Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:08 PM

Question No throttle control for Heli-Max FORM500

I have been unable to get this quadcopter off the ground. Is there an arming sequence that I'm missing or something else I should try? I can fly other drone models okay in RF8. Thank you.

Last edited by cunningt; 10-02-2019 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Make title more clear.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:03 PM

Call up the gadget window and make sure you know what flight mode you have selected. The flight mode switch for me is usually the 3-way top left one. What controller are you using?
Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my previous Alienware AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd. Asus ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus vg248qe 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:07 PM

It would be really nice if aircraft authors would put control information in the description when you edit the aircraft. Alas, this is a KE supplied aircraft, so you are left with experimentation. NO, the realflight version does not "include Intelligent Orientation Control, Altitude Hold, Return to Home, and more". So, you are left to look at the various setup settings. It seems to have lo/hi rates on channel 5. The mode switch (left 3-pos) seems to control something. Seems to have smart heading mode. One of the positions is dead. Other two allow flight.

It would be especially nice for designer (KNIFE EDGE) to document their aircraft.

Quote:
This is from aircraft description: The widespread appeal of camera-equipped drones is undeniable. But the adaptability of the FORM500 makes it especially interesting to R/C hobbyists. It features twin mounting rails for attaching accessories, including a fixed-positioned camera found on this model that's perfect for FPV flying. The model's impressive 500mm diagonal span provides the lift to carry payloads of over a kilogram. It's also stable and easy to handle, with built-in piloting aids that include Intelligent Orientation Control, Altitude Hold, Return to Home, and more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cunningt View Post
I have been unable to get this quadcopter off the ground. Is there an arming sequence that I'm missing or something else I should try? I can fly other drone models okay in RF8. Thank you.

Last edited by 12oclockhigh; 10-05-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:54 PM

Sorry for the delay, thank you both! I'm still new to all this, and your info helped me to get it all working.

The Heli-Max FORM500's default Flight Mode is set to GPS-locked "Return to Home" which is why I wasn't able to get it off the ground (now I realize, that mode is only meant to be enabled after you are in the air, otherwise you are stuck in place on the ground), and none of my switches had been assigned to "Channel 5 - Dual Rates" which prevented me from toggling to other Flight Modes.

In case anyone is interested in the details:

I was originally having problems with "seemingly" only this multirotor aircraft for both my very old 7-channel RealFlight controller (USB via an old RadioShack game-port-to-USB adapter) and my new wireless FrSky XSR-SIM USB dongle (but with my beginner flying I had never needed/wanted to toggle Flight Modes before). The FrSky dongle works great now with the Heli-Max FORM500, but I haven't bothered fiddling with the older RealFlight controller, so the info below only relates to my XSR-SIM setup.

1 - enabling the "Flight Modes" gadget was the first helpful step
2 - it was stuck on "Return to Home" flight mode, so not going anywhere

The info below only relates to an OpenTX transmitter:

After much reading and trial and error I was able to get my FrSky X9E transmitter along with the XSR-SIM dongle working with RF8.

My sticks are Mode 2. In the common OpenTX interface on my X9E, I first created a new model.

On the INPUTS page, I deleted all configured inputs, and left all inputs as unconfigured (all changes were made on the MIXER page below).

On the MIXER page, edited each final output channel number so it makes it easy for me to understand the inverted mapping both in OpenTX/X9E and in RF8:
- CH1, Mix name = RF CH8, Source = switch ? as desired
- CH2, Mix name = RF CH7, Source = switch ? as desired
- CH3, Mix name = RF CH6, Source = switch ? as desired
- CH4, Mix name = RF CH5, Source = switch ? as desired
- CH5, Mix name = RF CH4, Source = (stick) Rudder
- CH6, Mix name = RF CH3, Source = (stick) Throttle
- CH7, Mix name = RF CH2, Source = (stick) Elevator
- CH8, Mix name = RF CH1, Source = (stick) Aileron

A) within RF8 and choosing Simulation, Select Controller, Calibrate (for all physical controls configured above), Finish
B) then on the Select Controller window, Edit button for the active controller
C) under the "Function" column each Channel 1-4 would (finally) logically relate to each physical stick. Then minimally, I assigned "Dual Rates" (the important toggle for this topic), and "Reset" to my desired switches.

Thanks again for your help.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: