Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 6 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:37 AM

Best design software for RF6

Hi,

After requesting a few things and them not getting anywhere I've decided that I'm going to learn to make my own. It's not that I have anything against the designers of this forum, It's that I've always wanted to learn for myself.

So I would like to know what people use and recommend for a beginner. Money does not matter.

Thanks,

Noah
Old 12-05-2012, 11:45 AM

Get 3ds max. You can get the student edition from auto desk for free.

If money is no object, get Photoshop CS6 for doing the color schemes. If money is an object, then you can get Gimp for Free.

Third, even if you do get photoshop, get Gimp. Some of us use the normal plugin from Gimp despite have Photoshop.

The bigger cost is time. Making a model is a big undertaking. You can easily spend 100-200 hours on a model, and when you are learning, it will probably be on the high side. I have spent even more time than that on one of mine.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:56 AM

You can also use wings 3d. Its free as well. However, you must then use either max or blender to do pivots and hierarchy and to export the kex file needed to import into RF.

My suggestion, watch plenty of YouTube tutorials to decide which program you would feel most comfortable with. After deciding that, watch more tutorials and try to replicate their results. Finally, start your model after mastering the basics and start a build thread to ask questions and get suggestions and tips.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:49 PM

To weigh in here: If you have no prior experience with 3d modeling software the only answer is 3DS Max. It is what the kex exporter is designed for, it is what KnifeEdge uses in house, and you will not have any of the cross platform headaches that will happen once you bring it into max from another piece of software. 3DS Max is no more difficult to learn than any other software if you are starting new to modeling. Especially since it does everything you need it to do for this particular application.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:51 PM

Money does not matter. That's funny! You can be the first person ever to buy 3DS Max ($3,500) just to make free models for Real Flight. I don't think you're telling your whole story.

Boof may be correct that you may as well learn to model using 3DS Max if you have no prior modeling experience, but there are no "cross platform headaches" if you know what you're doing.

Last edited by jeffpn; 12-05-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:52 PM

I agree. Just laying all of the options out on the table.

Keep in mind, if you go with max, get the 2012 version as there is no export support for 2013 as of yet.

Last edited by abaser; 12-05-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
Boof may be correct that you may as well learn to model using 3DS Max if you have no prior modeling experience, but there are no "cross platform headaches" if you know what you're doing. And someday you might be glad you know how to model in Wings 3D.
I'm going to have to disagree with the lack of headaches if you know what you are doing. While the problems can be worked around, they exist. I'll grant that things like renaming a bunch of objects is not life threatening; however, an unnecessary headache it is. Likewise, there are no worries about how to import into 3ds max and whether things are going to get messed up because you are already there.

And the bottom line is unless you use Blender and it's script for creating KEX (which I don't recommend for a number of reasons - been there done that) you are going to have to end up in 3ds max anyway and learn at least part of the program.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Money does not matter. That's funny! You can be the first person ever to buy 3DS Max ($3,500) just to make free models for Real Flight. I don't think you're telling your whole story.

Boof may be correct that you may as well learn to model using 3DS Max if you have no prior modeling experience, but there are no "cross platform headaches" if you know what you're doing. And someday you might be glad you know how to model in Wings 3D.
I have helped a few people with "Headaches" from going between the two including yourself. You have had broken verts and shading errors from the OBJ or 3ds exchanges.

Learning Wings3D means you need to know it and some things in Max too. It just seems like bad advise to recommend two programs instead of one. Bottom line is Max can do it all including the export. I can't think of a good reason to know Wings too. Wings is a great program don't get me wrong but for RF models It can only model and map. Now that we all know 3DS Max can be had for free I can't in good conscience recommend anything else.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madratter
I'm going to have to disagree with the lack of headaches if you know what you are doing.
Are you saying I'm having headaches? I was not aware of that.

You guys both should read what I posted earlier. I said that if you don't know how to model using any software, you might be better off learning Max. But if you happen to know Wings inside and out, there really is no reason to learn Max, too. If you want to do so to keep the model in one software package, go for it. But I'm proof that it's not necessary.

This is all moot, anyway. I've seen more than one "Money doesn't matter" modeling hopeful here. None of them ever panned out.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madratter View Post

And the bottom line is unless you use Blender and it's script for creating KEX (which I don't recommend for a number of reasons - been there done that).
I couldnt agree more. Not only are you limited to using one version for the export, you also can't use the newer versions since they aren't compatible with the older. If a new script were to be created, it could actually be a close runner up to max. It is a very powerful program, but as it is now, its power cant be used.

From a person that has used them all, I do prefer using max just because of the file exchange problems that Boof69 has mentioned. Unlike Jeff, my problems affected my work visually. Max can be more intimidating than wings because of the user interface.
That's why I mentioned wings to begin with. As I just stated, Blender has issues with the exporter being compatible with the newer versions, and the older ones are just, well, not very friendly to put it nice.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Are you saying I'm having headaches? I was not aware of that.

You guys both should read what I posted earlier. I said that if you don't know how to model using any software, you might be better off learning Max. But if you happen to know Wings inside and out, there really is no reason to learn Max, too. If you want to do so to keep the model in one software package, go for it. But I'm proof that it's not necessary.

This is all moot, anyway. I've seen more than one "Money doesn't matter" modeling hopeful here. None of them ever panned out.
Are you having headaches in a literal sense? Not that I'm aware of. Are you having to jump through unnecessary hoops? Yup.

I'll agree it may not be worth your while to learn 3ds max. The time to learn 3ds max may be higher than the time you lose with those "headaches". Although you do so many models, I'm not convinced that is the long term case. But certainly, you are productive in what you doing and the models look good. There is no need for you to switch.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:42 PM

Yup,
If you gotta ask when there are plenty of build threads, tutorials and stickies, then you're already starting off on the wrong foot.

I think it was more of a reverse psychology thing.

Quote:
I've seen more than one "Money doesn't matter" modeling hopeful here. None of them ever panned out.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:02 PM

THERE ARE NO HEADACHES BUILDING YOUR MODEL IN WINGS!! If there were headaches, problems, hoops, call it what you will, I would switch. It is a very simple process to migrate a model from Wings to Max. I do it for every model.

LIKE I SAID BEFORE, SOMEONE NEW TO MODELING MAY BE BETTER OFF STARTING IN MAX.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:06 PM

Let me put it this way: putting together a request with the required 3-views, reference pictures, and specifications is more of a "headache" than importing a Wings model into Max. As Flex used to say, "That's a fact, Jack!!"
Old 12-05-2012, 03:21 PM

Seams a bit delusional Jeff. I know you are somewhat agreeing with me but why teach someone workarounds for certain hurdles when you can just take the hurdles away. I have spent hours mending models for others who do feel there are headaches, but then again you knew that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: