Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RF-X - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj5547 View Post
Scale retracts or springy scale retracts work good, and for some strange reason I can now alter the graph points on the brakes for more stopping power.
Will do a lot if taxiing and landings today to confirm solution.
It's good to hear you don't have to use springy retracts I'm going to try that out right now. SO.. Which is your preference, Springy Retracts or Retracts? I guess it boils down to do you want to bounce on landing or hear the thud.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
It's good to hear you don't have to use springy retracts I'm going to try that out right now. SO.. Which is your preference, Springy Retracts or Retracts? I guess it boils down to do you want to bounce on landing or hear the thud.
Problem with scale retracts, had plane stick twice when turning.
Springy scale retracts have worked good so far, will keep testing.
If you want to see something funny, load the T-28C with springy round steel, the undercarriage legs act really wobbly and then the plane breaks apart.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Problem with scale retracts, had plane stick twice when turning.
Springy scale retracts have worked good so far, will keep testing.
If you want to see something funny, load the T-28C with springy round steel, the undercarriage legs act really wobbly and then the plane breaks apart.
Yeah I tested the scale retracts and found the same thing, but springy retracts works fine in RF-8 and RF-X so I'm going with them. I also tested springy round and seen that too. Try setting the strength setting for springy retracts to min and max values, the min sinks into the surface and sometimes far enough to stop the prop. Setting it to max gives you a real nice dance. SO.. I'll set it to the default 100. Again thanks for your help on this. I think I'm done testing it in RF-X and will go with what I've found.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Yeah I tested the scale retracts and found the same thing, but springy retracts works fine in RF-8 and RF-X so I'm going with them. I also tested springy round and seen that too. Try setting the strength setting for springy retracts to min and max values, the min sinks into the surface and sometimes far enough to stop the prop. Setting it to max gives you a real nice dance. SO.. I'll set it to the default 100. Again thanks for your help on this. I think I'm done testing it in RF-X and will go with what I've found.
Springy Scale Retracts still working good, the aircraft has great ground handling.
I made a couple of adjustments to the landing gear default settings, set front gear to 300% stiffness, set main gear to 20% stiffness and changed rubber tires to pneumatic tires, (just my crazy settings) although the defaults work okay.
You must be very proud of the T-28 Trojan it is an incredible model.
Thank you for sharing it.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Springy Scale Retracts still working good, the aircraft has great ground handling.
I made a couple of adjustments to the landing gear default settings, set front gear to 300% stiffness, set main gear to 20% stiffness and changed rubber tires to pneumatic tires, (just my crazy settings) although the defaults work okay.
You must be very proud of the T-28 Trojan it is an incredible model.
Thank you for sharing it.
Thanks for the info and yeah I'm definitely happy with the way the T-28 is turning out. When I lowered the front gear stiffness the gear started sinking into the runway and at 0% it sunk enough into the runway the prop would strike it and the engine would die, but I didn't try 20% just 0% to see what it would do.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:59 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Bill Stuntz
That sounds weird! How can softer gear cause it to sink into the runway??? Is the gear leg (limp spaghetti?) collapsing, or is it the tire that sinks into the runway?

Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 02-15-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Stuntz View Post
That sounds weird! How can softer gear cause it to sink into the runway??? Is the gear leg (limp spaghetti?) collapsing, or is it the tire that sinks into the runway?
Springy gear makes the gear compress so I think the bottom part compressed enough to make the prop strike. But I didn't look super close.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Stuntz View Post
"stiffness " setting relates to spring compression, low setting will allow the landing gear spring to become very "soft" and lower the aircraft ground ride height, an increased stiffness setting will result in a very strong spring on the landing gear, acting more like a rigid construction.
You can get away with soft settings on the mains (trike gear) and firmer on front gear, too soft on front will allow the nose to dip on harsh landing or hard braking, causing the prop to touch the ground and kill the engine.

Last edited by asj5547; 02-21-2018 at 07:08 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: