Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:13 AM

I've been thinking about what's next and I think I'm going to do another original design. I plan to use the Clipper as a starting point and create a four engine Airliner using the Douglas DC-4 as the inspiration. I like to fly RC planes and true scale designs don't fly as well so I guess I'm stuck making my fantasy planes.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:25 AM

Sounds interesting, I am looking forward to following the build thread.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
I've been thinking about what's next and I think I'm going to do another original design. I plan to use the Clipper as a starting point and create a four engine Airliner using the Douglas DC-4 as the inspiration. I like to fly RC planes and true scale designs don't fly as well so I guess I'm stuck making my fantasy planes.
Would you like assistance with "true scale designs" Physics. I would gladly help if you want.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Would you like assistance with "true scale designs" Physics. I would gladly help if you want.
Thanks legoman if I start heading the true scale route I'll give you a shout
Old 07-20-2019, 12:14 AM

I made a mistake when I created the 'Airliner' build thread so I just deleted it. It was really a Douglas DC-4 build thread but since I didn't plan to make a pure scale model I thought using 'Airliner' was good enough but that was a mistake so I deleted it. I may or may not create another build thread later but right now I'll just work on it at home and see where it goes. But thanks to those that posted in it.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:42 AM

Sorry to hear you abandoned the Airliner build, the model was taking shape real nice, whatever you do will be great, you always seem to make the right decisions.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I made a mistake when I created the 'Airliner' build thread so I just deleted it. It was really a Douglas DC-4 build thread but since I didn't plan to make a pure scale model I thought using 'Airliner' was good enough but that was a mistake so I deleted it. I may or may not create another build thread later but right now I'll just work on it at home and see where it goes. But thanks to those that posted in it.
No worries. I hope my size teasing didn't put you off it. I ordered yet another helicopter today .. shhhhhh !!
Old 07-20-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj5547 View Post
Sorry to hear you abandoned the Airliner build, the model was taking shape real nice, whatever you do will be great, you always seem to make the right decisions.
Thanks. It's just that I didn't want to put out all the effort it takes to model a plane into creating yet another No-Name plane. I want my effort to count for a little more than that now days.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
No worries. I hope my size teasing didn't put you off it. I ordered yet another helicopter today .. shhhhhh !!
Ha.. no problem you're my buddy, kidding doesn't bother me at all. Like I said in my other post it's just too much work to create a no-name plane when I'm really modeling a Douglas DC-4 just a little 'off' true scale.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Ha.. no problem you're my buddy, kidding doesn't bother me at all. Like I said in my other post it's just too much work to create a no-name plane when I'm really modeling a Douglas DC-4 just a little 'off' true scale.
WELLLLL, then, just name it "semi scale DC-4", there`s plenty of those in the real world of rc planes (semi scale) probably more than "scale" ones,and if need be, put that in your description as well, nobody here or anyone that DL`s it, is going to be critical of it. PLUS, it would open up a good number CS opportunities.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:05 PM

Scale or semi-scale, I would download any model of yours, I really appreciate all your hard work thanks Technoid.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:44 AM

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts on my (almost) DC-4 (build) I really appreciate it. The truth is I don't want to specify, justify, or explain a model I'm working on I just want to create my version of it. A bit off here and there but still very much a DC-4. Ha.. how close to perfect is those foam planes everyone flies these days. I haven't been able to get back to the 'Airliner' yet so it's just sitting there. But hopefully I'll get back to it because it would be a cool plane and I'd probably move it up to a 200 inch wingspan so it has that large presence sitting on the runway.

You know back in the day a plane like that would have inverted single engines with a cutout in the bottom of the cowl for the engine to stick out of, and I gave some thought into doing the same thing instead of having my typical radials in the engine bay. I know the radials look good in there but in reality who would spend 8 to 10 thousand bucks on the engines. I know I couldn't afford to do that. Just a thought I do like seeing those radials in the engine bays.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:09 AM

I guess a short update on what I've been doing to the Realflight Clipper. I took some time this morning and reworked the physics to get rid of the CG Adjustment setting by adding a Mass to the front of the Fuselage with the weight needed to balance it. The added weight increased the wing loading to 29.5 oz. with a total weight of 120.5 lbs. I also moved the CG back about 2 inches which improved the flying a bit. I also upped the point where the differential engine control is disabled to 25% of total throttle. That allows you to have a bit more speed when you're taxing and still have good steering control. So I guess this weekend it will finally get released.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:04 AM

Quote:
how close to perfect is those foam planes everyone flies these days. .

I was going to bring that up in my post, BUT, I already posted it and did not want to bother with an edit, but I think I kind of conveyed that message, but it does reflect my point exactly...... Tech., you do what you do, and we`re all fine with it here, as is all the people that DL your models, SO, keep doing what you`re doing. ANNNNND, a "somewhat" DC-4 will be just fine. I hope you move forward with it.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:01 AM

Planes were a lot different back in our day when you had to piece them together with bits of cut balsa then cover in monokote. Fancy detail wasn't that important. If it looked liked something in the real world close was good enough.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: