Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
Ryan

Would it be possible to someday add the expansion packs or Mega packs to the steam version for people who would also like to purchase them?
That would be nice and generate revenue. Maybe someday I'll find the serial number to the heli mega pack I bought back with an older version of RF.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
Would it be possible to someday add the expansion packs or Mega packs to the steam version for people who would also like to purchase them? Will the steam workshop features be available to people since there are many more people that use steam and create custom content for the applications they use, or will they be directed to this forum?
We'd love to make the EP/MP content available to users once again. The physical disk versions have basically all been discontinued for some time now. We're not sure yet exactly what form this will take. There are a few possible approaches. So yes, we'd like to do this as DLC, but it will take a little time and we don't know when that might be available.

At least at this time we will not have support for the Steam Workshop. Users of the Steam version will use the swap pages just like non-Steam users. It's probably best to keep everyone & everything together as much as possible. We don't want to divide the customer base; at this time Steam is really just a delivery mechanism for the same software.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Also, we did a podcast with the RCGroups crew primarily about the Steam release!
Old 03-20-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
I believe you missed the sarcasm. to the old fasioned users, like my self, who perfer to support their local hobby shop than buy stuff online. This steam move is a slap in the face to the hobby shops and us old fasioned users.

If realflight goes 100% digital, and it is uncompress in the download. There is no way for people with wooden internet connection to download 10+ GB for RF9 or 30+ GB for RFX2.0
Conversely my local hobby shop is unable to stock and sell RealFlight because the distributor is having issues and recommended I get the Steam version. One of the larger mail order stores in the UK that I trust and would use has it seemingly permanently on back order.

Without a Steam version I wouldn't even entertain getting RF8 and would stick with what I currently use.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:25 PM
Administrator

It's out!
Old 03-21-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Douglas View Post
Excellent! How long before we have the ability for current product owners who bought retail to use Steam as well? I bought around Christmas time and had I known it was coming to Steam I might have waited and bought it on Steam. So the capability to use it on Steam is a big deal for me!

James

Last edited by StressLess; 03-21-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:52 PM
Administrator

I can certainly appreciate that. We don't know the answer to that right now, but it's something we'd like to do. It'll take work on our side. We'll definitely post when we know more and/or have that working! In the meantime, of course, nothing is taken away from the version you have.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:03 PM

I don't understand why this is such a big deal to you... you already have RF8 and the updates are downloadable from KnifeEdge. So if you have it already, it is a non-event for you. Now when it comes to the next release, it would be nice to have and preferable. Until then, no big deal. If you have steam you dl other games, but you already have this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressLess View Post
Excellent! How long before we have the ability for current product owners who bought retail to use Steam as well? I bought around Christmas time and had I known it was coming to Steam I might have waited and bought it on Steam. So the capability to use it on Steam is a big deal for me!James
Old 03-21-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
I don't understand why this is such a big deal to you... you already have RF8 and the updates are downloadable from KnifeEdge. So if you have it already, it is a non-event for you. Now when it comes to the next release, it would be nice to have and preferable. Until then, no big deal. If you have steam you dl other games, but you already have this one.
1. With Steam I can never misplace the installation DVD or the license code.
2. With Steam I can upgrade my computer and not have to worry if there is a DVD drive on it.
C. With Steam I'm able to install RF8 on more than one computer, as Steam DRM is tied to the Stream account that's logged in, so I can use it on the computer I'm logged into (though I suppose Knife Edge could likely nerf that up if they wanted to, but still). Think laptop while travelling for work or pleasure...
D. With Steam, RF8 becomes one of a library of apps I use on my computer that can be updated and maintained within a single, consistent interface.
5. In the event of data corruption, Steam is a one click repair solution.
6. And so on and so forth...

Hope I answered your question!

James
Old 03-21-2018, 05:54 PM

So I am off grid and I cannot play any of my software?
Old 03-21-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
So I am off grid and I cannot play any of my software?
You can use any of your steam applications offline. You just enter offline mode in the steam application.

Steam is really nice, in addition to what has already been said, I like that it automatically updates my software without me having to do anything. For me with several HDDs I can easily move the installation location from one HDD to another to free up space with just a few clicks and everything just works.

I can also live stream any game or software so that others can see what I am doing in real time through the steam interface.

Steam has hardware too. Their own game controller and the ability to stream from the PC to any TV in the house.

Last edited by csgill75; 03-21-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Bill Stuntz
I don't have Steam, but I DO have a few questions/comments about things I've read in this thread.

1) Does the Steam overhead decrease frame rates for people with marginal hardware?
2) Are installed Add-Ons, custom aircraft, etc. included in the Steam version - especially if you choose to move it to a different drive using Steam as suggested above? It seems unlikely to work due to hard-coded locations involved with custom aircraft, etc. Does Steam handle those things properly when it moves the program?
3) If I were to install the Steam version, would I then have 2 different copies of RF8, with different aircraft, airfields, settings, etc? Using twice the disk space? Or would it overwrite my existing non-Steam copy, wiping out my customizations?
3A) Would Steam allow me to synchronize RF8 on 2 different computers? When I run RF on my laptop, it's a PITA that that I'm missing all the extra stuff that I've installed on my main PC.

Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 03-21-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:40 PM

IF you already have rf8 (download version or cd) I do not see the point in buying the Steam version.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Stuntz View Post
1) Does the Steam overhead decrease frame rates for people with marginal hardware?
No, Steam imposes no additional overhead. Functionally, it is closer to the RealFlight Launcher than anything else, though it does a lot more.

What Steam is:
  • A store.
  • A delivery mechanism.
  • A framework within which additional features are possible, because RealFlight can incorporate Steam code into our application and take advantage of functionality it provides if we so choose.
What Steam is not:
  • A virtual machine or other complete environment in which RealFlight must run.
  • A demanding application that RealFlight must interact with or go through to do the same things it does in the non-Steam version.
It is worth noting that the Steam client does need to be running in the background, but that has no impact on regular RealFlight execution.

Quote:
2) Are installed Add-Ons, custom aircraft, etc. included in the Steam version - especially if you choose to move it to a different drive using Steam as suggested above? It seems unlikely to work due to hard-coded locations involved with custom aircraft, etc. Does Steam handle those things properly when it moves the program?
3A) Would Steam allow me to synchronize RF8 on 2 different computers? When I run RF on my laptop, it's a PITA that that I'm missing all the extra stuff that I've installed on my main PC.
The aircraft list in the Steam version is exactly the same as the DVD or Tower Hobbies digital versions of RF8. The Steam version supports the Expansion Packs and Mega Packs, so if you own those products on disk, you can install them for the Steam version just like you could for the non-Steam versions. The repackaged RealFlight Add-Ons volumes are supported as well. And it supports custom content that you create or import from the swap pages.

The kind of content described above is not automatically migrated between installations for you. That may become possible in the future. It's on our list of things to explore. That said, we hope to make content like the Expansion Packs available for purchase directly through Steam in the future, which would be included automatically in new installations.

Quote:
3) If I were to install the Steam version, would I then have 2 different copies of RF8, with different aircraft, airfields, settings, etc? Using twice the disk space? Or would it overwrite my existing non-Steam copy, wiping out my customizations?
Please do not do this! Be sure to uninstall your non-Steam version first. RealFlight 8 purchased through Steam is still RealFlight 8. What you're describing is no different than installing twice from a DVD in two different locations (except that people are more likely to do it...). The second installation is going to stomp on some key pieces of the first one such that you can no longer use or even uninstall it cleanly. Now, if that happens, we can walk you through a process to clean it up. But it's far better to avoid doing it in the first place.

I should probably make a fully researched new thread with a recommended procedure for switching over. For now, I recommend backing up your RealFlight.ini if you want to retain your settings, uninstalling your previous version and choosing to remove everything except custom content, then installing the Steam version and restoring your .ini.

I hope that helps everyone! Let us know if you have additional questions.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Bill Stuntz
I was basically playing "Devil's Advocate" and asking questions about potential pitfalls that were visible in my mind's eye. I hope the questions & your answers will help other people avoid problems.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: