Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:06 PM

Here is something you might be able to use for sound down the road ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw6UWPaTUt0

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XcI1RCXXJU

As an RC Flying model goes, my eleven hobby F8F-2 is a sweetheart of a plane to fly. I love it ... but a handful when the CG is too far aft ... LOL ... don't ask, but my maiden flight used up 6 of it's 9 lives on the first flight! Hence why Satan's Kitty is a deserving name for it ...

Also a Squadron Known as Satan's kittens ... of which flew the F8F-2 off the USS Boxer (CV-21) in 1950, and F8F-1 in 1947 ...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1280px-Grumman_Bearcat.jpg (65.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by DDawg; 02-18-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
It'll have the guns on the wings but I don't plan to model the belly tank or ordnance on the wing.
I totally agree...all that extra "stuff" is cool, only if it can be JETTISONED...the lines of a fighter need to be clean!
Old 02-18-2018, 10:53 PM

Gotta luv the Grumman Iron Works....

Except for the Tomcat, exactly ZERO of their fighters, ever looked like "fighters"....

Literally, EVERYTHING from WW2 looks "hotter" than a Wildcat.
Except MAYBE the Brewster Buffalo..

P-40, P-51.... SPITFIRE?
All of them "look the part"

But Grumman?

The Hellcat was only a slight improvement in the "looks" department....

And whats with that goofy aspect ratio on the Bearcat Tail?
Too tall and skinny, it just looks WRONG, hell even that fat P-47 was more proportioned, more symmetrical, more "muscular" in appearance....
a bruiser, yeah but it "looks" like a fighter.

Grumman?

Sheesh.

Every God-blessed Grumman Product reminds me of MY OLD MAN....
Not very "sleek" AT ALL

Pedestrian, perpetual middle-aged belly...strong back but no "biceps", tireless legs but no "Six-Pack"....
Built for Loyal Reliability, with zero flash, fashion sense or "coolness" factor...

Gettin the job done, day and night, 24/7/365 just BECAUSE....

Working harder, longer, better and faster than all the pretenders, with no complaints or finicky "maintenance issues"...

In the Dark, over Open Ocean, landing on a two-car driveway....

Effing Grummans....

Never a very hot looking machine, amiright!?...

Last edited by Moto-Guzzi; 02-18-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:07 PM

Nope. Sounds like your judging a book by its cover, hope you don`t judge people the same way. It`s the pilot that makes the plane, as well as the plane making the pilot, by its capabilities in the air, remember, if he`s a GOOD pilot, he straps the airplane too him, making him the master, not the other way around.

Last edited by uncle twist; 02-18-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:26 PM

To each, their own ...

I think the Bearcat's record's speaks for themselves, although, they arrived too late for WWII. Korea was time for Jets ... and they saw little to none in combat action.

So, the Bearcat never really got its chance to shine. Even the P-51's had to take notice of this beast. Just in shear muscle alone. Who knows how it would have stacked up in the South Pacific if only it made it out a couple of years earlier.

The tall tail was needed to combat Yaw issues, but the P-51 had its issues with Yaw as well ...

but, I agree, that the F8F is an acquired taste in the looks department. I happen to love the Grumman line of aircraft. At least in the looks department.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDawg View Post
Here is something you might be able to use for sound down the road ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw6UWPaTUt0

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XcI1RCXXJU

As an RC Flying model goes, my eleven hobby F8F-2 is a sweetheart of a plane to fly. I love it ... but a handful when the CG is too far aft ... LOL ... don't ask, but my maiden flight used up 6 of it's 9 lives on the first flight! Hence why Satan's Kitty is a deserving name for it ...

Also a Squadron Known as Satan's kittens ... of which flew the F8F-2 off the USS Boxer (CV-21) in 1950, and F8F-1 in 1947 ...

So, I just got accused (via PM), of promoting Satanism in this forum, for the above post, on top of being self-Promoting.

I found it quite humorous to say the least. Since I even pointed out the the historical reference to the said squadron and it's history.

Sorry if some do not like clicking on links and reading, just jump to conclusions.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Guzzi View Post
Gotta luv the Grumman Iron Works....

Except for the Tomcat, exactly ZERO of their fighters, ever looked like "fighters"....

Literally, EVERYTHING from WW2 looks "hotter" than a Wildcat.
Except MAYBE the Brewster Buffalo..

P-40, P-51.... SPITFIRE?
All of them "look the part"

But Grumman?

The Hellcat was only a slight improvement in the "looks" department....

And whats with that goofy aspect ratio on the Bearcat Tail?
Too tall and skinny, it just looks WRONG, hell even that fat P-47 was more proportioned, more symmetrical, more "muscular" in appearance....
a bruiser, yeah but it "looks" like a fighter.

Grumman?

Sheesh.

Every God-blessed Grumman Product reminds me of MY OLD MAN....
Not very "sleek" AT ALL

Pedestrian, perpetual middle-aged belly...strong back but no "biceps", tireless legs but no "Six-Pack"....
Built for Loyal Reliability, with zero flash, fashion sense or "coolness" factor...

Gettin the job done, day and night, 24/7/365 just BECAUSE....

Working harder, longer, better and faster than all the pretenders, with no complaints or finicky "maintenance issues"...

In the Dark, over Open Ocean, landing on a two-car driveway....

Effing Grummans....

Never a very hot looking machine, amiright!?...
You think Grumman gave a crap what that plane looked like? form over function. Not only that, Go tell that to the ONE RADIAL ENGINE RACER that's been whooping everything else at Reno. Speaking of witch, Technoid are you considering doing a separate Rarebear EA?
Old 02-19-2018, 12:03 AM

Okay if it's that ugly I won't model it then.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Okay if it's that ugly I won't model it then.
Some called the F-4 Phantom II ugly as well, others find it one sexy looking fighter.

Beauty is only important to those whom admires whatever it is, that attracts them.

Do not hesitate modelling something that you find beauty in. Only person that matters is you, and trust in the fact others will enjoy it just as much ...
Old 02-19-2018, 12:26 AM

DDawg, would sure love to read that PM . Technoid, DON`T pay attention to THE naysayer, Pith on him (did I just speak with my mouth full of crackers ) it`s a great choice to model.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle twist View Post
DDawg, would sure love to read that PM . Technoid, DON`T pay attention to THE naysayer, Pith on him (did I just speak with my mouth full of crackers ) it`s a great choice to model.
It would be even more entertaining to read my reply ... But, as funny as it would be to post, It still wouldn't be right.

But ... I guess He is no longer my friend ...

How dare me to post self promoting, hidden satanic messages for the corruption of young children that may visit this forum ...

I know I can be a bit twisted at times, but promoting satanism is a new one for me ... I guess I have stooped to a new low, in my god fearing life ...

AND YES
... MODEL the F*8*F ... tall tail, short tail, heck make it a hybrid tail ...

Last edited by DDawg; 02-19-2018 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:16 AM

OOPs I guess my tongue-in-cheek snark did not come through as I hoped it would...

To be clear, I Love the Grummans. All of them.

I love their ruggedness, their utilitarian "non-hotness"

The fact they kick ass without looking like Pedigree race horses...

Thats why I said they all looked like My Old Man...

A WW2 vet, unassuming regular guy thats a "real" hero without the "Rambo-ness"

I was trying to be clever and describe thier Superiority in a quirky off-beat way, but I guess it didnt translate well over text

It sounds so much better in your head when youre typing, than it does later on the screen I guess...My Bad.

No insults or disrespect intended...Grummans Rock, apologies for the miss-communications

Last edited by Moto-Guzzi; 02-19-2018 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDawg View Post
It would be even more entertaining to read my reply ... But, as funny as it would be to post, It still wouldn't be right.

But ... I guess He is no longer my friend ...

How dare me to post self promoting, hidden satanic messages for the corruption of young children that may visit this forum ...

I know I can be a bit twisted at times, but promoting satanism is a new one for me ... I guess I have stooped to a new low, in my god fearing life ...

AND YES
... MODEL the F*8*F ... tall tail, short tail, heck make it a hybrid tail ...
Hidden satanic messages LOL, how many of them have we dealt with in our lifetime, HELL (oops , pun intended ), if it`s hidden, you`ve got to find it first. No longer your friend AWWW must be breaking your heart......... Well.... reading your reply, gives me a pretty darn good idea of what he said, not verbatim, but close enough. to bad some of younguns don`t read their history books anymore. OH WAIT, those ARE history.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:27 AM

HA.. Sorry guys just a little humor there it's still on the table.

Actually I had to get used to the tall tail myself which is why I was going to model the F8F-1 at first. But after reading more about the plane and realizing the tall tail was to fix a yaw issue it made more sense. And then there's the fact I always liked the RAREBEAR too. But yeah a hybrid tail like DDawg mentioned might be a good thing. I like both versions and one minute I like the first version the best and the next I like the second version for it's unique looks. So a hybrid tail might work pretty good. But none the less I like the looks of the F8F because of it's smaller size and bulky look, it has a muscular look about it. A don't mess with me look. So no I wasn't really thinking about not modeling it, just being funny.

I haven't thought about doing a separate EA just for the RAREBEAR but I suppose it might happen if I'm not so tired of modeling when I get finished. As much as I like each of my projects by the time I get done I'm really ready to stop. Being honest I model mostly to fly the plane and that's why you see lots of beta's from me because I share what I'm flying as I model the plane.

Last edited by technoid; 02-19-2018 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Guzzi View Post
OOPs I guess my tongue-in-cheek snark did not come through as I hoped it would...

To be clear, I Love the Grummans. All of them.

I love their ruggedness, their utilitarian "non-hotness"

The fact they kick ass without looking like Pedigree race horses...

Thats why I said they all looked like My Old Man...

A WW2 vet, unassuming regular guy thats a "real" hero without the "Rambo-ness"

I was trying to be clever and describe thier Superiority in a quirky off-beat way, but I guess it didnt translate well over text

It sounds so much better in your head when youre typing, than it does later on the screen I guess...My Bad.

No insults or disrespect intended...Grummans Rock, apologies for the miss-communications
OK Motto, apology accepted, yep, text can be misunderstood more often than not, never cared for it much myself, so I try to careful how I word my comments, but, it`s the norm nowadays. Sometimes, it`s hard to read between the lines..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: