Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight G5 & G4 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:13 PM

Red face Ideas on spiffying up an airport object

Ok; Now this will probably get me branded as a kook, but here I go:

In the interests of modeling accuracy for a specific flying environment, I have taken the plunge and created a beta level airport object, "cow poop". (well, at the moment it's called "cow pie", but I sort of like the above better)

Why? you are probably all thinking.

Well, the reason involves a story I think is hilarious, the key elements involve an intrepid aviator with a decent sized ego (not me btw), a Texas pasture, a power line, and a really nice (past tense) R/C Piper Cub, and a picture taken by my Stepson (and boy did he catch heck for taking the picture!). Somehow the aviator managed to find the one section of the pasture with a power line, clipped it with the Piper, neatly removed the wing, and the whole business came to rest in the,,,, cow poop.

Anyway, when I got hit by this bug I realized immediately that I needed a cow poop object for realism.

Currently said object is set as a dynamic object, it looks pretty much like real, I've tried the various options in RF to have it react when hit. I've found with mud it doesn't do anything, and with foam it moves about, sand also,,,,,,, anyway, I realize that with it being a solid blob it probably can't come apart, I was hoping for it to deform, but it doesn't seem to do that.

So you can hopefully see, there is a lot of room to make it more sophisticated. I was thinking I need to model it in 3dsmax as more than one object I guess, joined together, then would it break apart on impact? Any ideas on how to cause it to deform? I suppose having it splash all over the impacting object, like the prototype does, is out of the question......... ???

Once you have decided whether or not to report me to AMA or ban me from the group (please don't), your thoughts would be appreciated.

cheers
cactus
Old 07-16-2011, 01:58 AM

At the moment, I know Realflight doesn't allow objects to deform upon collisions.

What a horrible ending to your plane by the way.

Don't let physical inactivity take away your health. It's a hard lesson for those of us with desk jobs, but also for those that work at home from a PC as a second source of income. I'm lucky to still be alive.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:07 PM

ahhh,,,, well then, I guess I'll have to go with a realistic look.

thanks for the info!
Old 07-16-2011, 12:57 PM

Only thing I can think of it to model two half of it at two separate objects CP1 and CP2. Maybe model one half, but make the broken side in a pattern so when it touched another one rotated 180 degrees it forms one like a Ying Yang emblem.

We fly at a field that has a lot of Geese droppings. These pellets are the size of tootsie rolls and apparently dogs really like them. It the grass is a bit high the pellets lay on top of the grass. This all way brings out a laughs or two as your plane goes down the runway knocking a few up in to the air.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: