Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:26 PM

Take your time and have fun getting it how you want.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj5547 View Post
Now that is a major change to Stagger, was not sure at first glance but the new Stagger is looking better every time I look at it, ultimately, the way it fly's is what we all want, your models always have great flight physics, excellent work Technoid.
Thanks. Yeah changes always take some time to get used to, especially for me. I'm doing an update with a beta so you'll be able to try out the new Stagger and find out for yourself it the changes helped.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
Take your time and have fun getting it how you want.
Thanks BD I think the changes I added did just what I wanted them to do so I'm pretty happy with Stagger right now. I'm uploading a beta so you can try it too.

Last edited by technoid; 09-25-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:24 AM

Here's an early beta of the changes I made to Stagger. I say early because the only thing I remapped is the VStab, and it definitely needed it. I didn't remap the HStab so I'm sure there's bad places on it. But I don't see them so it's good enough for an 'early beta'. I'll finish mapping everything but like always I did the minimum to get the plane going so I could fly it.

Changes. The Wing Cord was reduced about 1.2 inches and the HStab and VStab were completely reworked. The VStab was moved back almost 6 inches and I made the rudder longer so it would go to the bottom of the fuselage. The HStab was cut in the middle and an angle added on each side to give the rudder a 45 degree throw. I'm really happy with the changes both the looks and flight physics were improved. The tail looks more like a real plane now and moving the rudder back almost six inches definitely made a change to how Stagger handles in the air. In a nutshell expect more rudder authority. I found hovers and spins are easier and if you fly flat turns expect an improvement there too. Simply put the rudder is a lever that moves the plane side to side and moving it back almost 6 inches increased the leverage. So give it a try and see what you think. I noticed the changes right off and was happy to see they did exactly what I wanted them to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stagger 42.jpg (189.1 KB, 8 views)
Attached Files
File Type: rfx Stagger Sport_EA.RFX (2.93 MB, 12 views)

Last edited by technoid; 09-25-2018 at 06:10 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:23 AM

Just grabbed the new beta, thanks Technoid.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:35 AM

Okay, now I am sold on the new Stagger, definitely more effect from the rudder, as usual Mr. Perfection strikes again !!! Great job, Technoid.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:40 AM

Bug detected: rudder servo horn pivot needed recentered
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-09-25 11_36_16-Window.jpg (38.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-25-2018, 11:50 AM

Got the new beta. My old CS's work still except for the top of the rudder. I may touch that up but it looks kinda cool for the moment.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
Got the new beta. My old CS's work still except for the top of the rudder. I may touch that up but it looks kinda cool for the moment.
Not mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-09-25 12_06_22-Window.jpg (62.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-09-25 12_08_13-Window.jpg (71.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-25-2018, 12:29 PM

The stripe is kinda cool looking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stagger Black.jpg (174.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-25-2018, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the reports. But I haven't finished mapping the changes yet so all of that was expected at this point. I uploaded the beta so you could see how the new position of the rudder affected flight physics in a positive way. Now I'm going back and finishing everything up and will upload another beta when all that is fixed. Got a dental appointment in a bit so I have to stop right now.

Legoman. Thanks for letting me know about the pivots. I just finished some more work on the tail features and have already updated the pivot points. And yeah they were off a lot they hadn't been updated since I moved the rudder back and shifted things around. So lots of them were off.

A small update. When I created the tail feathers I made the frame around the transparent rib cage too narrow and it's always bugged me, so I just finished making it a bit wider. So now when I put the stripes back on they won't almost cover up the frame. Here's a render without the stripes on it.

I better take my pre-meds and get ready for the Dentist.

Legoman. One of the tweaks I just did was to make the arm on the rudder servo wider so the rods going back to the rudder aren't at an angle anymore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stagger 43.jpg (80.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by technoid; 09-25-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
nice changes , i just downloaded your new beta thanks technoid
Old 09-26-2018, 11:12 AM

Here's the Black and Gold CS with the top of the tail touched up/fixed for the new beta.
Attached Files
File Type: rfx Stagger Sport Black Gold_CS.RFX (1.91 MB, 8 views)
Old 09-26-2018, 02:04 PM

I just finished remapping the hstab and vstab and have already updated the pivot points so things are going pretty good. But I still need to go back and remap the wing because I reduced the wing by 1 inch and moved the back of the aileron forward .2 inch so the chord of the wing is 1.2 inches less than before. So I need to remap the wing before I release another beta. Then you guys can map your CSs right again. Sorry about that I just wanted everyone to see how much better the plane flew with the changes. I didn't think about the temporary color schemes you guys have done. Ha.. my bad on that one. I just got tired of mapping and needed a break.

Oh.. I've also moved a few things around so the CS map will be a bit different. The largest change are to the rib cages which shouldn't affect you guys since it's only the balsa grain I apply to it. But the HStab and VStab positions are a bit different because of the change in their shapes. Some info on the changes so you know what's coming.

One another note I've been reading LOTS of RTX 2080 reviews. At this point I don't see me changing my monitor so I suppose a GTX 2080 is really all I need. But the Founders Edition of the RTX 2080 looks pretty good, they say it's very quiet and that's the most important thing to me. And of course it is faster than the GTX 1080 too, for a 200 dollar premium though. Arg.. I wish I had just bought a GTX 1080 the first time.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
One another note I've been reading LOTS of RTX 2080 reviews. At this point I don't see me changing my monitor so I suppose a GTX 2080 is really all I need. But the Founders Edition of the RTX 2080 looks pretty good, they say it's very quiet and that's the most important thing to me. And of course it is faster than the GTX 1080 too, for a 200 dollar premium though. Arg.. I wish I had just bought a GTX 1080 the first time.
Do you have a 1080 or 1080 TI? I thought you had a 1080 TI. A plain RTX 2080 is equivalent to GTX 1080 TI.

RTX 2080 review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUM_eINGUl4

RTX 2080 ti review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpDG13PrNPg

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: