Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 09-14-2018, 10:52 AM

Angry Graphics Card

My graphics card is not cutting it with RF8. Does anyone know which card I should be getting.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdrgregory View Post
My graphics card is not cutting it with RF8. Does anyone know which card I should be getting.
That depends on how you're using RF. Let us know what you have now and if you're using VR, or PLAN to use VR if you're not using it now. VR takes quite a bit of power compared to just using it normally.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdrgregory View Post
what is you current set up (hardware) and settings (in rf). you may be running on an integrated cpu/gpu. and a picture of this would help us
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-09-14 11_38_16-Window.jpg (38.3 KB, 82 views)
Old 09-14-2018, 04:11 PM

In general, a gtx1060, or better, should work well.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
In general, a gtx1060, or better, should work well.
really your just going to tell this person to jump off the deep end and buy a graphics card that he maybe does not need.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
really your just going to tell this person to jump off the deep end and buy a graphics card that he maybe does not need.
I'm not telling the OP to jump in and buy anything. Just saying gtx1060 or better graphics cards seem to work well for me; 1060 6gb internal, 1080ti 11gb external with Alienware Graphics Amplifier.

Up to the OP to decide what to buy based on his or hers PC setup imho. Also, the OP should have reviewed RF min/recommended specs and researched this in this forum beforehand.

Ask a fluffy question, get a fluffy answer, lol!
Old 09-14-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Ask a fluffy question, get a fluffy answer, lol!
Give a stupid answer, defend a stupid answer.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
Sorry if that's what it looks like to you mate. I'll try harder in the future to meet your high forum standards, lol!
Old 09-17-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
. I'll try harder in the future to meet your high forum standards.
It would be appreciated.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:28 AM

I have a 1060, to be honest it is a bit overkill for RF8. Unless you are going to run in VR mode RF8 is not terribly demanding as far as video games go. I would be willing to bet I could run it just fine on my 750ti

Not sure if having the steam version makes a difference either.

Like the others said in the start of this thread, we really need to know what you currently have as far as system specs. Like what video card, what cpu, how much ram. Even what hard drive you use and version of windows could effect it. And older mechanical drive that is pretty full, especially a slower 5400 rpm one like what you would find in a laptop would effect how well it might run.

Also what settings you are trying to use in the game. And what sort of problems are you having specifically? Could be something as simple as turning down a few of the setting. This game doesn't need everything cranked to the max if it taxes your system. Honestly as far as sims and videos games go it doesn't have great looking graphics. I think RFX they went for better graphics and it for some reason the simulator didn't catch on very well. I don't know why, never used it to be honest. For a simulator the physics are the most important thing.

And if you are running VR you need a pretty cutting edge system. Pretty much anything in VR is pretty demanding because of how it is rendered.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:28 AM

If you are buying a computer graphics card you should not be buying for yesterday's software. You should be buying for what is coming. I do not think that a gtx1060 card would be planning for the future. At the moment, I would be waiting for the 2080 cards to drop on the market in the next 2 weeks. There should be a price drop in the 1080 cards after that.

GTX1080 would be the bottom card that I would purchase. You have to pay to play.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:32 PM

All depends on what you are doing with your computer. Spending a butt load of money on hardware you will never utilize is simply a waste of money. If you are a hard core gamer and want to play the newest cutting edge games with maxed out settings on 4k. Or want to do VR, professional video editing or graphics design then I would say ya, spring for a 1080ti if you can afford it.

You also have to have the existing hardware to support that card, if you don't it isn't going to do much for you. Something is just going bottle neck it.

If someone just wants to play a RC simulator and surf the internet a 1080 is pretty overkill, heck the 1060 might be overkill depending on your budget. I have 4 racing simulators, 2 flight sims, 3 RC sims, a few "shooter/story" based games and play Second Life. I also do light video editing, graphics editing video capture and run blender. My ryzen 5 system with 16 gigs of ram, two ssds a decent power supply and a 1060 doesn't have any trouble keeping up. As a matter of fact hardly any of it even makes my video card throttle up.

Now if you can afford a 1080, can find one and have the supporting hardware then sure, buy one. I wouldn't expect the prices to drop too much either. They might come down a little, but it won't be anything shocking I am sure. Most of it is driven by supply and demand and the mining community. From what I can tell from all the tech sites I follow you are not going to see any jaw dropping price decreases. A used card is always something to consider though. Quite a few will be moving to the 20xx cards and might be putting their 10 series cards up for sale.

Me personally I would want to know what someone intends to do with their computer, what their budget is and what their current system is before I suggested dropping 500 plus on a video card. Especially if they just want to play RF8 to practice their flying. Like I said, it really isn't that demanding.

And honestly some of the older software is actually more demanding. Microsoft FSX is ancient and honestly it is one of the more demanding programs I have. Especially if you are using some of the add-ons. For most average computer users I would suggest a decent SSD before I would a high end graphics card.

I would say it all depends on your budget and what your priorities are. Lets be honest here, for what some of these video cards cost you could get a new RC plane or two.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmohr View Post
For most average computer users I would suggest a decent SSD before I would a high end graphics card.

I would say it all depends on your budget and what your priorities are. Lets be honest here, for what some of these video cards cost you could get a new RC plane or two.
The graphics card might prevent a couple of crashes. So it is the better buy. Once you have used VR on a decent system, you will not want to go back. SSD is a given.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:33 PM

Well the original poster never replied with what his issue was or what he was using so it basically impossible to trouble shoot such a vague question.

Now with VR, sure I would suggest a 1080ti. You need a pretty good system to run VR. Also if you are running higher resolutions, multiple monitors and high refresh rates.

However for some like me running at 1080P at 60hz the 1080ti is not very good choice. As a matter of fact at 1080p that card is actually bottle necked by the cpu. It doesn't shine until you get into higher resolutions and refresh rates.

Now that benchmarks are coming out for the new 20xx cards we are seeing the performance isn't all that impressive per dollar. Some are even saying for 1080p at 60hz the 1070 is still the best bang for your buck.

I can actually get a solid 60 fps at 4k on RF8 with my GTX1060.

I am really curious what hardware this guy is running and what his issues are. Heck it could be a driver issue or conflicting sofwtare or something for all we know.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
With guys like this itís unlikely that anyone would want to use this forum imho.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: