Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 03-08-2018, 03:15 AM

Virtual Flight Instruction

Does anybody know where the "virtual flight instruction" mentioned in the overview video is? Is it just marketing lingo for "multiplayer" with voice chat?
Old 03-08-2018, 03:49 AM

Virtual Flight Instructor

In RealFlight 8, “Virtual Flight Instruction” (VFI) Is Available through The Console Commands:
While in RealFlight 8 Program
Open the Console with, ~ key.
While In Console, Type VFI, Then Hit Enter. (pic 1)
For a Full List of “Console Commands”, Enter the Console (~), Type, Help.
Tip: Type, Help Trainer, for a List, of Trainer Options, Currently not found in the Program, Main Menu.(pic 2)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VFI.JPG (147.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg help trainer.JPG (141.1 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by adrenoline 60; 03-08-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:14 AM

Wow, there's a lot of good stuff there! Why on earth would they burry it like that? Odd design choice.

Thanks adrenoline 60
Old 03-08-2018, 06:36 AM

In RealFlight 7.5 the Virtual Flight Instruction, Was in the main menu. See Pic Below.
It has been brought to administrations attention, it is missing in RF 8.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VFR 7.5.JPG (89.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by adrenoline 60; 03-12-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:12 PM
Administrator

A little more info: http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...6&postcount=12

In RF8 we hid a few areas of the software that we felt were the most dated or least helpful. That includes the VFIs in the former category and the Takeoff & Landing Trainers in the latter.

We didn't want to remove that content entirely and take anything away from people who are already familiar with it and would miss it in the latest version, though, so we left it accessible via the methods detailed above.

Since that change was made by design, I don't expect those features to reappear in the main menu in a future update. I suppose if there were widespread demand for it we might reconsider, but we haven't seen that as of yet.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:04 PM

Reinstate Virtual Flight Instruction to Main Menu RF-8

Count me as one, in Support of Restoring the Virtual Flight Instruction, to the Main Menu.
I think it is a Great Resource, that should remain Up Front, where it can be Found Easily.
If a Picture is worth a Thousand Words, how much more is a Compilation of Videos. An Inspiration to Whats Possible.
Its hard to Learn Move's, if you've Never Even Heard Of Them.
Let Alone, Figure Out, How to Enter, Execute, and Exit them Properly.
I just think it would be a great Disservice, to keep a Resource like this, Buried in the Back, as long as you still have it available.

If there's Anyone else out there, who feels the "Virtual Flight Instruction", Should Be Placed Back in the Main Menu, Speak Up!

Last edited by adrenoline 60; 03-12-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:45 AM

I have the RF8 download version and I do not even seem to have the console command (~). It shows up when I press H (help) but it does not do anything. Maybe this was omitted from the Download version in order to save download times? Probably a good idea imho.

I an a long time RF user (all versions since RF2) and I have never seen the need to use VFI. The best way to use RF is to experiment yourself, between trips to an actual flying field, and if you get into trouble ask for help (preferably local experienced help, or at least forum help). I think that the main use of any sim is to help program your thumbs (or pinchers, lol!) imho.

If you need to start off with a lot of RF sim help then you can always program the RF physics to beginner mode to begin with. Try to get it to realistic mode as soon as you can. Actually, I generally increase the physics time to at least 125% in order to help simulate the 'pucker factor' when you are actually flying at the field.

Also, if you want a walkthrough of any maneuver it's pretty easy to do a google search or a youtube search to find how to do these. Expecting any sim to provide you a step by step way to do these is a bit over the top, esp. when there are a lot of diff ways to do things.

My current RF8 download version does include some training and challenges but to be honest, I do not find any of these very useful.

I also have never seen any use for multiplayer. The only few times I tried it I thought it was just a few smart aleck video kids trying to out do each other and they were probably guys who could not even fly a paper aeroplane, lol!

So, just my opinion, but I would rather see RF concentrated on good physics and improvements to things like VR.

Last edited by TomC; 03-13-2018 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:33 AM

TomC, I agree completely, The only reason I bought RF, was to teach myself how to fly RC planes, train my brain, my thumbs,... hand / eye coordination, and most importantly, flying toward myself. RF taught me all that and more. I do like the aspect of being able to CS`s and modeling, so much so, that I`ve created some CS`s and one model for the swaps. In the end, I find RF most useful for beginners learning how to fly. Multiplayer can be fun for awhile, until it gets out of control, bombs, smoke etc. etc., to the point that it`s no fun anymore. But, overall, RF is great, very nice for winter days, when you can`t fly at the field and keeping the brain functioning for springtime real world flying.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:23 AM

Can VFI. I don’t use it much and any time I did use did not feel it was that helpful. Videos on YouTube are better.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:05 AM

If it wasn't for RF8 learning to fly helicopters would have been impossibly expensive. The hover training etc was invaluable. If it's not too difficult putting such stuff back in the menus on an update would be a good idea.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:59 PM

To me, as a newbie, it makes no sense to have VFI in RF8 and hide it. After discovering its existence thanks to this thread, I personally find it useful. I would think only some minor programming would be necessary for an update to create a link in the main menu and make VFI easy to to find for all.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:27 PM

The RF platform is simply fantastic...

Cant imagine the learning curve/heartbreak factor without it...
Old 03-17-2018, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
If it wasn't for RF8 learning to fly helicopters would have been impossibly expensive. The hover training etc was invaluable. If it's not too difficult putting such stuff back in the menus on an update would be a good idea.
You'll be happy to know that with RF8, under the top Training tab there is still a very good heli hover trainer.

Also, with RF8 (even my download version) if you go to the program(x86)folder you will find a Video Folder that contains Features (mainly RF adverts imho) and Training folders. The Training Folder has a few good tips, mainly for planes.

If you find you do not need these you can delete both of these folder and save ~0.3Gb of disk space. That's what I did.

Since most software like this will probably be internet download-only in the near future it's probably best for guys like RF to provide options prior to the download and allow some features to be added later by the customer (at no cost, just normal internet charges) if they think they would be useful.

I don't know, but I think that the SteamVr version will be a somewhat 'streamlined' version in order to minimise it's download file size.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:32 PM

Or maybe an option to delete all that stuff to reclaim it from wasted space.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:32 AM

Personally, I hate scouring the web/YouTube for info - it's way too hit an miss and results in a lot of wasted time before you finally get to what you're looking for (if you ever find it). I find it very helpful that VFI takes all the guesswork out of it. Another factor that was touched on earlier, is how do you search for something you don't know exists? I'm new to heli's and have done my time on YouTube, but all I found for heli aerobatics was extreme 3D. I didn't even know that the style of flying Todd Bennett demo's in RF existed! That's an entire style of flying that would have been unknown to me had it not been for VFI.

PS. The hover trainer is awesome - I use it every day and it's made a world of difference! Multiplayer, not so much. Ditch MP, and put VFI in it's place.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: