Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
i like it as well , it was originally an RC sim so i favor that side of the model builds
Old 07-16-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Here's three shots of my new color scheme I'll be using it for the release.
Looks great Technoid.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:09 PM

Waiting patiently ....

I seemed to lost my alpha channel somehow ... but I never checked it in the last care package you uploaded, before the thread vanished ...

Your CS with Invasion stripes is look'n good ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P-38L.jpg (64.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-17-2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDawg View Post
Waiting patiently ....

I seemed to lost my alpha channel somehow ... but I never checked it in the last care package you uploaded, before the thread vanished ...

Your CS with Invasion stripes is look'n good ...
Thanks I'm glad you like the new CS it fits the P-38 much better than my old one.

When I added the new engine there was a significant change to the map. The big change was the intake on each boom below the cowl became much larger to house the engine so they became engine bays instead of intake openings. So they were too large to stay where they were so I moved them to the same location as the engine parts, so you need a new set of CS files for the new plane. But I haven't uploaded a new beta because of what was said when I decided to delete the build threads. I wasn't planning to start a screen shot thread but several people ask me quite earnestly not to go so I decided to start a screen shot thread to share what I was doing. The mapping changed a 'tiny bit' agin when I created the new CS. There were a few places that needed very minor touch-ups to align the D-Day stripes, but not enough to force a change to the CS mapping files, they were very minor one pixel movements to align an edge better. But if you had something there it would have moved over a 'tiny bit'.

When I decided to delete the build threads I also decided to go a different direction with the plane so I'm taking some time to rethink a few things. So I'm not sure I'm finished with the plane I may still add something, but I won't say what it is yet because I'm not sure I'll do it. BUT.. If I do it it WILL NOT change any of the existing mapping it will be totally new parts added to the map which I doubt would ever change after they were painted the first time.

Ha.. So now the screen shot thread has expanded more than I intended. But I guess that's okay if you guys still want me here.

OPPs.. I almost forgot, your CS looks great.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:01 AM

It's great to see you're still here I'm looking forward to the P-38's release. I really like those engines in there.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks I'm glad you like the new CS it fits the P-38 much better than my old one.

When I added the new engine there was a significant change to the map. The big change was the intake on each boom below the cowl became much larger to house the engine so they became engine bays instead of intake openings. So they were too large to stay where they were so I moved them to the same location as the engine parts, so you need a new set of CS files for the new plane. But I haven't uploaded a new beta because of what was said when I decided to delete the build threads. I wasn't planning to start a screen shot thread but several people ask me quite earnestly not to go so I decided to start a screen shot thread to share what I was doing. The mapping changed a 'tiny bit' agin when I created the new CS. There were a few places that needed very minor touch-ups to align the D-Day stripes, but not enough to force a change to the CS mapping files, they were very minor one pixel movements to align an edge better. But if you had something there it would have moved over a 'tiny bit'.

When I decided to delete the build threads I also decided to go a different direction with the plane so I'm taking some time to rethink a few things. So I'm not sure I'm finished with the plane I may still add something, but I won't say what it is yet because I'm not sure I'll do it. BUT.. If I do it it WILL NOT change any of the existing mapping it will be totally new parts added to the map which I doubt would ever change after they were painted the first time.

Ha.. So now the screen shot thread has expanded more than I intended. But I guess that's okay if you guys still want me here.

OPPs.. I almost forgot, your CS looks great.
Tis' alright - I can wait till my P-38L lottery number is picked ....
You have my email ... <Wink, wink>
"A nod is good as a wink to a blind horse"

Chestnut brown canary
Ruby throated sparrow
Sing a song, don't be long
Thrill me to the marrow

Voices of the angels
Ring around the moonlight
Asking me said she so free
How can you catch the sparrow?
Old 07-17-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDawg View Post
Tis' alright - I can wait till my P-38L lottery number is picked ....
You have my email ... <Wink, wink>
"A nod is good as a wink to a blind horse"

Chestnut brown canary
Ruby throated sparrow
Sing a song, don't be long
Thrill me to the marrow

Voices of the angels
Ring around the moonlight
Asking me said she so free
How can you catch the sparrow?
No problem I'll send you the latest beta with new CS files. But now days I'm waiting for requests after what happened. I want to make sure they're wanted I don't want to impose. But check my next post for why it will be just a bit. Maybe still today but I'm not sure I'm on a break right now.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:44 AM

Well asj5547 made me do it. He ask me recently to take a look at the wheels he painted on the P-38L but I thought he was asking me about a set of custom wheels for it. But he only wanted me to look at the wheels he painted on. I told him custom wheels was in my list of things to do they just got canceled because I couldn't do everything I planned to the landing gear. But I thought I'd go a head and make custom wheels for it. I've been wanting to improve my wheels anyway I reuse them on all my planes, so I thought I'd take sometime and make some wheels for it. Of course like everything I do they're not quite as good as the best ones but much better than they were. Anyway here's a render of them. I know there's was probably something else I could have done, but this will have to do.

I think I'll map them in three sections so they can be tailored if you want. The outer area (the rim), the whole inside area (the wheel), and the walls that connect the outer and inner wheels so you can shade them if you want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P-38L Lightning 38.jpg (60.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-17-2018, 11:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
that is a nice addition technoid looks good , i am just about finished the Honey Bunny CS for it and will most likely upload it same time as you do the EA
Old 07-17-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Well asj5547 made me do it.

I think I'll map them in three sections so they can be tailored if you want. The outer area (the rim), the whole inside area (the wheel), and the walls that connect the outer and inner wheels so you can shade them if you want.
SORRY, I did not mean to make you more work,.... just point out that photoshop can add some wheel spokes for a little more detail and the painted "wheel covers" rotate as model moves. I was happy with my poor interpretation of spokes but now I am blown away with your super detailed wheels.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj5547 View Post
SORRY, I did not mean to make you more work,.... just point out that photoshop can add some wheel spokes for a little more detail and the painted "wheel covers" rotate as model moves. I was happy with my poor interpretation of spokes but now I am blown away with your super detailed wheels.
Like I did with the my Citabria Pro wheels ....https://www.knifeedge.com/forums/att...3&d=1523389167

Last edited by DDawg; 07-17-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj5547 View Post
No.. you inspired me to make the wheels I planned in the beginning. I just dropped doing them when I couldn't make the tires and gear wider. The first bays I cut out was just a tiny bit wider than the wheel and gear so I couldn't do what I wanted to. But I'm glad you mentioned it because the new wheels should really help the look of the plane. So thanks!
Old 07-17-2018, 11:37 PM

I added one more thing to the gear. I added the brace on the nose gear at the top that goes up at about 45 to 50 degree into the wheel well. Because of the way I did the gear in the beginning the added brace isn't quite scale but it does add a bit of extra detail. I don't have a picture to post but I should tomorrow. I don't want to post a picture until it's painted and matches the other part of the gear. I did map all the new parts tonight. That would be all three new custom wheels and the added brace. I just finished that but I'm tired so it will be tomorrow before I work on it again. But the mapping is finished I just have to create the new CS files in 3ds Max and then update the color scheme and spec map files. A simple change always has some extra work at the end if you don't do it all at once. I should have created the new wheels before I did the mapping. But I didn't plan too do them, but asj5547 gave me the nudge I needed to do them. So, thanks!

Ha.. I had the pivot point backwards on the right wheel after I first got them going and was testing them in RF, and the wheel was rotating backwards (cool).
Old 07-18-2018, 09:33 AM

The final release to the swaps will look incredible with all the modifications you are adding, can't wait.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:41 AM

Now I'll have to land it upside down to get a really good look at the wheels.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: