Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 10-19-2018, 08:03 PM

What's the correct screen size & viewing distance for RF8?

I'm just started using RF8 to help me get back to RC Flying, after a break of some years. At the moment, I'm running RF8 on a 14 inch Laptop at 1920 x 1080 (Nvidia running at max resolution for the screen). I suspect that the 14 screen is not large enough, as the aircraft appear to 'disappear' at considerably closer distance than I remember.

I assume that for an RF8 pilot to be "seeing" a life like view on the Screen (a view that matches what would be seen when flying a real model), that there must be an optimum screen viewing distance for a given screen size (and possibly for a given screen resolution). Can anyone provide some input / assistance on this ?

Regards,

Bocean
Old 10-20-2018, 08:05 AM

I run RF8 on a smaller laptop as well. This Lenova has an HDMI port. I usually keep it connected to a dedicated 40" 4000K tv with much better results, It runs smooth. You'll need to play with your resolution a bit.

Dave
Old 10-24-2018, 12:58 PM

Good RF8 Video Experience

Rather than just screen size, there are several factors that come into play.

Resolution - the more pixels the better to a point. 1080p (1920x1200) is what I am using. I don't think that you really see more using a 4K monitor. The program is just not delivering a higher quality.

Screen Size - I am using double 24in monitors. The second monitor does not improve the experience because most of the action occurs at the split between the two screens. I just use one monitor. A larger monitor might be nice but does not change anything. If the aircraft is a dot on the screen, you need to press the red button. You have crashed. Learn to fly closer. It is the best lesson you will learn in RC.

Graphics Card - This is perhaps the most important ingredient of all. The better the card, the better the experience. If you are getting less than 60 frames per second, you need to decrease the resolution. A jerky frame rate is most annoying and will not give you a good experience.

Power Supply - Make sure that you have an adequate power supply. You can experience all types of problems if this is not properly sized. Too large will waste power.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: