Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 08-01-2019, 04:49 AM

Unhappy Support for WS1000 dongle in RF-X

I have the dreaded "no authorized controller" error after installing my new software only RF-X version. As the RF-8 seems to support my WS1000 + DX6e, I believed RF-X would be no different.

Is there any way to make this work or do I have to actually get an interlink controller I didn't want in the first place?

I'm very disappointed that this flawed "copy protection" scheme is still being used in 2019 without it being mentioned anywhere.

PS:yes, the controller dongle works in other simulators just fine.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:53 AM

RF-X only works with the interlink controller, the wireless SLT dongle, or the wired interface available for RealFlight 7.5. It was released long before RF8 and does not have the same functionality.

https://www.realflight.com/products/...irements#about

The system requirements page for the software only version has an interlink listed in the requirements. It hasn't been hidden anywhere

Last edited by csgill75; 08-01-2019 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:59 AM

csgill75, thanks for the clarification.

I really didn't read that page as "RF-X will not run without an Interlink", only that the Interlink needs a USB port.

I'm new to Realflight and frankly the numbering between RF8 and RF-X led me to believe that RF-X was the latest version. Unless you're familiar with the publisher, there really isn't much to say otherwise.

That said, I still believe that insisting on Interlink to run is a crappy move that competitors do without.

So for clarification, will RF-X run with older Interlink/Realflight controllers (i'm thinking Ebay) or do I need the Interlink-X?
Old 08-02-2019, 10:05 AM

It runs with the interlink elite and the InterLink-X it is sold with. I prefer the elite as its a futaba based controller and it's much sturdier.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:03 AM

Thanks, now for the Elite controllers, can they be switched from Mode 2 to Mode 1? (I expect minor rewiring and/or screwdriver surgery may be necessary)
Old 08-03-2019, 05:29 AM

Yes they can be switched to Mode 1. It's very easy to open the controller.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rygarto View Post
csgill75, thanks for the clarification.

I really didn't read that page as "RF-X will not run without an Interlink", only that the Interlink needs a USB port.

I'm new to Realflight and frankly the numbering between RF8 and RF-X led me to believe that RF-X was the latest version. Unless you're familiar with the publisher, there really isn't much to say otherwise.

That said, I still believe that insisting on Interlink to run is a crappy move that competitors do without.

So for clarification, will RF-X run with older Interlink/Realflight controllers (i'm thinking Ebay) or do I need the Interlink-X?
RF 7.5 was supposed to be the last "legacy" version. It's biggest flaw was that the 3rd party tools some used to create new aircraft had become very old, and largely unavailable. It used pretty old graphics technology.

X was introduced with great fanfare as the latest and greatest, with an all new graphics engine and promised compatibility with more modern design tools. It was released with large parts of the old RF capabilities not available, but with promises that they would be coming along as the software matured. It had one bigger version update (free) that addressed some of the initial issues. It received a LOT of criticism as one needed what was, at the time, a very high end machine to run it in all its graphics glory.

Then they found an alternative 3rd party design process that would work with the older version, were able to layer in VR capability, and eliminate the dongle - so RF 8 was released. Speculation, but probably an attempt to win back sales from those that did not buy X due to the hardware requirements.

The hobby industry did it's implosion thing, and Horizon became the distributor for RF, which prompted the "Horizon Hobby" version (added some HH planes and related functions, so a minor upgrade to RF 8).

You can read the rants here about whether "X" has been orphaned or not - total silence from RF about it for a very long time. Updates to the old RF used to come at a moderate pace. Except for the HH version, it's been very quiet on that front also.
We're holding our breath, new significant versions are usually rolled out in time for the Holiday season (don't expect much in the way of an "upgrade" deal, though).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: