Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 6 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:34 AM

I'll give you that. It may not be hard. Thus why I would like to understand it better. What was I missing? What was I doing wrong? I'm trying to learn here.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:34 AM

Jeff don't you remember about a year and a half ago you were having issues going between software? We spent over an hour on the phone trying to figure out what was going on. I believe that's when we figured obj was the best route. If you remember that then you should concede that it is highly possible that someone using 2 programs to accomplish a model will have problems.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
And my point is that that issue is far from the most difficult process that you'll encounter while learning how to get a model into Real Flight, no matter which software you use to model. You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill. If it were as difficult as you guys seem to want to make it be, I wouldn't do it. I couldn't do it.
Of coarse there will be difficulties just doing your first model. That's a given. Why add problems though?
Old 12-07-2012, 11:02 AM

It's not a problem!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boof69
you should concede that it is highly possible that someone using 2 programs to accomplish a model will have problems.
But you can't concede that people who know what they're doing won't have problems.

Once again, it is far easier to learn how to export/import properly than to learn how to model in whatever program you choose to model with. There are far more difficult tasks to learn to build a model than exporting and importing. It is not that big of a deal! Why do you make it sound like a root canal??
Old 12-07-2012, 11:09 AM

Look, why do you do retracts? Models are far easier to do when you avoid that problem. Why do you put so many movable pods in your models? They just make models more complicated than they need to be. You know that retracts and multiple moving parts aren't that big of a deal, when you know how to work with them. Not worth avoiding, is it? It's the same thing with exporting and importing. Yes, I remember having difficulties doing that early on. I also had difficulties doing retracts. But I learn, and then it's not a big deal!!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:41 AM

Here's another way to put it: should we recommend newbies don't bother importing swap files. Most of them will do it wrong. They won't have those problems if they don't bother with swap files. Of course we wouldn't recommend that! We tell them how to import a file using the correct method, and then they see how easy it is!! That too is not a problem when you know how to do it.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:32 PM

Good points but all the points you mentioned are all normal problems to do with modeling different types of models at different levels of complexity. Every last one unavoidable. What you fail to hear me saying is that importing and exporting issues don't need to be experienced no matter what your modeling. Hence the original suggestion to stick with the one that prevents those issues. You seem to forget the frustrations now that you know what settings to use for the obj export never the less it was a hurdle you overcame. It was necessary too because you had already learned wings. A 3d virgin should never need to ask these questions if he learns Max. He/she can just concentrate on the innate problems of modeling and not the unnecessary issues or exporting and importing files. Of coarse if said person is dedicated enough to learn how to model they will soon find a way around the things we're talking about. I guess the question is why?
Old 12-07-2012, 01:50 PM

There are so many more difficult "hurdles" to overcome in learning how to model than the "hurdle" of exporting and importing. It's really not that big of a deal. I don't know why you insist on making it out to be. I'd gladly help someone who's stuck on that process the same as you would help someone stuck on something that you knew the answer to. Your description of the solution as a "workaround" is inaccurate too, the same as describing NUP values as being a "workaround." It's part of the procedure. Focusing on the export/import process is a mistake in deciding which software you want to use to model. It's not a big deal to start in Wings, and finish in Max. Really.

If someone feels more comfortable in going Max all the way, great! I say go for it. If they want to use Wings, that's fine, too. There's plenty of help here no matter which software someone wants to learn.

Finis.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:53 PM

Oh I get it now. I see your right. Sorry for arguing.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Banned

Simple answer USE 3DSMAX its free and if you get good at it you can GET PAID! Its also what your supposed to use.

"KEmax Toolkit(3DStudio Max 2012)

Download the KEmax Toolkit which contains the exporter plugin for 3dsmax. This version is compatible with 3dsmax 2012 only."

LINK
Old 12-07-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boof69 View Post
I guess the question is why?
The answer there is very simple. When I started down this road, student copies of Max were not easy to get and Wings was free. I did try GMAX, but it was so limited as to be useless.

EDIT: I also tried out Blender during this period and found it so convoluted as to be more frustrating than it was worth, figured it must have been developed by Microsoft on one of their really bad days.

Last edited by dhk79; 12-07-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:58 PM

Hi guys,

I never expected this thread to get 85 replies, but hey that's fine

I have one quick question: What company makes Wings design software?

Thanks,

Noah
Old 12-07-2012, 05:03 PM

http://www.wings3d.com/
Old 12-07-2012, 05:03 PM

Wings 3D is open source and its continued devolopment is via a user community.

http://www.wings3d.com
Old 12-07-2012, 05:52 PM

Thanks. I'm gonna get that for now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: