Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 04-22-2019, 05:43 PM

So nobody really cares about RFX then?

This product was touted as the future of RF and simulators.
People paid $100 and $180 for it depending on if they got the software only box.
People spent lots of money and effort on upgrading their systems or getting entirely new systems to run it.

Yet all is quiet, nobody seems to care about product updates & improvements,
Or if anything new based on this will ever come out.
What gives?
I'd expect customers would push for and care about better than this!
Is everyone that got this software really that lazy? or quick to give up?
Is the hobby/interest really just that dead?
Or are there only a small handful of customers that purchased it?

I'm just not getting the total lack of communication people saying nobody will answer
them.

And no word at all on if there is any future for this "new" sim and approach.

I have contacted support and all I am getting is a completely hands-off responses.

I asked some detailed questions and this is Horizon Hobby's response:

"Hello,

We have no further information to add. We are not aware of any future content updates expected. All information regarding software updates would be released on the Knife Edge webpage by the software developers.

I hope you find this information helpful."

This really is BS.
You can't just drop a project like this totally and not communicate with anyone.
Bunch of sheep here it seems.
But I guess I'm not going to get very far if nobody else here cares...
Like all of the only small tiny handful (maybe two hands) people that actually use RFX?
Old 04-22-2019, 06:20 PM

I bought it but once I found out what was needed to run it I sold it for half price. Since then I have been gifted another copy from a friend I helped with some heli parts. So it sits in it's little box unused until computers get cheap enough and good enough to use it.

I only know of about six people who actually run it and all but two of them are on this forum.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:16 PM

I kind of like it.
But don't like how it was dropped and what looks like zero communication back to the customers.
But if everyone pretty much send it back and we are left with only a small handful of people
as in less than ten it looks all of which have busy lives etc. I can sorta see it.
Bummer...
A couple of years have past and hardware is faster & cheaper.

Anyhow absolutely no excuse for KnifeEdge not communicating anything or sharing any
kind of where things are at and if they intend to just quit or not with RFX...

All that effort for a next gen sim and now just nothing.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:18 PM

N8LBV

I've been meaning to chime in about your comments but I've been working hard on one of my planes and kept putting it off. I definitely care about what happens to RF-X and if you read all my strongly worded comments about it in the beginning you know how much I care. Then they released the Beta and they really out did themselves and had something good going and I commented on it a lot. So I've done my part to get my points across to KnifeEdge about RF-X. And recently I made more comments about it. But right now the writing seems to be on the wall, KnifeEdge has abandoned RF-X (at least for now) and there's nothing we can do about it. You're just very late to a battle lots of us has fought for a long time.

Threads started by me about RF-X recently

What can we do to save RF-X

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33664

Is there any information on the next RF-X update?

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32623

I bought the full software-interlink package and upgraded my computer spending over $1,800.00 dollars and made the mistake of buying a GTX-1070 which in my opinion was a mistake and didn't have enough power to run RF-X properly on my 1920x1200 monitor so not to long ago I bought a GTX-1080 (on sale for $480) which runs it fine now. So I've got a lot invested in it and would LOVE for KnifeEdge to finally release the Beta they posted on the forum and start adding content to it. I would buy each and every new content they released for a 20 to 30 dollar price tag. So again I've done my part.

Last edited by technoid; 04-23-2019 at 03:57 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:51 PM

We have expressed our concerns of no RF-X updates here on the forums many times in the last year, what else can we do ? ...maybe set up an electronic petition ? ...get some placards and parade in front of the Knifeedge software offices ?...or just be patient and hope the developers realize the potential of RF-X.
I sincerely hope there is a version 2 of RF-X in the works,
RF-X is my go to simulator, the only time I switch to RF 7.5 is to use the aircraft editor.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:42 PM

Thanks for bringing me up to date.
I'm new and late to the game so to speak.
I will read the posts.
Thank you.

I feel there should be (continued) pressure on Knife Edge/Horizon to tell their customers
If they are abandoning the product or not.
Just to leave everyone hanging like this is not acceptable.
I have been currently asking Horizon Hobby to answer on this.

If nobody does I will continue to ask and start posting about it around the web looking for others that would like to know and are willing to press for an answer.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:32 PM

Have you ever heard of the expression .."beating a dead horse.... ????... that is in essence what you`re doing. Why keep beating a horse that`s dead...IT`S DEAD...move on. If it was going to happen, we would have heard by now.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:36 PM

First post died off at 12-31-2017 and nothing afterward.
Second more recent post is only quick chatter on the subject about desires.
no focus or effort on contacting anyone or doing anything to find out anything.
My intent is to ask and converse until an answer is obtained.
Not just ask here talk for a bit and disappear for a year.

If anyone wants to help with the effort please chime in.
I will continue on my own either way and in a continuous efficient as possible manner.
My efforts are expected to be rough and abrupt at first and more streamlined and pinpointed to where and who they need to be directed at as this progresses.

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle twist View Post
Have you ever heard of the expression .."beating a dead horse.... ????... that is in essence what you`re doing. Why keep beating a horse that`s dead...IT`S DEAD...move on. If it was going to happen, we would have heard by now.
Nope not for me.
If it's actually dead I need to hear it from the horse's mouth.
Not from speculators.
If they dropped it like this they need to own up to it and give proper closure.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:24 PM

RF-X is still being sold!

Ok so, no support, no answers, no comments on the status of RF-X. In my mind people who bought it deserve an answer but this, to me, is the most egregious issue regarding RF-X - It is STILL being sold by the publisher here.

No answers, no official statement to let people know the status, this I could accept though in my opinion it is bad business and horrible customer support to not be up front about the status. I bought software and it is no longer supported, it happens...

But IF, and it does appear to be the case... IF it is indeed dead and there has been a decision to no longer support it, it should be taken off the market, not sold to potential marks out there in order to clear out remaining inventory!

THAT to me is horrible ethics in any business.

I have enjoyed Real Flight products but the fact they are still selling it and apparently have abandoned it is a big issue to my mind.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:06 AM

Well said.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:28 AM

Yep,
They hyped this as the next great thing for Realflight.
People bought into it and were left hanging.
It's actually a great start it's a cool product and is unfinished.
Not telling anybody anything since Jan 2018 is a BIG FU to everyone who bought the software,
Spent even more on new hardware to run it and bought into the vision, trusted KE would not only update but add obviously missing features and fix the bugs and COMMUNICATE and continue to develop the product.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:00 PM

Angry ...

Looks like a few of us still care... Not sure what the fate of RF-X is yet though but at least we can edit vehicles and such and have a way of importing, as ancient and cumbersome as it is. I just did two of my favorite 4.5 models I always flew and actually have 2 (Electric Foamy) PBY Catalina's we fly off the boat or marina dock. I posted the updated RF-X .rfx import files in that forum section since we still don't have a 'swap' area either!

C'mon RF-X team, whoever you are today... respond.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:55 AM

I care, was hoping Horizon Hobby would fix this they own Real Flight but have given up hope, we defiantly got suckered on RF X.
JM2C
Lee
Old 06-10-2019, 11:55 AM

I think Real Flight's apparent abandonment of RF X might possibly boil down to the engine that drives the sim - it was simply a bad choice from the beginning and isn't repairable, at least to the point where so-called upgrades make it perform satisfactorily on a middle-of-the-road PC.

Another fault with RF X is the almost infinite number of settings, all there I suppose to allow the user to tweak the performance specific to his computer. My thought is that since there are so many variables, users likely won't ever find the "perfect" combination of settings. Too complicated. I think users would rather "fly" than tweak the program.

I sometimes wonder just how far simulators for home PC's can go. After all, we are limited to a single monitor, so are limited to no peripheral vision. And sure, super sharp (and smooth) graphics are nice, but does it make the aircraft fly better?

I uninstalled RF X months ago, in favor of RF 8.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: