Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:37 PM

RFX Dead?

Please let us know if you have decided to consider RFX dead as I know many are looking to purchase AeroFly 8 and can only justify the cost if Knife Edge is not going to ever get the Beta release to production...
Old 01-18-2019, 02:55 PM

Nice, insulting and inquisitive in the same post.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:59 PM

RF-X was released 22nd. November 2016, RF-X 1.5 was released January 19th 2018, the launch of RF-X 2.0 must be coming soon.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj5547 View Post
RF-X was released 22nd. November 2016, RF-X 1.5 was released January 19th 2018, the launch of RF-X 2.0 must be coming soon.
I sure hope that's true but I'm worried that RF-X is dead. It came out and got a terrible reputation and people rejected it because of the high requirements to run it properly. And now the change of publisher may mean there's no one to foot the bill for development. Like others have said it would be nice to get a definitive answer to it's future but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've said lots of times the 1.5 Beta changed everything but it was probably too late to save the day. But Wright Island in the 1.5 Beta is definitely a cool place to fly and with the power of the new CPUs and GPUs RF-X should be given a second chance. So Yeah I hope RF-X 2.0 is in the works but they need 3 more areas like Wright Island in a 2.0 release to give it a solid feel.

Last edited by technoid; 01-19-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:58 PM

I agree Technoid. It is a good sim with the right hardware, but I would also like to know if its still in development. AeroFly 8 is a Direct competitor to RF-X right now as its leaps and bounds above RF-8 especially in the VR department. RF-X 2.0 would really give them competition.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:22 AM

I'd think if there were good news something would have been said. Silence usually means it's not being mentioned for a reason. I see ads for RF-8 out there but none for RF-X also.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:40 AM

Caught in a hard place. RF-X rejected because the hardware demands are too high. RF-8 rejected because it doesn't take advantage of high end hardware......
Old 01-19-2019, 12:08 PM

Requirements for RF-X were high at release but not over the top for people with modern gaming systems. People who were using RF7.5 were okay with using 10-12 year old hardware because it ran fine. Many people did not upgrade their hardware over the course of realflight from G3-7.5 because they did not have to. Then the next generation comes out with modern pc requirements and it gets dogged out because the customer doesn't want to have to upgrade his 10 year old computer..

This is why we have RF8. It's because so many people have old hardware to run the simulator. What should have been done was continued support for RF-X and RF8 should have never existed. We would have a much more polished version of RF-X and people would eventually have to update their hardware as the old hardware dies out. They would not be able to go to the competition either because their requirements would also be above what was required for RF7.5.

Last edited by csgill75; 01-19-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:57 PM

Angry RFX , have we been ripped off and lied to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
Requirements for RF-X were high at release but not over the top for people with modern gaming systems. People who were using RF7.5 were okay with using 10-12 year old hardware because it ran fine. Many people did not upgrade their hardware over the course of realflight from G3-7.5 because they did not have to. Then the next generation comes out with modern pc requirements and it gets dogged out because the customer doesn't want to have to upgrade his 10 year old computer..

This is why we have RF8. It's because so many people have old hardware to run the simulator. What should have been done was continued support for RF-X and RF8 should have never existed. We would have a much more polished version of RF-X and people would eventually have to update their hardware as the old hardware dies out. They would not be able to go to the competition either because their requirements would also be above what was required for RF7.5.
It's a shame but I think the lack of any form of update by the developer means its like those Indie titles on Steam that have gone dead but they leave them out there just in case a sucker might put some more money in the tin.

I for one liked RFX but I was fortunate to have the right hardware but I did try it on a laptop top that I could run RF7.5 and it was hopeless so I understand why people felt annoyed when they replaced 7.5 for RFX.

I have now moved onto Aerofly RC8 and its what RFX could have been by now if they had kept developing it and updated its graphics engine but alas the publisher changed and obviously has starved the title of development.

Anyone thinking this is just on some delayed release schedule are in denial it's more than likely now a legacy product. Forget it and support Aerofly as this company is keen to develop RC flight simming alongside their full scale flight simming.

It would be good manners if the developer would just put it there if this is now a legacy product but I guess while they have stock they will just catch a few more suckers.

If and when I find out we have been kept in the dark so that the developer and publisher can get residual income and to profit from newbies I will never buy another Realflight product as I despise cheats and liars and those that take advantage of others.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:16 PM

Wow, harsh!
X has been out for a little over 2 yrs. Last update a year ago. 8 came a year after X, and last updated 2 mos. ago. Into the mix was big financial decline of the old distributor, and the bankruptcy conversion to a new one, starting 9 months ago. Lots of work and change for a relatively small organization. Calling X dead, and attributing ithe cause to the new distributor, appears to be over the top at this point. As is branding the company as a "cheat and liar". Time for you to delete the software and move on to your new toy.....
Old 01-20-2019, 02:31 PM

I believe Bellah1z is completely out of line and shilling for a competitor. Knife Edge has never bellowed about upcoming features. Calling them cheats and liars is absolutely unfounded. They have always delivered. I want to say shut your pie hole, but that is rude, so I won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellah1z View Post
If and when I find out we have been kept in the dark so that the developer and publisher can get residual income and to profit from newbies I will never buy another Realflight product as I despise cheats and liars and those that take advantage of others.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
I believe Bellah1z is completely out of line and shilling for a competitor. Knife Edge has never bellowed about upcoming features. Calling them cheats and liars is absolutely unfounded. They have always delivered. I want to say shut your pie hole, but that is rude, so I won't.
he said pie hole.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:27 PM

Off topic, but RFX might be dead but the damn good Tech Support is still alive as ever. Got my RealFlight G3 serial number supported and helped in almost just a few hours.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:06 AM

Not out of line

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
I live in Australia and have absolutely no idea who owns Ikarus or Ipac and Aerofly but its what RFX was supposed to have been so I am not shilling anyone's product, its just that Aerofly have a product that RFX was supposed to be. RFX are hardly a competitor anymore as it's now a legacy product by any other name and that's sad as I would have preferred to have not had to pay $200 to buy a replacement simulator for RFX.

The reality is the only update was a year ago and it was not an update it was a major patch to make it at least work in a way that it was a usable early release type product in terms of it's functionality compared to RF 7.5. I expected something that was better than 7.5 and that was the way it was marketed and while the graphics looked great functionally it was a complete waste of money.

This product was overhyped and overmarketed and no attempt in the last 12 months to communicate or explain what's happening. I am hopeful they (whomever they are now) deliver but I doubt it and that makes them cheats and lairs if they have taken our money and just ran.

On a side note I see someone asking whether to buy RF8 or RFX which was my exact point as there are suckers out there to buy old stock for a product that is not a full release product. That's unethical and they need to either make it a legacy product or at least be open as to what the product development road is for the future.

I wont respond to your personal attack but just because someone has an opinion different to yours only makes them out of line with you and makes you wrong.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:23 AM

Talking Flapping on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
Wow, harsh!
X has been out for a little over 2 yrs. Last update a year ago. 8 came a year after X, and last updated 2 mos. ago. Into the mix was big financial decline of the old distributor, and the bankruptcy conversion to a new one, starting 9 months ago. Lots of work and change for a relatively small organization. Calling X dead, and attributing ithe cause to the new distributor, appears to be over the top at this point. As is branding the company as a "cheat and liar". Time for you to delete the software and move on to your new toy.....
The reality is the only update was a year ago and it was not an update it was a major patch to make it at least work in a way that it was a usable early release type product in terms of it's functionality compared to RF 7.5. I expected something that was better than 7.5 and that was the way it was overmarketed and over hyped and while the graphics looked great, the functionally was a complete waste of money.

I will not delete the software as I paid for it (I didn't get it for free nor did you pay for it on my behalf) and I use the controller with Aerofly and it costs me nothing to keep it on my PC . However I'll wait and see what happens as I am not in a state of denial as you are or what we say in Australia. " a roo caught in the headlights of a car".

I feel its important that new people coming into this software understand RFX is no more than a partially functioning early release program and that there are other better sims out there now 2 years later... including its own stablemate RF8.

Do I feel lied to and cheated? Not quite yet but I think the developer's lack of communication as to the future of this product and complete silence for a year is poor but with the bankruptcy I gave them some time to at least say something and the silence is deafening. I guess if it never gets developed any further yes I feel lied to and cheated and they will be liars and cheats for cashing in on the uneducated and unsuspecting.

Oh and Flapper at least my "toy" is a flight Sim and doesn't need D cell batteries.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: