Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Sorry mate, unlike your last post, there was no flaming intended. I only meant it as a request for you to avoid asking the same ?'s over and over again.

Imho, even a newbie can successfully install and use RF8. All you need to do is read the startup and check that your pc meets requirements. Then, refer to the full realflight 8 manual that should be in your realflight/document folder (or google to find an online copy).

I'm sorry if any of this ruffles your feathers but biting the hand that tries to pull you out of the shark tank is not often a good idea, lol!

In any case, good luck and have fun.
I believe any hand biting was purely unintentional, and frankly more the other way around. Re-read my initial query and you will see it was simply whether to update to RF8. There were various opinions, all of which I replied to out of courtesy. The consensus was the latest version was worth it, so I bought it and have been trying to relearn whatever flying skills I once had. Other than that, my only other questions have had to do with Add-ons and Exp packs -- same thing: are they worth it, etc. If I have been repetitious, sorry, not my intention.

You seem to be an experienced user, so let me suggest that you try to do what may be a semi-impossible task. Try to recall when you first got RF (probably many years ago) and then when you tried to learn all about it. BTW, the last time I flew actual RC aircraft was decades ago, so I have little to go on. I was told at a local RC airfield that this program might help me attain some skills, so this is why I got it.

Thanks to all for your help -- bye for now.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:41 PM

Ya well, good luck with all that and I hope you successfully manage to get back into the RC hobby.

Last edited by TomC; 06-30-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
I believe any hand biting was purely unintentional, and frankly more the other way around. Re-read my initial query and you will see it was simply whether to update to RF8. There were various opinions, all of which I replied to out of courtesy. The consensus was the latest version was worth it, so I bought it and have been trying to relearn whatever flying skills I once had. Other than that, my only other questions have had to do with Add-ons and Exp packs -- same thing: are they worth it, etc. If I have been repetitious, sorry, not my intention.

You seem to be an experienced user, so let me suggest that you try to do what may be a semi-impossible task. Try to recall when you first got RF (probably many years ago) and then when you tried to learn all about it. BTW, the last time I flew actual RC aircraft was decades ago, so I have little to go on. I was told at a local RC airfield that this program might help me attain some skills, so this is why I got it.

Thanks to all for your help -- bye for now.
JDH, I`ve been there and done that, For what ever reason a lot newbies to the RF forums don`t get treated well IMHO, sad but true. I can tell you that RF was detrimental in teaching me and my son how to fly 4 channel (no wrecks yet ) SO, use it well, you`ll be happy with your results (hopefully) when you get to flying field. It`s great at teaching you the TX, flying away AND towards yourself and orientation.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle twist View Post
JDH, I`ve been there and done that, For what ever reason a lot newbies to the RF forums don`t get treated well IMHO, sad but true. I can tell you that RF was detrimental in teaching me and my son how to fly 4 channel (no wrecks yet ) SO, use it well, you`ll be happy with your results (hopefully) when you get to flying field. It`s great at teaching you the TX, flying away AND towards yourself and orientation.
I donít think you meant to say RF was detrimental?

Also, I think that most newbies are treated fairly, maybe a bit firmly at times, lol!
Old 06-30-2018, 10:41 PM

Look up the definition...sure, there are many words I could have used. That`s only one of many. Maybe I should have said useful, or handy to keep it simple.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Look up the definition...sure, there are many words I could have used. That`s only one of many. Maybe I should have said useful, or handy to keep it simple.
Detrimental = tend to cause harm. So kinda opposite of what you meant I think. Although, too much reliance on sims can be a little detrimental because it may lead to overconfidence.

I think that RF is a great tx stick trainer but you really only properly get trained up at the flying field imho.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Detrimental = tend to cause harm. So kinda opposite of what you meant I think. Although, too much reliance on sims can be a little detrimental because it may lead to overconfidence.

I think that RF is a great tx stick trainer but you really only properly get trained up at the flying field imho.
Ha Ha TomC If you really looked up the word/definition, you would have found that it can be used in a negative context AS WELL as a POSITIVE context... search a little more and you`ll see I`m correct., BUT I repeat, RF was "detrimental" in teaching me how to fly 4 channel in the sim. as well as at the field. Smell what I`m stepping in now, The POSITIVE use of the word.... AND I (with respect) half way disagree with the latter part of your comment, use of the sim. only teaches confidence. NO wrecked planes in my house (thus far ) is proof enough for me. However, nothing beats flying at the field, I mean, Isn`t that the goal.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Ha Ha TomC If you really looked up the word/definition, you would have found that it can be used in a negative context AS WELL as a POSITIVE context... search a little more and you`ll see I`m correct., BUT I repeat, RF was "detrimental" in teaching me how to fly 4 channel in the sim. as well as at the field. Smell what I`m stepping in now, The POSITIVE use of the word.... AND I (with respect) half way disagree with the latter part of your comment, use of the sim. only teaches confidence. NO wrecked planes in my house (thus far ) is proof enough for me. However, nothing beats flying at the field, I mean, Isn`t that the goal.
Mate you must have a diff dictionary than I (or Google) have. So, if I say something like your posts are terrible then it could take the opposite context and mean they are really very good?

Sorry, but I could not resist replying to this. Not really important in the great scheme of things is it? I get caught with silly spellchecks lots of times btw.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:28 AM

I give up ....MATE. Everything is the opposite in Australia, GEEZ even your toilets flush in the opposite direction LOL
Old 07-01-2018, 04:22 AM

Quote:
I give up ....MATE. Everything is the opposite in Australia, GEEZ even your toilets flush in the opposite direction LOL

Sorry but most things are the same mate. Like you, a turd is still a turd, lol!
Old 07-01-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
My earlier experience with "real" RC was long ago, before the advent of personal computers in fact. So we had no learning tools -- just go out and try not to crash. Jump forward several decades, and I found a local flying field and the experienced pilots there suggested RF in an attempt to get me past exactly what you mentioned -- the flying toward oneself problem. So I will work with RF and hope to rub off some of the rust <g>.

On treatment in forums, 99% of the time most discussions have been courteous and helpful (and this dates back to the days of Compuserve). However, every so often a "flame war" would erupt when someone decided to be judgemental or argumentative. This is always sad to see.......
Old 07-01-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I donít think you meant to say RF was detrimental?

Also, I think that most newbies are treated fairly, maybe a bit firmly at times, lol!
I'm not quite sure why anyone should be treated "firmly". At least among adults, I would suggest that this is no more appropriate in an online forum than it would be at a real face-to-face social gathering or party. Best behavior is, well..... best. As is often said, just my 2 cents.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Sorry but most things are the same mate. Like you, a turd is still a turd, lol!
Looks folks, if you have not walked a mile in the other guy's moccasins, you can't make accurate assessments. I bet it never crossed your mind that there are members here who are disabled and so simply cannot go to flying fields nor ever really get into the underlying hobby of RC. So maybe the best they can do is to use an RC sim. People of this ilk are often not likely to mention their situation. Just something to ponder.....
Old 07-01-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
My earlier experience with "real" RC was long ago, before the advent of personal computers in fact. So we had no learning tools -- just go out and try not to crash. Jump forward several decades, and I found a local flying field and the experienced pilots there suggested RF in an attempt to get me past exactly what you mentioned -- the flying toward oneself problem. So I will work with RF and hope to rub off some of the rust <g>.

On treatment in forums, 99% of the time most discussions have been courteous and helpful (and this dates back to the days of Compuserve). However, every so often a "flame war" would erupt when someone decided to be judgemental or argumentative. This is always sad to see.......
Quote:
I'm not quite sure why anyone should be treated "firmly". At least among adults, I would suggest that this is no more appropriate in an online forum than it would be at a real face-to-face social gathering or party. Best behavior is, well..... best. As is often said, just my 2 cents.
I gotta say you really are a piece of work. Not only do you not contribute anything useful to this forum, you bash the guys who try to help.

You are not even a Newbie since you already have RF 4.5.

Sorry, just my $0.02 worth. lol! And a firm farwell.

Last edited by TomC; 07-01-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I gotta say you really are a piece of work. Not only do you not contribute anything useful to this forum, you bash the guys who try to help.

You are not even a Newbie since you already have RF 4.5.

Sorry, just my $0.02 worth. lol! And a firm farwell.
TomC, JDH has only been a member for less than a month, So, where are you getting your info from in regards to RF 4.5, not that...that matters anyway. BUT, how do you expect him to make a contribution in such a short period of time, when he`s still trying to learn the product Talk about contributions, you`ve been a member since 2009, and your file page is EMPTY, SO, why don`t you trying doing a CS, an AV, OR, for that matter a model. You`re not contributing by making the comments that you`re making. You`re only making yourself less liked in these forums, and making a fool of yourself. You say sorry, but you`re not, so keep your .02 cents to yourself, and when you say farewell, MEAN IT. I`ll bet you won`t .. You must be a lonely person, coming to the forums looking for attention. get a life!!!.....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: