Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 6 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsonman View Post
Did'nt you do a model from Rhino as well Doug?
Yes, it was a royal PITA but doable.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
Once again,
THERE ARE NO HURDLES BUILDING MODELS IN WINGS!!!
Oh, the hurdles are so absolutely daunting that I have about 150 EAs on the swaps that have been created with Wings and brought into Max. But miraculously this was managed without inducing errors.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 PM

Never implied you ever had a problem. Others definitely have had issues though. I know because I helped with their issues.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:37 PM

My opinion, good models can be made in either program. Wings has a few extra steps, but the results can be achieved as it has been proven time and time again. I personally have had issues going from wings to max, so I have changed over. Jeff and Doug have been using wings for some time with few/no issues, so why fix what isnt broken for them.

For the new, unlearned rookie modeler, Id recommend learning max. Fewer beginner mistakes during the import process is a good reason, but the main one for me, you gotta learn max to a degree anyway, so why not go all the way.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:52 PM

I'm not disagreeing with the general recommendation, just commenting that the software should not be blamed for operator error. There is no problem going between the two programs or even going back and forth between them multiple times. Those various errors you saw and helped with were in fact made by the modelers, even if they didn't know what they did to cause them.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:23 AM

Again I never once blamed the software. Just that those who are new to modeling may encounter issues when going between software as I have been witness to on several occasions. If they were to have these issues it would be an unneeded problem to have to help with. If KE had chose to go with Wings3D as it's in house software and made a kex exporter for it, provided wings had the full capability to do all of the required steps, then I would be advocating Wings3D and the Max guys would think I'm bashing that software. Wings is awesome for modeling. I've watched Jeff do some stuff first hand and it seemed easy for him too. I can see why you guys like it. It's just more simple to learn the free program that is all inclusive.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:34 AM

Let's eliminate all of their hurdles, and just build their models for them!

Seriously, building a model in Wings and importing it into Max isn't a hurdle.

That said, I strongly recommend newbies avoid Wings. That would leave me more time for my own modeling.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madratter View Post
Get 3ds max. You can get the student edition from auto desk for free.

If money is no object, get Photoshop CS6 for doing the color schemes. If money is an object, then you can get Gimp for Free.

Third, even if you do get photoshop, get Gimp. Some of us use the normal plugin from Gimp despite have Photoshop.

The bigger cost is time. Making a model is a big undertaking. You can easily spend 100-200 hours on a model, and when you are learning, it will probably be on the high side. I have spent even more time than that on one of mine.
Thanks Madratter, I already have photoshop cs6 and may be getting the full edition of 3ds.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:43 AM

The student version is the full version. The only difference is the files are labled as such so you can't sell your files. Unless you plan to go into business, no need to spend 3500 on it.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:47 AM

Ok everyone. I'm going to get 3ds student version and wings. whichever one I like better I'll keep using.
I'm learning alot of stuff right now like 3D animation, java, airbrushing, and R/C Heli aerobatics so I may not be on all the time.

Thanks for all of your help guys,

Noah
Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 AM

Use Max.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:57 AM

As long as money is no object, can you buy each of us modelers our own copy of Max, please? None of us can justify buying Max just for doing RF models. You're in a very fortunate position.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:04 AM

I am learning MAX. Concerned with a 3 year limit. Is that true??
Old 12-06-2012, 11:15 AM

I'll tell you in about two and a half years.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:17 AM

It is a 3 year license, but I think you cab just DL another license after that expires.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: