Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 6 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 04-03-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
I believe you you scroll down in the second link there are some foils there.

I don't know the airfoil number though.
Ahh, I see you must have edited that above post and added that link. That is a good link, it helps give me a good visual of the internals, so I can incorporated the necessary areas into the model.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:01 AM

need my model?

PPlace

Would you like the One I started? I have modeled the body and wings. I have a half rack of ribs in each wings, and some sticks in the fuselage. ( just in the area where the stock model is transparent ). It needs the H and V stab modeled so you can see the play wood layers.

I still might finished mine just for a few that still use 3.5.

Junkboy999
Old 04-04-2012, 09:34 AM

Dane,
To save you some time, that's a 10.9% or 11% airfoil with about a 6% camber and a flat bottom. So given the airfoil database in RF, I'd start with an N-11 airfoil.
Doug
Old 04-04-2012, 01:41 PM

JB999: I appreciate the offer and will certainly keep that option open. For now, since I haven't done any modeling for a long time (my sportwin was the last modeling I've done) I'd like to start from scratch so I can "re-fresh" my skills....or lack of.

Doug: Thanks for the information, I'll put that to good use when the time arrives.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:49 PM

Just an FYI.

I did get the Rascal out of storage and started on some modeling tonight. Started with some basics and have the main landing gear, wheel pants & wheels / tires finished.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:28 AM

Another small update (no pictures yet sorry.....I know boring and worthless without pictures)

Last night I was able to get all the tail gear / wheel assembly as well as the outer h-stab skin completed.

Tonight I hope to start on the v-stab outer as well as the inner structure for both the h-stab and v-stab. At that point, it might be interesting enough to share a picture update.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:34 PM

How dare you post without pics? Chum-
Old 04-06-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boof69 View Post
How dare you post without pics? Chum-
Sorry, I'll now try and redeem myself with some actual photo progress! Not sure if I'll get to some of the inner structure of the tail surfaces tonight, as we have some company coming over later.

I'm doing this project / build totally different than anything I've done before. I'm able to build it object by object, and take measurements & photos from a model in my possession (even for my Laser 200, I used online 3-views) I'm building and placing the parts in the appropriate locations, and am curious to see how they all line up / correspond to each other when more parts are added.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rascal 1.jpg (32.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Rascal 2.jpg (39.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Rascal 3.jpg (28.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-06-2012, 08:52 PM

Wow that's different. Very nice so far.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:43 AM

Yeah, looks spot on!
Old 04-07-2012, 12:52 AM

Thanks guys.

Change of plan after the company left.....instead of inner structure work on the tail, I thought it would be best to rough out the fuse to make sure all those bits floating in space had place to attach to correctly.

Shockingly everything there: spinner, main gear, tail gear and tail surfaces all fit into the fuse dimensions and profile picture I took of mine, with very minor tweaking! Looks like everything is fitting up nice and accurate so far.

Tomorrow I have to finish a could odds and ends for a little re-modeling project I did in my kitchen. Should get back on this project tomorrow night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rascal 4.jpg (28.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Rascal 5.jpg (46.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-07-2012, 06:41 PM

Just a super quick update, plan to do some actual real modeling later tonight.

I dd the "cut out" / transparent panels in the side of the fuse. (note these will actually be done later on the alpha layer) However for now I did it:

1. It looks cool

2. It will help me determine where and how much of the inner structure is visible and needed.

Tonight I plan to take some photos of the wings and get them rough modeled. At that time the basic overall aircraft is complete, so I can go back and work on all the smaller details / inner structure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rascal 6.jpg (27.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-07-2012, 10:00 PM

Slight change of plans (for now) Camera batteries were dead, so wasn't able to get the photos of the wings (yet) So I decided to get a start at carving out the inner structure for the v-stab and rudder.

Both are done as they are on the real model. Rudder is solid balsa with holes carved. V-stab is layered (inner core with holes, outer "skin" with slightly larger holes and a simple raised divider between the two holes to keep the monokote flat.

My oldest boy asked if I'd lay down and watch a movie with him, so I'll take a break to do that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rascal 7.jpg (35.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Rascal 8.jpg (34.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 04-07-2012, 10:02 PM

Looks nice. Any chance of seeing some edge lines? what's your poly count so far?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
Looks nice. Any chance of seeing some edge lines? what's your poly count so far?
Thanks,

Here's a screen shot showing all the edges. I went overboard on the wheel pants, and plan to go back later and delete some unnecessary polys if needed....however on the other hand I enjoy looking at nice smooth shapes whenever possible.

As far as current poly count, it's been so long since I've used Wings3D that I don't remember how to obtain an accurate total. Overall I'm pretty sure I've used up a fair share so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rascal 9.jpg (54.9 KB, 17 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: