Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:50 PM

Grumman F8F Bearcat

The T-28 is almost finished so I've been thinking about my next plane I really like the F8F Bearcat so it's next. I found a couple of plans for it on outerzone and aerofred but if anyone knows of any other plans let me know because I'd like to see them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bear-10-1.jpg (437.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Grumman F8F Bearcat 07.jpg (435.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 485 (2).JPG (268.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-07-2018, 02:03 PM

There are some downloadable plans here:

http://scale-model-aircraft.com/plan...an-f8f-bearcat

Another one here:

https://aviationshoppe.com/airplane_...s.php?file=986
Old 02-07-2018, 02:08 PM
Knife Edge Software Owner

One of my favorite airshow memories is taxiing out to the runway following a Bearcat at the Tacoma airshow a couple of years ago. Such a cool plane. We took our time taxiing past the crowd. No one was looking at my Extra. Everyone's eyes were on the Bearcat.

We got to the end of the taxiway and sat for awhile. Eventually the Air Boss called to the Bearcat and told him to line up and wait on the numbers. He sat on the numbers for about 30 seconds and then the Air Boss told him to depart. It was a pretty moist day, as usual in this part of the country. When he hit the throttle I could feel the engine vibration in my chest. The prop came up to speed instantly. Condensation rings formed around the propeller tips creating tight spirals around the body of the airplane. These continued to form for a couple hundred feet as the aircraft accelerated. I wish I had my tail camera on for this because it was stunning, but it is stored as a memory I'm sure I'll never forget.

I sat on the runway for a few minutes while he did his show and loved every pass he did.

Great airplane. Surely the pinnacle of radial engine aircraft.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-07-04 10.59.04.jpg (500.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-07-2018, 02:08 PM
Knife Edge Software Owner

Cockpit shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-07-04 11.16.55.jpg (563.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 02-07-2018, 03:17 PM

Eww Eww Eww ... I have one of those too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171015_080250.jpg (566.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-07-2018, 03:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
another excellent plane to model , i did do a CS for the one we have on the swaps but time for an updated version for sure technoid , gotta love Jims story about the airshow F8F
Old 02-07-2018, 06:01 PM

Agreed Doug, Jim`s story reminds of the time I took a flight in a P-51 (Dan Vance`s plane, "speedball Alice", Jim, you`ve , no doubt met him,) The gas tank was removed from behind the pilot`s seat, and a seat put in it`s place, I`m 6 ft-2", so it was a cozy fit to be sure. I guess having that seat helps finance the upkeep on the plane, that ride was $650.00 about 12 +/- yrs. ago. Don`t know what it today though.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
Very cool, thanks I'll check them out.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbourke View Post
One of my favorite airshow memories is taxiing out to the runway following a Bearcat at the Tacoma airshow a couple of years ago. Such a cool plane. We took our time taxiing past the crowd. No one was looking at my Extra. Everyone's eyes were on the Bearcat.

We got to the end of the taxiway and sat for awhile. Eventually the Air Boss called to the Bearcat and told him to line up and wait on the numbers. He sat on the numbers for about 30 seconds and then the Air Boss told him to depart. It was a pretty moist day, as usual in this part of the country. When he hit the throttle I could feel the engine vibration in my chest. The prop came up to speed instantly. Condensation rings formed around the propeller tips creating tight spirals around the body of the airplane. These continued to form for a couple hundred feet as the aircraft accelerated. I wish I had my tail camera on for this because it was stunning, but it is stored as a memory I'm sure I'll never forget.

I sat on the runway for a few minutes while he did his show and loved every pass he did.

Great airplane. Surely the pinnacle of radial engine aircraft.

Jim
Jim,

Thanks for the cool story and reference pictures the cockpit picture will definitely help. And yeah it had to be the pinnacle of radial engine aircraft that's for sure.

Gary (aka technoid)
Old 02-07-2018, 08:27 PM

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...an-F8F-Bearcat Have a looksie in this thread ... plenty of 3-views and exploded views and enough info to keep you going ... all in one thread ...

Last edited by DDawg; 02-07-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDawg View Post
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...an-F8F-Bearcat Have a looksie in this thread ... plenty of 3-views and exploded views and enough info to keep you going ... all in one thread ...
Thanks I got lots of good stuff from there!
Old 02-17-2018, 01:03 AM

I've been looking at the different versions of the F8F and for some reason I really like the first version. I don't know for sure yet but I might end up doing that one.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:18 PM

Good Choice!

The Bearcat was a great aircraft that came just a tad too late in the war. It was Grumman's best attempt at a propeller driven fighter ... It still holds speed records and rate of climb records ... It was basically a beast of an engine with a plane wrapped around it ... your 9 cylinder beauty will go nicely with the

oops ... wrong bearcat ....

Last edited by DDawg; 02-17-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:58 AM

Good God, look at the size of that prop!

If I didnt know that pic was legit, I'd think someone overlooked the "prop visual scale (%)" toggle on the edit page!!

What a BEAST!
Old 02-18-2018, 01:41 PM

I've been gathering lots of pictures of the F8F getting ready to start on it and decided to model the F8F-2 after reading the history of the changes they made for the second version, so I better go with the tall tail since it's one of the F8F's defining features. At this point I plan on using the drawings from the rcgroups webpage ddawg posted a link to they're very detailed and should work okay for modeling. I'm not sure when I'll start and this plane will probably take me longer since I'm a bit tired of working so many hours at a time on modeling. But I'll get there.

Like all my planes this will be a semi-scale version so expect a few differences here and there. It will be very close to the original but I model to fly not to look at so being a better RC plane is always first to me. It'll have the guns on the wings but I don't plan to model the belly tank or ordnance on the wing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: