Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G2
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 11-23-2002, 01:55 PM

First Flight (successful one)

I just flew my trainer plane solo, after spending about 10 minutes with another pilot on a buddy box. I've tried to fly on my own several years ago and promptly destroyed 2 aircraft. I bought RFG2 about a year ago, and praticed with it. So today I finally did it. It was a short flight, I didn't relize how much wind there was, about 15-20mph gust, so it took several passes to get the landing setup right. But I still have a perfectly good airplane to try again later. Noone was around to see it, so I just wanted to share this.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:27 AM

GREAT!... That's the way it's supposed to happen....
Old 11-24-2002, 01:46 PM

1st flight

That's great to hear. two years ago a new pilot asked me to train him and told me he had been using RF and had never flown. So we got his plane checked out and buddy boxed him up, and I have to tell you I never took my hand away from the buddy switch, he did it all from taxi to take off through a few manuvers to landing. He was my best student ever.
Old 11-28-2002, 10:12 AM

Same thing happened to me!...

I've been messing with R/C monster trucks for quite a while...and decided to try planes...

I picked up a Hobbico SuperStar .40 trainer, and G2 at the same time....I built the plane, and started practicing with the G2....after 2 weeks, I could land the G2 trainer 10 for 10 times, so I headed out to try flying the "real thing"....

Success!...I took off, flew around then landed without a hitch!....My buddy with me couldn't believe his eyes!....He had to learn the HARD WAY (crashed about 7 planes, before success)....He says he still can't believe it everytime I fly my plane!....

Realflight G2 is worth every penny!
Old 11-28-2002, 05:11 PM

When it works it works. RF is going to put all those clup trainers out of business and they're going to have to start flying themselves again...
Old 11-29-2002, 05:35 PM

That's the plane I've got Bog, Superstar 40. I just bought an Avistar also, but I haven't built it yet. I did find an Avistar on the RF2 swap page, and it seems a little more acrobatic. Also, if you edit the Avistar to have a flat bottom wing, it fells just like the Superstar.
Old 11-29-2002, 08:43 PM

First Flight

Hey telco, I have been thinking about getting an Avistar as my 2nd plane!....just to try out some mild aerobatics (and simply cause I want another plane! heh heh)....

Let me know how you like it, once you get it built!....
Old 12-03-2002, 10:48 PM

Avistar is built, it's got an ASP 40 in it, and now I'm just waiting for some clear weather here in Dallas.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:56 PM

Also, a bunch of guys have Avistars here at the local field, most of them run OS 46's and they really move across the sky, and spin and loop around in a fraction of the airspace that my Superstar can. I'm really looking foward to flying this one.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:15 PM

Avistar=fun, 1 day, 10 flights e'nuff said....
Old 12-11-2002, 06:33 AM

Great!.....

Hey telco, that's outstanding!......

I'm probably going to take the same route as you and get an Avistar.....

Does it handle about the same as the Superstar, or is there a HUGE difference in "feel" between the two planes?....
Old 12-12-2002, 10:13 PM

It flies alot like the Superstar, just more responsive. You can do rolls and fly inverted without the thing trying to dive to the ground. I have an ASP 40 engine on it with a 10x6 prop and it will climb straight up verticle as long as you want it to. I've had 2 or 3 deadstick landings with it, and it was no problem, just like the Superstar. 1 thing I was told to do on both of these planes was to buy a smaller(2.25") low-bounce nose gear wheel. I did it and it made a big difference on the landings, no more 3-5 hops on landings, the nose is slightly lower with this wheel so when you land it right, it sticks like velcro to the runway.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:21 AM

You must have flown Thursday evening during the clearing...
Old 12-13-2002, 06:32 AM

Thanks for the good review!....

Looks like I'm going to try the Avistar next!....

Although, I haven't gotten a chance to put very many hours on my SupserStar...I've only flown it about 10 times....99 percent of my flights have been on G2 with a modified (made harder) PT-40....
Old 12-14-2002, 02:34 PM

Hi Guys,

I started off with an AVistar, and I posted the Avistar plane file to www.realflight.com/swap I can tell you that it flies amost exactly like the real model. I had an OS 40 LA in mine, and the G2 model is the same. It is a great plane to learn aerobatics on.

FWIW, I started with G2 and the Avistar ... then jumped of to a GP Extra 300S. The guys at my club were amazed too. It wasn't me, it was RealFlight.

Happy landings.

Carl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: