Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:01 PM

RFX Development a dead duck?

It has been a while since any of the developers' have told us the plans for RFX.

I bought into this a couple of years back and have waited patiently for all the fruit we had with RF 7.5 and still no where near it functionality and instead we got the marginal upgrade being RF8.

I bought RF8 (twice actually disk and steam) and it is ok but ... IMHO I find it is really dated and flat and just does not have the dynamic feel and look of RFX, but it has the fruit that RFX doesn't like multiplayer ect.

Please can we get RFX properly done and maybe some multicore support so it can use all the new multicore CPU's?

I am starting to worry it is a dead duck in the water with the developers so please how about some news?

Please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images1.jpg (3.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-08-2018, 12:39 AM

Just my wild guess but I kinda think that both RFX and Acro FS are either dead ducks, and/or both ducks are going on a very long migration flight plan, lol!

You may find RF8 flat (and very good of you to support them by buying 2x versions, btw) but imho it is still by far the best RC simulator out there. I think that the physics for both planes and heli's is just about perfect (multirotors do need a bit more work though imho), and of course these can be further tunned to your liking. Much better than RFX physics, and its very limited tunability imho.

Currently RF8 VR works well, albeit it still needs some VR rendering work. Flat water and banded night sky with my Ocilus Rift, for example. The sky rendering needs some simple dithering corrections (or so I have been told by Microsoft and Nvidia).

The beauty of the RF G3-8 is that users still have the ability to run these on fairly low-end PC's (non-VR of course). In fact, I still can run RF 5.5 on a +10 yo laptop with integrated graphics.

Personally, what I would like to see KE do is to scrap RFX and Acro FS, and concentrate on making RF8 as good as it can be. Maybe work on a Realflight 9 version that offers better VR options but still allows lower-end PC users the ability to use this very useful RC-training software.

Anyway, just my $0.02 worth.

Edit; PS I would also like to see them go back to the better quality Interlink Elite controller made by Futaba or maybe an improved Futaba version. Tanic QC looks very poor imho.

Last edited by TomC; 08-09-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:48 PM

I had plenty to say about what I thought was the failings of RF-X in the past but at the same time I knew RF-X is really the future of a better RC simulator. I think KE has taken the old code as far as they can so it's time to start improving RF-X and let RF-8 be the RC simulator for those that don't have a fast computer, they need a good simulator and RF-8 is it. But with faster processors and graphics cards coming out what held back RF-X will be solved. The next generation of graphics cards from NVIDIA will have the power to run RF-X at the frame rates a gamer type person wants to see, and that would be me. I worked at two different 3d graphics card companies (cirrus logic and 3dfx Interactive) so I'm a long time 3D Gamer and want 90 to 120 fps all the time to make sure the low end of the frame rates doesn't give me choppy game play, or flight as it were. I know there's lots of people that want multiplayer but I'm not one of them I'll give it up without any problem at all. But I do want the other features RF-8 has, the built-in editor with all the features we know and love. So please KE keep RF-X going even if you have to rename it when you release it with a built-in editor and have swap pages for it. I think with a faster processor and graphics card RF-X can become what it should have been the first time. But it needs a built-in editor and swap pages created for it, and a bit of help to get the content creators up to speed on what is needed to get the best visuals for their planes.

The one thing I'd like to see is a little help from KE to help me get my planes to have a decent gloss in RF-X, they look great in RF-8 but are very dull in RF-X. Just a little help to get me over that problem the rest I'm already fine with. I release planes compatible with RF-X all the time they just don't look the way they should and if I could solve that problem I'd be fine. So a little help PLEASE!

The RF-X 1.5 beta made things much better and I think they should definitely move forward with RF-X.

Last edited by technoid; 08-08-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to jjuneau Send a message via AIM to jjuneau Send a message via Yahoo to jjuneau
I thought they were bringing multiplayer to RF-X?? I think they effectively killed the simulator market by not releasing an update in almost a year now.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
The one thing I'd like to see is a little help from KE to help me get my planes to have a decent gloss in RF-X, they look great in RF-8 but are very dull in RF-X. Just a little help to get me over that problem the rest I'm already fine with. I release planes compatible with RF-X all the time they just don't look the way they should and if I could solve that problem I'd be fine. So a little help PLEASE!

The RF-X 1.5 beta made things much better and I think they should definitely move forward with RF-X.
RF-X is an awesome simulator, incredible graphics and flight physics. Yes, I would like to see a gloss on imported models (RF-X stock models have gloss), but strangely the imported models only have gloss when airborne, (lots of reflection in flight and the sun light hits the model)

RF-X 1.5 was a major improvement, now I am looking forward to RF-X 2.0, which I will gladly purchase.
RF-X swap pages would be great.

Last edited by asj5547; 08-09-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:34 PM

I too would purchase Real Flight X-2.0 also!

Jason
Old 09-06-2018, 11:51 PM

Come on someone from Knife-edge tell us what the development plan is please?
Old 09-07-2018, 12:29 AM

Just my opinion but for RF-X fans, no news is probably bad news.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:45 AM

That's what I thought last time and they did 1.5 so I LIVE IN HOPE.... so am I in DENIAL Tom C ?

Last edited by Bellah1z; 09-08-2018 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:14 AM

Na, always good to have Hope mate! You never know?
Old 09-07-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellah1z View Post
Come on someone from Knife-edge tell us what the development plan is please?
The start of October is when new rf's are announced. One month we will find out.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
The start of October is when new rf's are announced. One month we will find out.

Based on historic RF releases or do you have insider info? So maybe; RF-X 2.0, RF8.5, and Acro FS 2.0. Could be a big month, lol!
Old 09-07-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Based on historic RF releases or do you have insider info? So maybe; RF-X 2.0, RF8.5, and Acro FS 2.0. Could be a big month, lol!
RF-x, RF drone, rf-7.5 beta and rf-8 were all announced in the first week of October. acro fs was not announced in October. it will probably be RF-X 2.0, RF8.5, OR Acro FS 2.0 although I do think it is a little soon for arco fs 2.0

here is my source http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/foru...f=8&order=desc
Old 09-07-2018, 05:34 PM

Going back 10 years, the latest version of RealFlight was released around October....
Old 09-07-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
Going back 10 years, the latest version of RealFlight was released around October....
Oh Boy... RF-X 2.0 in October, can't wait.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: