Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:27 PM

Thumbs up Real flight SLI incompatibly and VR impact

Well i hate to say it but i am about to give up on Realflight 8. There is an issue with SLI and VR compatibility that can only be resolved by removing one of my Graphics cards. As you can imagine this is not a viable solution.

My machine is as follows
  • 9900k @ 5Ghz
  • 2 x RTX 2080 Ti
  • 32 GB Ram
  • HTC Vive

With only one 2080 installed i achieve
1500 fps+ @ high graphics settings on my monitor
90 fps @ high graphics settings when in VR with SteamVR global resolution set to 200% and application resolution set to 150% and re-projection set to override off.
This is buttery smooth and like being at the field

With both cards installed
700 fps @ high graphics settings on my monitor
44.8 fps @ high graphics setting when in VR with SteamVR global resolution set to 200% and resolution set to 150% and re projection set to override off.
This is horrible and the like flying two ghosts

The values when both cards installed don't change regardless of
in game graphics settings from high to low to anything in between
setting SLI enabled or disabled in nvidia control panel
setting Realflight Profile in nVidia control panel to override SLI render method to Single GPU setting

I can achieve 70fps in VR with both card with low graphics settings (under setting everything off or low) and SteamVR global resolution set to 100% and resolution set to 30% and re projection set to override off.
This is barely passable for doing heli hovering but unusable at any distance

in short there is a REAL issue with Realflight and how it sees SLI configurations. Even if you have SLI disabled, the product is unusable in VR and the non VR performance hit is unacceptable.

I have submitted a ticket to Knife edge so lets see what they say

Last edited by jdpg2; 01-13-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:33 PM

I do not think that any current VR system (Oculus, HTC, or WMR) supports SLI dual gpu's right now so this is a general VR issue, not a RF8 issue imho.

Maybe check with your PC supplier and ask if there is a way to temporarily disable one of your 2080ti gpu's (bios, device manager, or simply removing one?). I honestly do not see the point in having both of these installed at the same time anyway, not for any current VR at least. Seems to be over-kill but maybe you have other apps like heavy video editing that can use this power?
Old 01-14-2019, 08:02 PM

This is purely a Real flight 8 issue. I develop software for a living so i have some in site into the underlying drivers. I have over 40 VR titles that all run flawlessly on my SLI rig at 90+ fps, with over 2x SS. All of these products are intelligent enough to only render to one card. Two of my other VR titles however DO support SLI and run flawlessly as well, one of them being nVidia fun house.

The issue here ,is that Real flight for some reason, is locking the FPS to 45 when it sees two cards and appears to be ignoring the nVidia profile settings even when its set specifically to use Single GPU. If i remove one card, right back to 90 fps and perfect. This is Real flight related and they have an issue.

Sorry to digress but your "seeing the point", isn't the the point. My PC is custom built by me for both working and gaming and i have not had any issues with any other VR related titles until now. Removing a card is simply not an option, especially when every other title i own (VR and non VR) runs perfectly.

The better option is returning Real flight and looking for a VR alternative that works as it should, but i will give Knife Edge a chance to reply and sort this out first. My guess is they have an API parameter set incorrectly.

Last edited by jdpg2; 01-14-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:14 PM

It's probably due to the DirectX 9 API being the primary underlying software.. Realflight has always had issues with SLI ever since I can remember.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:18 PM

Now that sounds like a reasonable cause for the issue. I wasn't aware that real flight engine is using Direct X 9. interesting.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpg2 View Post
This is purely a Real flight 8 issue. I develop software for a living so i have some in site into the underlying drivers. I have over 40 VR titles that all run flawlessly on my SLI rig at 90+ fps, with over 2x SS. All of these products are intelligent enough to only render to one card. Two of my other VR titles however DO support SLI and run flawlessly as well, one of them being nVidia fun house.

The issue here ,is that Real flight for some reason, is locking the FPS to 45 when it sees two cards and appears to be ignoring the nVidia profile settings even when its set specifically to use Single GPU. If i remove one card, right back to 90 fps and perfect. This is Real flight related and they have an issue.

Sorry to digress but your "seeing the point", isn't the the point. My PC is custom built by me for both working and gaming and i have not had any issues with any other VR related titles until now. Removing a card is simply not an option, especially when every other title i own (VR and non VR) runs perfectly.

The better option is returning Real flight and looking for a VR alternative that works as it should, but i will give Knife Edge a chance to reply and sort this out first. My guess is they have an API parameter set incorrectly.
OK, good to know, thanks. Please let us know how you make out. I wonder if Realflight RFX would work any better with your SLI? Maybe check with RF support on that. Thanks again and good luck mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
It's probably due to the DirectX 9 API being the primary underlying software.. Realflight has always had issues with SLI ever since I can remember.
Ya, that might well be the reason. Hopefully a future version (RF9?) will update the graphics engine for higher performance PC's and better VR.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:28 PM

Unfortunately if Real flight RFX doesn't support VR then i might as well go back to using Pheonix. Since i live near where the President likes to spend his summer weekend, the RC flying has suffered. The VR aspect is so much better then flying on a screen.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:19 AM

RF-X does indeed support VR with the 1.5 beta update, however it's not 100% refined. If KE would let us know if they are still developing that platform I would highly recommend it.

RF8 uses DX9, but for the VR stuff there are a few files from DX11 in there to enable it to work with VR. Everything else is all DX9 and has been for years. The engine that runs realflight G3-RF8 requires DX9. RF-X was supposed to be the product that gets away from that limitation.

Last edited by csgill75; 01-15-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:01 PM

Well i am happy to say i heard from the support team. That to me is 90% of the battle usually. While i expected this answer the fact that they did answer means i am going to stick it out a bit with RF8. I will keep you all posted.

#################################
Hello,

We have passed your issue forward to the development team. Since you are using cutting edge hardware (not to mention two of the latest GPUs) there is no real solution to your compatibility issue at this time. Some suggestions would be to toggle Full Screen in the graphics settings of RF8 or changing the Graphics Adapter setting. We will inform the development team in order to try and push for a fix but in the meantime, you may want to just run RF on one card rather than the SLI configuration.

Take care,

Zach || Product Support
##################################
Old 01-20-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpg2 View Post

Check out Aerofly RC8 as the developer ON rc8 is trying to be on the leading edge of VR devlopment. I have swapped now and I am very pleased I did .

Realflight RFX is now probably a legacy product and RF8 is falling so far behind it really is a legacy pproduct by function now.

Oh and the good news is that you can use your RFX or Realflight 8 controller perfectly but the bad news is that Aerofly is bloody expensive but it's worth it especially for VR. I think Tom C is already there with me too as I followed him.

Last edited by Bellah1z; 01-20-2019 at 04:42 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:41 AM

Ya, Aerofly RC8 is pretty darn good, esp. with VR. Still has a few typical first edition bugs but the developer seems to be sorting this out fairly quickly. I gotta say that I still enjoy RF8 though, but not RFX. Once the final RC8 bugs are sorted out I will try to do a brief comparison for RF8, RFX, and RC8.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:46 AM

eye candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Ya, Aerofly RC8 is pretty darn good, esp. with VR. Still has a few typical first edition bugs but the developer seems to be sorting this out fairly quickly. I gotta say that I still enjoy RF8 though, but not RFX. Once the final RC8 bugs are sorted out I will try to do a brief comparison for RF8, RFX, and RC8.
Yes I totally agree Tom, I don't mind RF8 but it is old school now compared to RC8 but I have not made my mind up on the physics but it seems to be so good I can't call a big difference.

My view is though if you want real physics you go fly for real but in a sim eye candy is important as the physics as without eye candy you get bored because you don't get immersed and the eye candy in RC8 is so much better and you can't compare Rf8 in VR to Rc8 as it's so far behind.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: