Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
I'll definitely be making an electric variant again if you don't. I love the quiet of that. Looks super !
Would you mind sending me your latest EP for the Lazy Eight I want to try it out. I've been planning to look into an EP version for the quiet like you say. And in RF-X you can select an option so you never run out of fuel or power so I can still explore with and EP version. I know it's not real life but I want to fly around and explore.

Oh. Are you flying the Lazy Eight Mk II? You probably know it but you can use the flap knob to tilt the camera down so you can see the terrain better.

Last edited by technoid; 07-31-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Thanks guys I'm glad you like the new cockpit view.

Does anyone remember the angle stripe problem on the F8F where the stripes painted on the plane were broken up with some going the right way and others going the wrong way. I had the same problem on another plane too but I can't remember which one right now. But after I started working on this plane it developed the same problem on the wings and vstabs, so I had to use the same trick I used before to fix it. That is exporting the wings and vstabs as an OBJ file and then deleteing them and importing the OBJ to get them back. But that removes the mapping so you have to map the parts again. Anyway I just finished remapping the wings after I did that trick on this plane and the stripes are correct now. Here pictures of what it looks like before and after I fixed it. The wings look totally normal now so I need to remap the vstabs and I'll be back where I was again. I sure wish I knew what caused this to happen.

Part of the changes I made was increasing the wingspan from 120 to 130 inches which is just 5 inches on each side but the wings definitely look wider. Like I said it's starting to look more like a powered glider. But I want it to be as docile as possible to explore with so I guess that's okay.
A glider (even powered ones) needs a semi symetrical airfoil not fully symmetrical
Old 08-01-2018, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
A glider (even powered ones) needs a semi symetrical airfoil not fully symmetrical
If you want to pick what you think would be best for this plane and tell me what differences I should expect to see when I try it out I'll see if I can tell the difference. The differences always seem so small I don't really notice them. Saying it's not a radical change just a semi-symmetrical that's better suited for the plane.

To test your airfoil without having this plane just add 10 inches to the wingspan of the Lazy Eight Mk II and you'll mostly be there.

Tell me do you have any idea what's causing the texture to breakup the way they are? I thought the wings were fixed and they mostly are but the right bottom wing still has one bad area that looks like it always does with this problem. The texture is going the wrong way on a single polygon going across the bottom of the wing. I need to check the vertexes to see if any are more than one and weld them. I don't know if that might fix it but I found a few and fixed them before I mapped the plane.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:21 AM

I did some mapping tonight enough to make the plane look decent again. I took some time and remapped the steering wheel after I reworked it trying to make it look better. It seemed to work I think it looks better. The gauges aren't quite round because I haven't remapped the area they'er painted on after I resized it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lazy Eight Mk III 07.jpg (227.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-02-2018, 03:23 PM

A powered glider
Attached Files
File Type: rfx Lazy Eight Mk II powered glider_AV.RFX (50.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-02-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
A powered glider
Thanks I'll give it a try.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:07 PM

Yak 110 anyone

Dumb Idea here

I could live with out the turbine noise though
Old 08-02-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Dumb Idea here

Ha.. yeah a really dumb idea there.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
1. Reshape Airfoil - finished.
2. Taper front view of wing - finished.
3. Reshape booms to hold main gear - finished.
4. Move booms out 1.5 inches to help gear width - finished.
5. Resize HStab for new boom width - finished.
6. Move VStab out 1.5 inches to match new boom width - finished.
7. Move servos as need for new boom position - finished.
8. Move landing gear to retract into booms - finished.
9. Create new main gear doors on booms - still need to do.
10. Remap parts as needed for changes - still need to do.
Plus extend wing span and make into single seat version, you have put a lot of work into this model and I am looking forward to flying the Lazy Eight MK111.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj5547 View Post
Plus extend wing span and make into single seat version, you have put a lot of work into this model and I am looking forward to flying the Lazy Eight MK111.
Opps.. Yeah I forgot those. I definitely like the single seat cockpit better it just looked strange with the dashboard frame going out of view. Now it's completely in the view which looks a lot better to me.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Dumb Idea here

My MKIII is gonna go Whirrrrrrrrrrr
Old 08-03-2018, 02:42 PM

I remapped the modified parts except the fuselage which I forgot to do. But it only changed in width so for now I'm going to let it go, but I need to remap it before I release the plane. Also I haven't fixed the crossover stripes from top to bottom of parts I'm waiting till I decide if I want to do a different color scheme for it. But other than that the plane looks pretty good and fly's pretty well. I added a movable weight in the physics to adjust the CG when the gear is up or down to keep it the same. The gear retracing backwards changes the CG quite a bit. I know that's not really necessary but I want this plane to fly the same with the gear up or down (an explorer) just because I want it to work that way. Not real life but this whole plane is just a simulator thing so there's several things that's not real life. But it gives me a very slow flying explorer with an unlimited view of the terrain I'm flying over. And the pilot camera even tilts down for a better view. So the plane does what I want it to and I admit it's only a simulator plane and wouldn't be the same in real life. (for instance it's too light) Legoman made an AV of the Mk II so I could play with a different airfoil which I ended up adding to the Mk III. So thanks legoman that's a nice addition.

Two more important changes. And this could change if I find something better but this seems to add a nice touch and I'd like some feedback on it. I created a custom engine curve that tops out at 5,800 rpm and also added a custom engine sound to give it a real life sound. SO.. a totally sim plane but real life sound and power. Anyway please try it for a while before you change anything so you can give me some feedback. I don't care if the feedback is positive or negative I'd just like to know what you think of the plane and the engine sound and power.

Beyond all that I reduced the control throws to tone down the flight physics some so here's the latest beta if you want to play with it. If you download it please add a simple grabbed it post so I'll know who's playing with it.

Top Speed - Around 85 mph
Gear Down - Chanel 8 3 position switch towards you
Gear Up - Channel 8 3 position switch in the middle
Smoke On - Channel 8 3 Position switch away from you
Pilot Seat Camera - F4
Pilot Seat Camera Adjust - Channel 6 flap knob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lazy Eight Mk III 08.jpg (295.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Lazy Eight Mk III 09.jpg (282.1 KB, 4 views)
Attached Files
File Type: rfx Lazy Eight Mk III_EA.RFX (2.05 MB, 9 views)

Last edited by technoid; 08-03-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:06 PM

Thanks Technoid, now I am off exploring with the Lazy Eight Mk lll
Old 08-03-2018, 04:16 PM

Here's an electric version I'm working on. Note: Retract has been moved to Ch. 7 switch.
Attached Files
File Type: rfx Lazy Eight Mk III Electric_AV.RFX (48.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-03-2018, 09:18 PM

Technoid the Lazy Eight Mk.lll fly's great, on low rates the throws are appropriate for cruising and exploring, then flip to high rates and the model performs real nice.
I like the engine sound (sounds better onboard F4-F7 keys rather than fixed position flying) and the power level is about right.
I like the tilt camera as you had it, channel 5 tilt down view, but of course I had to experiment, so I switched the tilt camera to Z axis -160 80 160, just so I could pan the side to side view.

Tilt camera flight.

https://youtu.be/4XgetZJHDZI

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: