Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 7 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 03-07-2018, 04:45 PM

Dayam. ... that's what that cowl was missing
Old 03-07-2018, 08:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
looks good with the 9 cylinder in it
Old 03-07-2018, 11:09 PM

Got a question for you guys, when I upload a beta please let me know if the engine looks too large and/or the spinner looks too large. Not in the picture I posted but after I posted the picture I reduced the Spinner 5% but it still looks pretty large to me. The nine cylinder engine really fills up the cowl and I wondered if the 7 cylinder might look better. But it's a lot of work to change the engine because of all the mapping needed so let me know if the nine cylinder is best or the seven cylinder. I'll change the engine if needed but I'm not trying to get you to say something you don't think. So let me know what you think after I upload the beta and you play with it.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:35 PM

I'll be sure to give you feedback .. beta away.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Got a question for you guys, when I upload a beta please let me know if the engine looks too large and/or the spinner looks too large. Not in the picture I posted but after I posted the picture I reduced the Spinner 5% but it still looks pretty large to me. The nine cylinder engine really fills up the cowl and I wondered if the 7 cylinder might look better. But it's a lot of work to change the engine because of all the mapping needed so let me know if the nine cylinder is best or the seven cylinder. I'll change the engine if needed but I'm not trying to get you to say something you don't think. So let me know what you think after I upload the beta and you play with it.

Never too much engine under the hood ... LOL

Your telling me you didn't shoe-horn that 18 cylinder under the cowl ...

All I want is that my RWB Hobbico Big Red CS still works ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BRMKII.jpg (140.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg BRMKII-2.jpg (92.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by DDawg; 03-07-2018 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:08 AM

I just finished messing with it some more and here's what I did. I reduced the engine size by 4% and reduced the spinner another 5% (for 10% total) and it seems to look pretty good to me now. I think I have it ready to upload but I want to test it a bit more. I had to go back and put some stripes on the wheel pants too since the Desert Aircraft sticker didn't look right after I put the radial in it. So it won't be much longer and I'll upload a beta. Gotta go spend some time with the wife and watch a movie right now.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:37 AM

A 9 cylinder radial radial http://www.air-en.com/project/9-cyli...stroke-petrol/
Old 03-08-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Yes I've seen that, very nice.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:42 AM

Okay guys here's a Big Red Mk II beta with the 9 cylinder radial. I think I solved my concern about the engine and spinner looking to large but let me know what you think. What I did, like I said in another post, is reduce the engine by 4 percent and reduce the Spinner by a total of 10%. I reduced it 5% once and then went back and reduced it another 5%. So both of them seem to look okay now but let me know what you think I want your opinion too. I can always resize them a bit if needed.

I left the engine sound the same as the first Big Red that sound just seems to go with this plane to me. I tried the sound profile I used in the T-28 and for some reason it didn't seem right for Big Red. That sound profile was perfect for the T-28 but for some reason I like the sound from the first Big Red for Big Red Mk II. Anyway change it to the sound you like the best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Red Mk II 02.jpg (231.2 KB, 10 views)
Attached Files
File Type: rfx Big Red Mk II_EA.RFX (2.48 MB, 9 views)
Old 03-08-2018, 12:08 PM

snagged it, and going for a morning flight in a few ...
Old 03-08-2018, 01:05 PM

Thanks Technoid, I just downloaded the latest Big Red with Radial, now off to fun in the big blue sky.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:02 PM

Grabbed it too. Now my virtual fuel bill will go up .. geez ..
Old 03-08-2018, 02:04 PM

i grabbed it as well
Old 03-08-2018, 02:08 PM

here is a good example of a radial engine size in cowl. this one is slightly bigger than the one in Big Red going by my eyes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radial size in cowl.jpg (156.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-08-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug schluter View Post
here is a good example of a radial engine size in cowl. this one is slightly bigger than the one in Big Red going by my eyes
Ha... That's pretty much what mine looked like before I resized it. I guess I need to make it larger again. In fact that's even larger than mine the first time.

Actually there was some work I wanted to do on the 9 Cylinder Radial but I haven't done it yet. I was going to reduce the fins on the bottom of the cylinder because they came from the 5 and 7 cylinder I did and are too large for the 9 Cylinder. Then I was going to move the Valve Covers out some so the push rod tubes would have more of an angle to them, more like the picture you posted. BUT.. there's only so many hours in the day and I've been working on the Yak and just did a quick transplant of the 9 Cylinder Radial from the Radial Racer I released, but didn't do the touch ups on it I talked about. But I suppose I'll do that before I release the plane, it will make it look better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Red Mk II 01.jpg (111.3 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by technoid; 03-08-2018 at 02:24 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: