Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
May I make a request to make the leading edge of the airfoil less blunt and more rounded?
I reshaped the airfoil tonight. Here's a render for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lazy Eight Mk III 03.jpg (40.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-30-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
I reshaped the airfoil tonight. Here's a render for you.
Looks much better.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Looks much better.
Thanks!
Old 07-30-2018, 11:48 AM

Sorry guys but I bit off more than I wanted to chew with the changes I talked about making to this plane. I got excited about the upcoming release of the new Nvidia graphics cards and mentioned much more work than I want to do. I knew I would fly this plane a lot in the first version of RF-X to go exploring again but I really don't want to put that much work into the plane just to do that. So I decided to cut down the changes to just a few items, which most are already done. Of course remapping will be the most work and I haven't started that yet I still have one more thing to do. (create the new gear doors on the booms)

1. Reshape Airfoil - finished.
2. Taper front view of wing - finished.
3. Reshape booms to hold main gear - finished.
4. Move booms out 1.5 inches to help gear width - finished.
5. Resize HStab for new boom width - finished.
6. Move VStab out 1.5 inches to match new boom width - finished.
7. Move servos as need for new boom position - finished.
8. Move landing gear to retract into booms - finished.
9. Create new main gear doors on booms - still need to do.
10. Remap parts as needed for changes - still need to do.

And maybe create a new color scheme. Like I said I mentioned much more work than this plane is worth just to fly it around in RF-X. But the changes I'm making will make it a bit nicer plane and that's good enough for what I want to do with it. I always wished I had made the wings tapered from the front view but they already had the gear cut into them and if I did that I'd have to rework the gear. But this time I decided to put the gear in the booms so I removed the cutouts in the wing for the gear and moved the gear to the booms. Which is a nice little change.

So sorry about the grandiose thoughts I had at first.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:41 PM

Whatever is fine technoid. The main thing is you are having fun. I was gonna kid you about reversing the booms and making it a canard but now I won't
Old 07-30-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
Whatever is fine technoid. The main thing is you are having fun. I was gonna kid you about reversing the booms and making it a canard but now I won't
These days I haven't been able to get myself to start a new plane so I find things I'd like to do to one of my older planes. But I decided all the work I said I'd do to this plane would go a long ways on a new plane, so I just couldn't do it. I just finished creating the gear doors on the booms but now I need to cutout the wing where the wheel wells sticks in it. Right now the wheel well and gear doors are finished on the booms but they stick into the wings, so I need to make cutouts for that before I start mapping. So not much to do before I can start mapping.

I will say I took another look at the Inverted V-tail but I'm not quite sure I like it. But it is different and that in itself is a reason to try it. So who knows, only time will tell.

Last edited by technoid; 07-30-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:41 AM

I created wheel wells and gear doors for the main gear in the booms tonight and then started playing around with making Lazy Eight a single seat. In the beginning the idea was for a couple to fly around sight seeing but that gives an odd view for the pilot seat. By that I mean the dashboard is wider than the view so it looks odd. And of course there's only three gauges so that doesn't help either. I've wanted to make Lazy Eight a single seat for a long time so I think now's the time. When I get my new graphics card I want to explore the desert and mountains in RF-X again and want the best view for it. So this plane is turning out more like a powered glider because I plan on adding some wingspan too. So it will look sort of like some of the RC gliders I've seen, a long narrow fuselage with twin booms and wide wings.

Got a question for the Inverted V-tail guys, does using it change how to plane files very much? I don't want to put the effort into it and not like the way the plane flies. So let me know what to expect I haven't flown a plane with it. Is there any on the swap pages?
Old 07-31-2018, 09:38 AM

This is the closest I can find but the V Tail is not inverted:

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=10866
Old 07-31-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
This is the closest I can find but the V Tail is not inverted:

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=10866
Thanks I downloaded it and tried it out. It flew okay but I think the rudder authority was a little lacking. But I suppose that's just tweaks to the travel.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:22 PM

I reduced the fuselage width by 15% and completely reworked the cockpit layout. It's a single seat now, the dashboard height has been lowed, the steering wheel has been reworked making it smaller and I rounded out the hand grips. Once I remap it the handles will be a different color too. So lots of changes to the cockpit. I like it much better now. I also increased the wingspan from 120 to 130 inches. Here's a render for you. I'm not finished yet but I'm nearly there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lazy Eight Mk III 04.jpg (227.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-31-2018, 02:54 PM

I can't wait to give it a test flight
Old 07-31-2018, 06:36 PM

I like the cockpit view, I think single seat layout is the way to go!
Old 07-31-2018, 08:40 PM

Thanks guys I'm glad you like the new cockpit view.

Does anyone remember the angle stripe problem on the F8F where the stripes painted on the plane were broken up with some going the right way and others going the wrong way. I had the same problem on another plane too but I can't remember which one right now. But after I started working on this plane it developed the same problem on the wings and vstabs, so I had to use the same trick I used before to fix it. That is exporting the wings and vstabs as an OBJ file and then deleteing them and importing the OBJ to get them back. But that removes the mapping so you have to map the parts again. Anyway I just finished remapping the wings after I did that trick on this plane and the stripes are correct now. Here pictures of what it looks like before and after I fixed it. The wings look totally normal now so I need to remap the vstabs and I'll be back where I was again. I sure wish I knew what caused this to happen.

Part of the changes I made was increasing the wingspan from 120 to 130 inches which is just 5 inches on each side but the wings definitely look wider. Like I said it's starting to look more like a powered glider. But I want it to be as docile as possible to explore with so I guess that's okay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lazy Eight Mk III 05.jpg (163.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Lazy Eight Mk III 06.jpg (97.4 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by technoid; 07-31-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:43 PM

Thumbs up

Nice work technoid.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:50 PM

I'll definitely be making an electric variant again if you don't. I love the quiet of that. Looks super !

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: