Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 10:44 AM

Worth Updating?

I have an old copy of RealFlight -- it's ver 4.5. I also bought a number of expansion packs. The program fell into disuse due to an old PC which just didn't have the power to run the program properly. Having just built a new PC, of course a much faster machine, I'm now interested in installing RealFlight. Since I originally spent over $200 for the basic program, plus more for the expansion packs, I have quite an investment in this old software. So what's my best course of action now? Should I consider using the old program, or will it even run under Windows 10? Even if it can, is the newest version of RealFLight so improved, would I be foolish to not upgrade? Any thoughts would be appreciated......

John
Old 06-11-2018, 11:03 AM

If I were you i’d Probably try just getting your RF4.5 going again, then decide. RF4.5 should work fine with your new pc and win10. Later you can decide whether or not to upgrade to RF8. I upgraded from RF5.5 and I think it’s a nice upgrade. Up to you to decide,
Old 06-11-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
I have an old copy of RealFlight -- it's ver 4.5. I also bought a number of expansion packs. The program fell into disuse due to an old PC which just didn't have the power to run the program properly. Having just built a new PC, of course a much faster machine, I'm now interested in installing RealFlight. Since I originally spent over $200 for the basic program, plus more for the expansion packs, I have quite an investment in this old software. So what's my best course of action now? Should I consider using the old program, or will it even run under Windows 10? Even if it can, is the newest version of RealFLight so improved, would I be foolish to not upgrade? Any thoughts would be appreciated......

John
You should definitely upgrade to RF-8 I wouldn't even think about staying with 4.5. I'm one of the modelers here and the planes being created for RF-8 is SO much better than anything before it. For instance the maximum triangle count in RF 6.5 was 20k, in RF 7.5 27k, in RF-8 it jumped to 135k so you can create highly detailed planes in RF-8. Like my latest plane. The 9 cylinder radial you see in it is an engine I modeled not painted on detail like you've seen in the past. If you load the plane in the RF Editor and look at it close it looks great. The engine itself is over 25k triangles you simply can't do this type of detail in any of the older versions, so go with RF-8 for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F8F-2 Bearcat 01.jpg (270.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg F8F-2 Bearcat 118.jpg (182.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 06-11-2018, 12:11 PM

If you had 7.5 maybe not .. but since you have 4.5 definitely worth it.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Bill Stuntz
I agree. RF8's a good upgrade. Since you already have a controller, you could go with the S/W only version. Or you could try the Steam version. I'm pretty sure you can buy the Steam version & "return" it within 14 days if you decide you don't want to keep it.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
If I were you id Probably try just getting your RF4.5 going again, then decide. RF4.5 should work fine with your new pc and win10. Later you can decide whether or not to upgrade to RF8. I upgraded from RF5.5 and I think its a nice upgrade. Up to you to decide,
I believe I'd rather decide now instead of trying an evaluation first. From what others have said, I can still use my existing controller, so that will lessen the upgrade cost I had been expecting.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:53 AM

Those photos of that plane and engine are really beautiful. I can see the point of upgrading. And another flyer said that I can use my existing controller, so that will save money. Or am I wrong about that? Is the latest controller different or improved enough such that I should consider buying that too?

Another aspect I cam confused about are Expansion Packs. On my first go-round with all this, I recall having to buy many expansion packs which significantly increased the overall price tag. Do you happen to know whether the latest version of the program comes with more builit-in planes, fields, and/or scenery when compared to my old rev 4.5? Or will I again need (or at least want) to invest in many Expansion Packs?
Old 06-12-2018, 12:03 PM

You can use your existing expansion packs as well as your older controller. There are also five add-ons you can download and install for free.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
If you had 7.5 maybe not .. but since you have 4.5 definitely worth it.
Given the consensus here, I expect to buy the latest version very soon.

Given the size of my older one, I assume the latest version is quite large. I hope there is a convenient way to save fixed data like scenery and maybe aircraft designs on another drive other than drive C:. I always like to keep the large caches of invariant files on another drive to keep my drive C: as small as possible for backup purposes.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Stuntz View Post
I agree. RF8's a good upgrade. Since you already have a controller, you could go with the S/W only version. Or you could try the Steam version. I'm pretty sure you can buy the Steam version & "return" it within 14 days if you decide you don't want to keep it.
I had no idea I might be able to use my old controller. It saw little use so it is like brand new. Still, I wonder if the latest controller would offer any benefits over my old one.....
Old 06-12-2018, 12:27 PM

The new version (RF-8) doesn't use a proprietary dongle anymore. Anything that shows up in windows as a controller can be used. It will even use dongles from other sims.

The controller upgrade is up to you. Very few models use the sliders on the back of it as of yet but you can program them in yourself.

If you have a real radio the OrangeRX wireless dongles are cheap and you can get them for both Spektrum and Frsky radios.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:48 PM

I had (have) 7.5 and upgraded to RF8 and purchased it with the controller because my old controller was well used. As it turns out, I dislike the layout of the new controller. For one, they put the flaps on a 3-position switch, and it requires removing my hand from the stick to activate it. The older controller had the flaps on a rotary knob, well within reach of a finger while my thumb was on the stick and also it was proportional.

I had to program the new controller to put the flaps on one of the slide switches. It works, but it is sort of upside down in operation. Not intuitive although I have gotten used to it.

Just my $0.02
Old 06-12-2018, 04:09 PM

FYI, the Steam version isn't an evaluation version. AFAIK, it's the same as the boxed or download versions, but it's installed via Steam. I'm not a Steam gamer, so I didn't do it that way, but I'm not aware of any reason NOT to use it. But I'm pretty sure that the steam version can be returned for credit if you don't like it. AFAIK, that's not true of the boxed or d/l versions.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
I had (have) 7.5 and upgraded to RF8 and purchased it with the controller because my old controller was well used. As it turns out, I dislike the layout of the new controller. For one, they put the flaps on a 3-position switch, and it requires removing my hand from the stick to activate it. The older controller had the flaps on a rotary knob, well within reach of a finger while my thumb was on the stick and also it was proportional.

I had to program the new controller to put the flaps on one of the slide switches. It works, but it is sort of upside down in operation. Not intuitive although I have gotten used to it.

Just my $0.02
Sorry I made an error in my post. Senior moment. Got confused with another radio.

The default flaps is indeed on a rotary knob on the RF8 controller. But in my particular case, it is smaller in diameter, and very, very hard to rotate. I could not rotate it with a finger, so I made a global change to a slider switch which moved the flaps for every aircraft to the slider.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
The default flaps is indeed on a rotary knob on the RF8 controller. But in my particular case, it is smaller in diameter, and very, very hard to rotate. I could not rotate it with a finger, so I made a global change to a slider switch which moved the flaps for every aircraft to the slider.
That sounds like a great idea. I usually use my older Interlink Elite since there aren't any planes that use the sliders.

I don't like the flap knob on my Interink-X controller, either. It's too stiff, and feels like it has a built-in ratchet - it clicks when I spin it. When I converted from the ratcheted throttle to the smooth one, I looked at the the flap pot & 3-position switch. I was very tempted to swap the positions, but the pot's wires are a little too short to reach. I think I'll replace the pot with a smooth one & extend the wires to make it work if I decide to do it. But I suppose it would be best to just remap the flap knob to the right-side slider like you did.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: