Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_electric View Post
Thinking more about the need for strength in the wing center joints, realized a second carbon fiber rod is needed-- closer to the leading edge. Will have to make the needed adjustments to the Draft Sight files, while the additional CF rods are being delivered.

Also made a first pass at what it takes to make the "skins" to add a wee bit of "bling" to the FBB. Some adjustments are yet needed, but I now understand the basics of how to make them.

Enjoy a great week.
Very nice.. it's coming along nicely !
Old 06-01-2018, 12:58 AM

Some more design work (and more card board cut for mockups) on the power section during the holiday.

Had purchased some grooved maple stock for the LG, but changed its installation.
Was originally thinking using it like it is done in the wing of a low wing, but then realized the better way for this design is to place the grooves vertically on either inner side of the fuselage. The LG can then be one piece and slide into the grooves (similar to the Extra's LG). Probably obvious to some, but am still learning...

Some test fits of the battery and ESC in the power section showed the fuselage should be bit wider-- has now increased from 3" at the start to 4". Side benefit with that is some extra area where cooling holes can be added, without compromising the motor mount strength.

That in turn changed the width of the top plywood plates the cabane struts will attach to..

During the visit to the LHS the other evening for other supplies, I saw some DuBro 3" dia micro sport wheels. With spokes, they look a bit nicer than the wheels originally planned. 3" has to be better on grass then the small 2" wheels on the Extra, but if need be 4" wheels can be put on instead.

So, some progress-- might get the power section pieces cut soon.
Carbon fiber rods also came in, and the CAD files have already been adjusted for the second CF rod, so with some free time, should get the new wings cut as well.

RF version has been updated for all the latest changes. Nothing is really mapped yet, so of course the new wheels look odd in the renders.

Enjoy a great weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FBB render12.jpg (300.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg FBB render13.jpg (369.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-01-2018, 01:06 AM

Cool deal it's looking better all the time !
Old 06-06-2018, 08:25 AM

Well, embarrassingly, the RF version is moving along faster than the RW version...
Added more to the CS (still trying different ideas like the wing bottom pattern), and still practicing hovers
Actually, the RF testing continues to help in refining the RW design. For example, it looks like the control surfaces may need to increase a bit and/or the control throws increase.

Enjoy a great rest of the week and weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1528252066.jpg (480.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1528251523.jpg (403.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg FBB render14.jpg (358.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg FBB render15.jpg (445.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg FBB render16.jpg (368.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-06-2018, 11:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
looking forward to trying out your Foam board biplane FE . i know you use RF for all your testing before you fly your RL one so maybe its a good thing you finish it here for us too
Old 06-06-2018, 01:29 PM

Yes it's looking better all the time. I'm looking forward to playing with this one.

BTW: What happened to your Long John?
Old 06-09-2018, 10:12 AM

Thanks guys. Enjoy a great weekend.

BJF: Thanks for the reminder. I ended up wanting more details like a true built up structure and modeled Yogi. Then started to hit the old triangle limit. With more triangles available now and having learned a few more things, it might be due for a revisit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BJF bones.jpg (310.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-09-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_electric View Post
Thanks guys. Enjoy a great weekend.

BJF: Thanks for the reminder. I ended up wanting more details like a true built up structure and modeled Yogi. Then started to hit the old triangle limit. With more triangles available now and having learned a few more things, it might be due for a revisit.
You might have just given me my interest in modeling back with that picture. I've always loved old school RC planes and that's all I did in the beginning, design and model my own planes. But recently I moved away from that and did some real planes (to some degree of scale). But maybe my next project should be back to the basics I loved in the beginning. So maybe one of my own designs with a balsa built-up look would be cool. That just might be what I need for my next project. Thanks for posting that picture, and yeah Big John was it.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:06 PM

More progress on the real world and RF FBBs.

Super 77'd the top "skin" to the wings and the wings have been covered in packing tape.
3d printed the cabanes with some square drill guide holes and then drilled those out to the mounting diameter.

Used a piece of scrap foam board to set the spacing between the plywood top wing plates, and bolted on the cabane struts for a test fit to the power box. Then sweated it a bit for a drum roll moment (one several on this project I''m sure): were the holes on the plywood and cabanes placed correctly? Looked correct in Draft Sight....
Sweat stopped as the cabane struts are right where they should be for the width of the assembled power box.. Whew!

Could have positioned the mounting holes on the power box in Draft Sight too, but considering the time to cut and epoxy the power box pieces, that seemed a bit risky as all this CAD stuff is quite new. Have a few ideas how to do it, but one of the next "sweat moments" will be getting those mounting holes correctly drilled--- no expert, but I am pretty sure it's important the wings are square to the fuselage and each other...

As changes are made to the RW FBB, the RF version gets updated. Latest updates are new weight info on the wings as well as cabane struts, and a Max change to reflect were the cabane struts are positioned. For the latter had to make a correction to the top wing mounting plates as two of those struts would have been bolted too close to one of the CF rods...

Enjoy a great and safe rest of the weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0770s.jpg (186.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0771s.jpg (205.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0772s.jpg (206.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0773s.jpg (215.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0774s.jpg (208.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-23-2018, 11:11 PM

And some renders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FBB render17.jpg (427.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg FBB render18.jpg (309.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg FBB render19.jpg (494.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 3d print cabane strut.jpg (127.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-24-2018, 02:46 AM

Cool shots. Ha... I want to fly it!
Old 06-25-2018, 06:12 PM

So do I--both!
Old 06-25-2018, 08:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
excellent work FE thanks for the update
Old 07-04-2018, 08:36 PM

Thanks Doug.

Happy Independence Day!

Snails' pace on the FBB the past few weeks (hmm, want to fly this plane and now it's already July..)

Over the weeks, HAVE sneaked in adding some of the triangle stock to strengthen the firewall, lower wing mount and battery plate.
But with today a holiday, took full advantage to put some serious time into the project.
Visually not much, but got the wing plywood mounted and the initial LG maple pieces cut.

Started by slightly enlarging the lasered alignment holes for the lower wing to just hold some toothpicks (easy to add as they are self centering).
The initial goal was to be sure the lower wing would align with the fuselage.
Test fit looked pretty even, which was encouraging.
The wings are even, but I think one of the pics was taken slightly off vertical as well as the yardstick is slightly off the 30" mark at
the fuselage corner. So, went on to prepping the lower wing: removing the center paper and tape to epoxy the plywood
directly to the foam and enlarged the alignment holes for the 4-40 bolts. Glued it up, mounted it to the fuselage, double
checked the wing was still square, and added some weights on the glued area. The bottom wing is not yet ready for permanent attachment, so added a layer of wax paper between the mounting plate and the top of the wing, as well as kept the epoxy away a bit from the alignment holes.

Repeated the prep process for the top wing while waiting, and after several hours (30 minute epoxy), the epoxy in the mixing plate showed the glue was firmly set.
So took the wing off the fuselage, glued up the top wing with its supports and with more wax paper between them, assembled and bolted the two wings together.
Since the wing and center supports alignment holes are identical, I just had to be sure things were even out at the wing tips to keep things straight.
If I am wrong about that I'll find out later!

With the fuselage not being used, cut the maple LG pieces. Had found some leftover acrylic stock was about the right width,
so with some trial and error, cut a piece to hold all three pieces of maple in alignment for when they get epoxied in.

So as said, not visually much to show for today's efforts, but a lot of little areas were required, giving important progress none the less.

With some new weight info, updated the RF version physics.
Will have to investigate further, but right now the RF AUW is noticably higher than the RW version, with the majority of
heavy items weighed. Sure, I could have missed something in physics-- not the first time (or last)...

Trust you have all enjoyed a great holiday with your families.

Odd: while working on the FBB today and now, it feels like it's the weekend...
Back to work tomorrow though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0784s.jpg (407.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0785s.jpg (402.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0786s.jpg (426.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0787s.jpg (481.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-04-2018, 11:40 PM

Cool Shots.. it's staring to come together.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: