Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:59 PM

Post Modelling brainfart - Canopy tips

So I'm working on a Yak-18 PM for IL-2 1946. I've gotten a few things done, but I'm stuck with the canopy... Now I myself have many ways I do canopies, all different depending on the model shape and design, however, for some reason I'm persistent on trying to use ProBoolean or Boolean for this which I'm certain is the worst way to go for a canopy as seen blow:

I got a side, front and part of the fuse I clipped out but have no idea what the hell to do with it.

I've more or less got the details and everything else sorted out, just have to do some wheel wells and what not and additional stuff like a cockpit and etc, but this canopy has driven me nuts. It's STUPIDLY simple but either that or this is a temporary brainfart like I experienced with the Bobcat.

Any tips or ideas as to how YOU would go about to this? (PS I've taken a look at Scott's tutorial videos but wasn't able to follow along that for this...

I might figure this out by tomorrow but nonetheless want to see what everyone says. I remember having some great input and having had raised eyebrows due to my use of 'unorthodox' methods on the Bobcat, haha~

Cheers
Old 04-29-2019, 04:14 PM

I have too admit that I don't know much about modeling in max out side of the stuff wings3d cannot do.

When I make canopies I usually model the canopy as part of the fuselage with a physical connection then cut it off later.

But from going with what you have and you were using wings I would take the top cross section and extrude it vertically and scale the faces made match the other cross sections
Old 04-29-2019, 07:14 PM

I use the vertex CUT TOOL to cut the shape of the Canopy around a Top View of the Fuselage. Then I create segments across it and use a Side View to pull the segments up to shape the Canopy. Then I go back and adjust the segments to create the curvature of the Canopy. You can do that and then select all the Canopy polys and Detach it or Detach it first and make the segments and pull out the shape. I leave it attached to the fuselage until I'm finished to make sure I don't accidently move the outside edge while I'm forming the canopy shape, that makes sure it fits perfectly.

I also often do what legoman said and form the canopy while I'm creating the fuselage.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:17 PM

Cheers guys, glad to see you both still working on your works of art and around here, really love the attention to detail you guys keep to your models and just wish you were still here when the community was really active and on fire with Boof, Abaser and all the other cool peeps.

I'm shattered right now and sleep deprived but will let you know what outcome and technique I use, probably what you both have mentioned as it seems to be the most logical, but I guess that's what I get for being away from 3D modelling for so long, yikes!

Cheers : )
Old 05-09-2019, 10:34 AM

Hey, i see this thread and my CAD experience is itching to say sweep or loft, but in mesh modeling the names are different and so are the techniques. Basically you make a profile of vertices and duplicate them periodically along a path.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: