Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:56 PM

The info on RC8 is appreciated. I have RC7 Ultimate and will stick with that for the time being as VR isn't a priority for me. I can fly outside at home when the weather cooperates so that's my VR alternative.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:45 AM

Good choice

[QUOTE=BrokeDad;292997]The info on RC8 is appreciated. I have RC7 Ultimate and will stick with that for the time being as VR isn't a priority for me. I can fly outside at home when the weather cooperates so that's my VR alternative.[/QUOTE
RF 7 or 8 is still very good for the flat screen . I can't see big difference from 7.5 to 8 anyway other than the very ordinary implemented VR.

I still use RF 8 for non VR.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xdeadbeef View Post
Well, yeah, even though I don't see the point, I have an RTX2080 and a Core i7-6700K, so not even RFX gives me troubles, but RC8 seem to be more comparable to classic RealFlight versions like 7.5 (I didn't mind to upgrade to RF8).
RFX is a totally different class, no matter how you look at it (geometry detail, lighting, water shader, grass/flowers/corn etc.).
Again, fly around a bit outside the church area in St. Gallen and be prepared to experience 3D from the 90s. Houses constructed from a few polygons, a totally blurry ground and bland repetitive textures that don't care if a window sits at the corner or directly under the roof.

Admittedly my remark about water was a bit short and inaccurate. So there is water visible in the 4D fields, but there is no real water simulation. Like you can ram a 24kg plane into the water surface and still only the nose will submerge a bit and then the whole plane (or its parts) will rest slightly wobbling on the surface.
Even in much older version of Realflight, you could touch the water surface with a wing tip or the tail and there would be a foam/wave effect on the surface etc.
With RC8, every touching of the water surface leads to an immediate crash. In (RC8) panoramas/photofields, it's even worse. Water seems to be a very sticky surface that destroys your plane. Actually, you can even fly under the water surface in one of the RC8 panoramas/photofields.
Wow, I don't know what you mean here? The Water in the 2x RC8's 4D Island fields (which are the ones I mainly use, and are kinda like RFX Wright Island) do water effects with floatplanes very well, even with just medium graphics quality. Much better than RFX imho. RF8 in VR does not even do water effects, lol! Maybe try to stick with 4D field comparisons, esp. for VR imho.

As far as rendering in 4D fields goes, there is no comparison. RC8 wins hands down to RFX imho. Trees and other scenery do not just popup as you get close to them like RFX, esp. in VR. Shadows do flicker unless you have enough PC power to use high or ultimate graphics quality settings. Actually I've found it best for my med PC power to use medium graphics settings with ultimate shadows.

I have seen your recent posts in the Aerofly RC8 forum complaining about how small foamies fly like bricks compared to RC7 (I do not have RC7 btw) and no one has agreed with this. I have tried a few foamies and they seem to fly ok to me. I mainly fly 3d planes and heli's in RF8, RC8 and real-life btw.

Also, not sure if you noticed but RC8 takes up about the same 9Gb disk space as RF8. RFX takes up ~30Gb. RC8 seems a bit more efficient.

Maybe have a look at this YT vid and show me where I'm missing something;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfjOudGSwkE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
The info on RC8 is appreciated. I have RC7 Ultimate and will stick with that for the time being as VR isn't a priority for me. I can fly outside at home when the weather cooperates so that's my VR alternative.
Ya, real life RC flying is always better! I don't have RC7 so I cannot say if RC8 is better or not for non-VR. But if you ever go VR, def look at RC8 imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellah1z View Post
RF 7 or 8 is still very good for the flat screen . I can't see big difference from 7.5 to 8 anyway other than the very ordinary implemented VR.

I still use RF 8 for non VR.
Ya, for me RF8 is still king for physics (even a bit better than 7.5, esp. with heli's imho) and I still like it a lot in VR as well. RC8 is def a lot more interesting in VR though and far better than RFX in VR or non-VR imho. I esp. like the 4D islands tunnels and caves that you can fly through if you have the nerve and the beach bunnies as long as your wife is not looking, lol!

I gotta say that after buying RFX early last year after it's 1.5 beta update I do feel kinda cheated. I doubt that a RFX 2.0 is in the works (but who knows?). Maybe a future RF9 that has options to run better in VR in dx11/12 but still allows lower end dx9 pc's options to handle non-vr is in the works? Maybe a discount for current RFX owners?

For now, I'm glad I have both RF8 and RC8 but wish I had never bought RFX.

Last edited by TomC; 01-30-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:11 AM

I watched the RC8 video, thanks for the link. To me the flight physics looked off but of course without flying it I couldn't say for sure but they looked off in the video. I did find a cool blooper in the video, or better said in one of their planes. Look inside the exhaust and notice you can see through the plane someone forgot to define those polygons as two sided.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AeroFly RC8.jpg (146.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-30-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
I watched the RC8 video, thanks for the link. To me the flight physics looked off but of course without flying it I couldn't say for sure but they looked off in the video. I did find a cool blooper in the video, or better said in one of their planes. Look inside the exhaust and notice you can see through the plane someone forgot to define those polygons as two sided.
Ya, since RC8 is still pretty well early version #1 it still has a few visual bugs like you found.

A few other complain that the plane smoke does not last long enough, lol!

Physics-wise I would say that RF8 is still the king but both still needs a little model editing for personal preferences imho.

Some guys seem to think that everything should work 100% to their liking out of the box. I kinda feel sorry for those guys since they must be pretty disappointed with most things, and life in general.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:07 PM

Actually RC8 is just RC7 with the Aerofly FS 2 simulation and rendering engine plus a very few models and scenaries. And it's not like the "new" rendering engine is really advanced in any way. It's just supposed to be faster and support VR. IMHO the same is true for the simulation engine. They say it would have better support for turbulences but I wonder how much of the turbulence simulation of an Airbus really applies to a foam model.
Anyway, the exiting models were not adapted in any way for the new simulation or rendering engine, so some of them fly like bricks now and the transparency is off for certain models.
Plus, quite a few features were removed or don't work anymore. And, yeah, custom scenaries and models for RC7 don't work anymore, either.
Again, VR seems the only valid reason to update to RC8. IMHO it's inferior to any previous RF version down to at least G4.5 in any possible way and is most certainly years away from RFX graphics wise.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:09 PM

I don't have RC7 so I cannot compare but I have now tried all RC8 foamies and I have to agree that some of them do indeed fly like bricks. All the RC8 small ~220g foamie profile planes like the shock-flyer are terrible, even if you mod them to 50% flying weight. These def need a re-work for RC8. All the other aircraft I've tried, including very small ones, seemed to fly pretty well. For now I suggest you just find a 3D acrobatic plane you like and just scale it down for an indoor venue like the gym.

I also agree that RC8 is really only worth buying for VR imho.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Ya, since RC8 is still pretty well early version #1 it still has a few visual bugs like you found.

A few other complain that the plane smoke does not last long enough, lol!

Physics-wise I would say that RF8 is still the king but both still needs a little model editing for personal preferences imho.

Some guys seem to think that everything should work 100% to their liking out of the box. I kinda feel sorry for those guys since they must be pretty disappointed with most things, and life in general.
Well said and I could not agree more.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Ooof... I can only imagine what goes on when their cars start acting up, or significant others too.

(Bad joke perhaps? Too much for KE Forums?)
Old 02-09-2019, 07:57 AM

Well this is the most read and commented RFX thread that does not belong to the publisher with 53 replies and 3,758 views.

Maybe someone at the developer/ publisher level at Knife edge might want to take note?
Old 02-11-2019, 03:20 PM

Response

You would think they would take note but I am sure they are too busy looking at what they can F up next to keep the $$ coming in...
Old 02-15-2019, 12:48 PM

What is plan for RF-X

Any chance we will ever see RF-X 1.5 public beta (1.50.004) updated to a real version update? This beta has been out for a year and no updates to RF-X since version xxxxx042 was released over a year ago. Is RF-X no longer planning to go forward. I can accept that but please just let us know what the intended path forward is for RF-X so that I can make decisions on my path forward. Maybe I missed an update?
Old 03-26-2019, 04:39 AM

I messaged the developers again last week and no reply not even a read receipt....
Old 04-27-2019, 10:12 PM

J Bourke is missing in action .

Interesting allegation about his past behaviour here.

https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports...-oregon-573413

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: