Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 04-28-2019, 11:30 AM

KnifeEdge Horizon We need you to COMMUNICATE this truly is total BULL

Anybody want to get with me on this.

If enough of us get on this and on them they should give us an answer.
The current status is garbage and a stab in the face to anyone who bought the software with the expectations that were promoted to go along with the purchase and
all of the hardware upgrades that we did to run this software.

Yep,
They hyped this as the next great thing for Realflight.
People bought into it and were left hanging.
It's actually a great start it's a cool product and is unfinished.
Not telling anybody anything since Jan 2018 is a BIG FU to everyone who bought the software,
Spent even more on new hardware to run it and bought into the vision, trusted KE would not only update but add obviously missing features and fix the bugs and COMMUNICATE and continue to develop the product.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:29 PM

You are showing stalking traits Steve Gladden. Do you really think that they want talk to someone that is acting like you are.

Tower Hobby went bankrupt last year. Do you think that might have had some effect on KE? I happen to like Jim Bourke. Two internet incidents in 20 years of business is pretty good in my book. You just need to be patient. One year is a blink. You cannot force people to change a sound business model.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:58 PM

Today I found out that Horizon Hobbies bought RealFlite last April. There fore RealFlite 8 Horizon Hobbies version.
Can't say cause I don't know but wouldn't you think since HH bought RF that pretty much leaves Knife Edge either being bought out also, or no longer associated with RealFlite. That giving the reason no updates from Knife Edge. Horizon Hobbies assured that they have people working on RealFlite. But no word of any update.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:46 AM

Knife Edge is not a part of Tower nor Horizon Hobbies. They were distributors of the flight simulator. You can see with the distribution on Steam that is no longer the only distribution point. Still, I am sure that sales fell during the time of uncertainty.

As the new distributor, I am sure that Horizon wanted to see some Horizon content. Who knows what happened, but I am sure that a lot of effort was expended changing market entry points. That could very well be why the delays. I look for great future offerings.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:25 PM

Thus those at KE may have no idea when or if RF-X is going to get anything further as HH may not be communicating that fully with them either.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:15 PM

Horizon has seemed to have pulled support for Phoenix. I am an owner but not really familiar with the history of Phoenix.

I am not sure who provides direction for Real Flight. It is likely an agreement among parties. I think KE has ownership of software.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:45 AM

Unhappy No one is asking for a pound of flesh here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
You are showing stalking traits Steve Gladden. Do you really think that they want talk to someone that is acting like you are.

Tower Hobby went bankrupt last year. Do you think that might have had some effect on KE? I happen to like Jim Bourke. Two internet incidents in 20 years of business is pretty good in my book. You just need to be patient. One year is a blink. You cannot force people to change a sound business model.
12oclock, I don't know JB but generally speaking in business to not communicate with your customers for nearly 2 years is not the sign of a man of good standing. he may very well have a good reason but he needs to tell us something as we might just understand.

I know about Tower Hobbies but that does not entitle KE to keep us in the dark about the future. We bought into the hype for RFX and we supported KE so we deserve some explanation.

My gripe is we bought into JB's half finished dream that he promised to be the next best thing in RC flight sim at a fair price.

What we have is a half finished product with zero updates getting close to two years now.

If you know JB how about asking him to give the fans if RFX an update of what he thinks is the pathway forward.

We just want information and I don't think that is in anyway unreasonable or rude but what is rude to ignore us for nearly two years.

No one is asking for a pound of flesh here.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post

Sure I'm showing stalking traits, and you're showing fanboi traits.

No I'm showing persistence traits and will work to get answers not not just give
up like seemingly a lot of people have done.

*Do you really think that they want talk to someone that is acting like you are*
No I don't think they want to talk to me or anyone else if you observe the past two years regardless of how they may be acting.

I will continue to press for answers.
At this point I see that none of the parties involved are being very professional about it.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:28 AM

I don't know this JB you guys are talking about. But I can say I agree with you guys the software could use a lot improvement. I bought RealFlite 8 HH about a month ago expecting what I though would be good thing to get back into R/C. At first I didn't know much about the program so I asked here for information and you guys are the best on helping. But all I can see at this point RealFlite is starting point for beginners maybe into advance flying the real R/C models. More than half of the model down loads that I have got needs a lot of trim to fly anywhere close to a real R/C model. I know some of you can use autocad and correct a lot but that wasn't the idea of buying the program (to buy and learn autocad). My idea was to get the dumb thumbs back into flying shape and fly models like I would as if I were at the field flying. In the past I never had to spend a hour or more to trim a airplane (maybe a couple of flites), here on RealFlite 8 I have spent a good hour or three to just get some of the aircraft to fly without going stright up, the CG on just about all the airplanes are wrong except maybe the ones that have been tweaked by you guys. I have to say that at $179 + shipping I expected more than a beginners toy.
Whoever is in control of programming RealFlite please come back and finish what you have started so we all can enjoy what we paid for. At least give us some up dates to work with.
Thanks for reading my 2 cents worth on this whole idea!
Oldman62
Old 05-08-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman62 View Post
I don't know this JB you guys are talking about. But I can say I agree with you guys the software could use a lot improvement. I bought RealFlite 8 HH about a month ago expecting what I though would be good thing to get back into R/C. At first I didn't know much about the program so I asked here for information and you guys are the best on helping. But all I can see at this point RealFlite is starting point for beginners maybe into advance flying the real R/C models. More than half of the model down loads that I have got needs a lot of trim to fly anywhere close to a real R/C model. I know some of you can use autocad and correct a lot but that wasn't the idea of buying the program (to buy and learn autocad). My idea was to get the dumb thumbs back into flying shape and fly models like I would as if I were at the field flying. In the past I never had to spend a hour or more to trim a airplane (maybe a couple of flites), here on RealFlite 8 I have spent a good hour or three to just get some of the aircraft to fly without going stright up, the CG on just about all the airplanes are wrong except maybe the ones that have been tweaked by you guys. I have to say that at $179 + shipping I expected more than a beginners toy.
Whoever is in control of programming RealFlite please come back and finish what you have started so we all can enjoy what we paid for. At least give us some up dates to work with.
Thanks for reading my 2 cents worth on this whole idea!
Oldman62

If you're using stock aircraft, they should not require very much trim or modification to fly like the real world aircraft. If you are downloading aircraft from the Swap Pages, those models may or may not require trim or editing to fly right. Most of the models there are created by people who do not have any idea on how to setup that physics or are purposely oversized or over powered. They are not aircraft that Knife Edge has any hand in creating and simply host the file for easy downloading. They are all user created models.

The ability to create your own models is a big feature of realflight it's something you won't find anywhere else in the hobby with the shear amount of content. If you don't want to learn to edit your aircraft then stick with the stock aircraft in the simulator. They are pretty much set up close to perfect as you can get. However I would urge you to take time to learn how to use the editor as it's a very powerful tool and gives you the ability to tune a aircraft to fly exactly the way the real world aircraft flies. It can even be fine tuned to fly exactly like your setup with weights, power settings servo specs and throws.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:20 AM

If your stock aircraft are way out of trim you probably need to calibrate your controller. I can’t remember ever needing to use any trim on any stock RF8 aircraft.
Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my previous Alienware AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd. Asus ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus vg248qe 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:14 PM

Thanks guys for your reply's to my comment. I have trimmed several aircraft from the swap pages and yes I have calibrated the controller. I have also trimmed several of the stock aircraft maybe not needing that much trimming to suite my flying. I know it's been years since flying real R/C airplanes but the thought of how to trim a aircraft to fly stright and level is still their somewhere in my pea size brain. Maybe it's the old Acer computer I'm using, but it's probably just the user (me) not knowing what he's doing after all I only have 30+ years flying R/C Model Airplanes and about 20 years using computers though I never had any use for Cad in the past. Yes! I say it's me not knowing enough to comment.
Sorry Guys just over look my comments as I am old and shouldn't be posting anything or thinking about Model Airplanes.
Just a hick from the sticks that spent many $$$ and time on R/C models and living in the past.
I'll make most if not all happy now, I won't comment on no more post or even post anything of my own.
oldman62
Old 05-08-2019, 01:43 PM

Heh Oldman, post anything ya want. I'm sure you will have lots to add once you've got a bit more experience with RealFlight 8. Also it's probably a good idea to ask questions rather than just complain imho.

Since you have RealFlight 8 maybe you want to post questions and constructive comments about it in the RealFlight 8 section rather than in this RF-X section. Most of us posting about RF-X are kinda cranky, probably with good reason, lol!
Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my previous Alienware AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd. Asus ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus vg248qe 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman62 View Post
Thanks guys for your reply's to my comment. I have trimmed several aircraft from the swap pages and yes I have calibrated the controller. I have also trimmed several of the stock aircraft maybe not needing that much trimming to suite my flying. I know it's been years since flying real R/C airplanes but the thought of how to trim a aircraft to fly stright and level is still their somewhere in my pea size brain. Maybe it's the old Acer computer I'm using, but it's probably just the user (me) not knowing what he's doing after all I only have 30+ years flying R/C Model Airplanes and about 20 years using computers though I never had any use for Cad in the past. Yes! I say it's me not knowing enough to comment.
Sorry Guys just over look my comments as I am old and shouldn't be posting anything or thinking about Model Airplanes.
Just a hick from the sticks that spent many $$$ and time on R/C models and living in the past.
I'll make most if not all happy now, I won't comment on no more post or even post anything of my own.
oldman62
oldman62

Hey guy welcome to the forum. I read the last couple of comments from csgill75 and TomC and it seemed to me they were trying to be helpful not putting you down, you might want to re-read their comments and see if you can see them differently. I'd sure like to see you stay around we're a pretty decent set of guys just trying to help when we can and sometimes I think the true meaning gets lost in translation so to speak.

I'm one of the modelers here I've created I guess 100+ models now and I'm probably one of the guys included in csgill75's post where he mentions sometimes people create 'user modeled' planes just for how they want them to fly in the simulator not necessarily real life physics ( and I was guilty of that quite a bit in the beginning ). Now days I only model giant scale aircraft because I like how they fly, not so quick reacting like the smaller models almost everyone flies. But I'm the guy staying up till 4am modeling them so I create the models I like to fly. And another thing about my models most of them are my own design because I'm a retired design engineer so now I design toy planes for my computer.

So all that just to say the models on the 'Swap Pages' are user created planes and lots of them need some physics tweaks to make them fly like the real plane, often because the guy that modeled them had never flown them. Anyway I just thought I'd give you a bit of background info on what to expect from planes you get from the swap pages. As far as I know 'none' of the planes on the swap pages were created by the folks from KnifeEdge. It's a place where users like me share their work with others after creating them with 3ds Max software, although a few users use Blender too. But none the less creating models isn't for everyone but you do get to try out what others have created. Sometimes just for 'laughs' and then delete them. But they're free. And if you like them it's fairly easy to learn how to give them a new paint job that you like. That is create your own color scheme.

If you're interested try these two betas I created recently (not released yet)

Junker Beta (will be renamed to 'Somethin Special' at release) Both are basically a Sig Somethin' Extra scaled up to double size (103" wingspan) It's not a copy of the Sig plane but I used it for my inspiration so it's very similar. Oh the plane works fine for RF 7.5, RF 8, and RF-X.

Quote:
Junker beta (will be Somethin Special at release)

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...&postcount=169
Quote:
And a float version of it if you like to fly off the water.

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...&postcount=268
Old 05-08-2019, 03:31 PM

Hey I know that my post sounded discouraging. Also I guess I went overboard calling RealFlite and R/C Model Airplanes toys. Sorry for the comment! I have enjoyed models in the past and hopefully for many years to come.
You guys that know Cad. And designing have some real talent as I tried to sketch up a model on Cad. And it's way over my head at this point in time. Not saying I couldn't learn, maybe too lazy to put the effort into learning. Lol
But anyways I want to thank All you guys that take your time designing's models here at Knife Edge for the swap pages.
Before I end,
Would also like to say who ever is the owner, designer of Knife Edge you are appreciated for bringing us a program to use and in my case learn. The rest of you guys that spend hours on hours designing models for the swap page and take time to help guys like myself learn something new, you guys are highly appreciated.

Oldman62

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: