Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight 7
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 10-07-2018, 12:47 PM

migrating RF7.5 from HDD to SSD

I've seen the threads about migrating to a new computer. And, I understand why those require a reinstall. But, simply upgrading a hard drive with a byte for byte clone should not require this, should it?

Every other application (gaming rig with 100s of games installed) all run fine. But, RF throws a 21051 unknown product code.

The ONLY thing I can think that would be different between the two pieces of hardware are the serial number and maybe the volume ID.

Any chance a serial spoofer using the old drive's serial # might work?

only reason I'm hesitant to do a reinstall is this machine doesn't have an optical drive. IIRC installing over the network took ages, and creating an iso on a flash drive is nearly as big a hassle--plus I only have v7. So, after all that I still need to upgrade to 7.5. Seems an awful big runaround for something that should take 30 seconds to overcome.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:14 PM

just an update for anyone else that has this issue: spoofing the original HDD serial number worked fine.

quick rundown of instructions:

1. with the original HDD booted (that has working copy of RF on it), open a cmd window and type 'dir'. that will display the directory contents of the c: drive; but, at the top it will also display the HDD's serial number in the hex format [xxxx-xxxx]. write that number down.

2. reboot with the newly cloned SSD

3. download 'Hard Disk Serial Number Changer'. I'd link it, but the links keep going down. Had a hard time finding it myself.

4. run 'Hard Disk Serial Number Changer' (as administrator in vista-win7).

5. note the serial number of the new SSD. You may need it some day???

6. change the serial to the old HDD serial.

7. reboot

8. run RF (worked for me)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: