Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:49 PM

Stagger

I thought I'd give Stagger another try. I took it down because of a comment but Uncle Twist reminded me I always ask for everyone’s comments, good or bad so if I get one that I don't like it was my fault for asking for it. So I apologize to everyone for being on edge recently. So please drop by and help me with this build. The only reason I can give for my sensitivity is watching my wife's health deteriorate and seeing her become more fragile and dealing with her dementia as it gets worse. That takes a heavy toll on you and it's easy to become bitter at life. But I need to be strong for her and overcome that. I'm sorry to be so personal but I'm a pretty open guy as I'm sure you know by now. But I'll shut up and give an update on the build.

At first I was thinking Stagger was a 3D plane because of the large control surfaces but I guess it's more of a Fun Fly plane. Just a Sport plane that's fun to take up and flop around the sky. And that's where the name came from. Watching a drunk stagger as they walk is a bit like watching someone flop around the sky.

The most recent changes to the plane is I made the nose one inch longer, from the tip of the fuselage to the leading edge of the wing. I also had to go back and resize the servos because I forgot and resized them when I up scaled the plane to a 100 inch wingspan. Duh.. the servos don't get larger if you build a larger plane. Anyway here's two shots of the plane to kick off the build thread again. All the bones will be textured in the end with balsa grain and they'll be two versions EP and GP. I'm not sure if it will be Gas or Glow powered but I've already modeled several of each so I'll pick one of them later. But gas seems to be the most popular these days because of glow fuel prices.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stagger 05.jpg (56.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Stagger 06.jpg (129.5 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by technoid; 08-24-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
another nice looking fun plane to have in RF technoid
Old 08-24-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
.. I've already modeled several of each so I'll pick one of them lager.
The alcohol in the stagger is already getting to you.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
The alcohol in the stagger is already getting to you.
HA.. Thanks I just fixed it.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:05 PM

The size of those control surfaces, this model should really perform.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stagger 06.jpg (129.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-24-2018, 07:38 PM

Kudos to you Tech. for the first post, It takes some kahunas to say what you said, I like too think that we`re all a big family here in the designers forum, and sometimes, I have too say things in ways I don`t normally like, so I apologize for that, BUT, my pure intention was too get you too not give up, SO,....VERY happy too see you back. The plane is looking FANTASTIC !!!!!
Old 08-24-2018, 08:13 PM

It's something that I would fly in real world flying so I'm looking forward to it. It looks like it's just some long servo throws away from a 3d plane...
Old 08-24-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle twist View Post
Kudos to you Tech. for the first post, It takes some kahunas to say what you said, I like too think that we`re all a big family here in the designers forum, and sometimes, I have too say things in ways I don`t normally like, so I apologize for that, BUT, my pure intention was too get you too not give up, SO,....VERY happy too see you back. The plane is looking FANTASTIC !!!!!
Yeah it's definitely hard to step up to the plate and admit you screwed up and say you're sorry but after mulling your post around, and one you made in a different thread a while back, I had to look at me. And I decided that wasn't the me I wanted to be. So thanks for your posts and I'm sure happy to see you in the build thread.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
It's something that I would fly in real world flying so I'm looking forward to it. It looks like it's just some long servo throws away from a 3d plane...
Thanks I'm glad you like it. If you look at it you'll see I borrowed the wings and stabilizers from the Modeltech Magic I created for you. Then I grabbed the fuselage from the Limbo Dacer and completely reworked it. So yeah in the end it should be a lot of fun to fly.

Got a question for you. Are you planning to upgrade to one of the new NVIDIA RTX graphics cards? I want to see some reviews of them once they release test cards to the hardware sites and see how they do with standard games without ray tracing, but I'm planning to get one at this point. I just want to make sure they have the performance with standard games, and of course RF-X is why I'm upgrading.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah it's definitely hard to step up to the plate and admit you screwed up and say you're sorry but after mulling your post around, and one you made in a different thread a while back, I had to look at me. And I decided that wasn't the me I wanted to be. So thanks for your posts and I'm sure happy to see you in the build thread.
Well, I`m glad that you didn`t take my posts in the wrong way (in the end), and I`m glad they helped you come back, I and others, truly would have hated to see you leave, I always raised my sons with a tough love kind of attitude, and maybe that was my knee jerk reaction too you. Anyway, glad to help when I can, AND offer my opinion, I won`t be hurt if you disagree with my opinion, after all, that`s all it is. It takes a village to raise a child, or in the case of RF builders forum "build a plane" We`re all glad that you ask for opinions, we all feel involved that way, and it makes the build thread more fun. SO,.... get on with it Tech., let`s see what you`ve got up your sleeve.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:47 AM

Saturplay again but can't go out and fly. Huge storms all morning if not all day.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks I'm glad you like it. If you look at it you'll see I borrowed the wings and stabilizers from the Modeltech Magic I created for you. Then I grabbed the fuselage from the Limbo Dacer and completely reworked it. So yeah in the end it should be a lot of fun to fly.

Got a question for you. Are you planning to upgrade to one of the new NVIDIA RTX graphics cards? I want to see some reviews of them once they release test cards to the hardware sites and see how they do with standard games without ray tracing, but I'm planning to get one at this point. I just want to make sure they have the performance with standard games, and of course RF-X is why I'm upgrading.
It has a familiar look to it for sure, which is why I like it.

I'm familiar with the new video cards coming out in the next few weeks, I haven made up my mind on if I want to spend the money on the Ti version or not. I know RF8 won't gain anymore useful performance, and RF-X probably would be a little bit better but for me it's just fine now. When more games are released with the new Ray Tracing tech and the Deep learning super-sampling capabilities I may make the jump. Right now only one game has this capability that interests me, Mechwarrior 5. If I do make the jump I might just jump all in with a new build all together, new I7 or even a i9 CPU mobo and ram.....
Old 08-25-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
It has a familiar look to it for sure, which is why I like it.

I'm familiar with the new video cards coming out in the next few weeks, I haven made up my mind on if I want to spend the money on the Ti version or not. I know RF8 won't gain anymore useful performance, and RF-X probably would be a little bit better but for me it's just fine now. When more games are released with the new Ray Tracing tech and the Deep learning super-sampling capabilities I may make the jump. Right now only one game has this capability that interests me, Mechwarrior 5. If I do make the jump I might just jump all in with a new build all together, new I7 or even a i9 CPU mobo and ram.....
Thanks for the info. The more I find out about the new RFX cards the less I'm interested in them. It's one of those first generation things that isn't really what you need for the new features you're implementing. I've read several reports that the games they did ray tracing on was running 1080p and wasn't able to keep a steady 60 fps. So if that's true RTX is a generation or two away from being what it should be. But you always go through this type of thing when you have a shift to a new rendering style. Since I posted last I've done a lot of reading about the new cards and have kinda went back to getting a faster card so I can run RF-X the way I want. I don't play any new games so the only thing I want to do is get RF-X to run my monitors native resolution (1920x1200) at higher frame rates. Right now I run RF-X at 1680x1050 to keep the frame rates where I want them. So dumb ole me would probably be okay if I had a 1080 instead of a 1070. You sure pay for those dumb mistakes.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:53 PM

I made some changes to Stagger this morning. I added cheeks to the front of the fuselage to semi enclose the engine and give it a better looking profile. I also added 1 inch to the tail (from the trailing edge of the wing to the end of the fuselage). The wing looked a bit too thick so I reduced the thickness by 20%.

So now it's time to decide what engine to use on the GP version. And I'd like some opinions on that because I like any of them. So I'll upload a picture showing four of the engines I've modeled so you can pick the one you like best.

The last thing is this plane has what I've been calling the angle stripe problem, because it first came up on the F8F when I put some angled stripes on the tail. But what it really seems to be is intermittent places on the parts where the texture direction flips back and forth from horizontal to vertical. I'll put a picture so you can see it. I wish I could find out what causes it and be able to fix it without resorting to the brute force fix I've been using, which is exporting the affected parts as an OBJ file and then deleting them and importing the OBJ file versions to replace them. So far that's always fixed the problem but that removes the mapping so I have to remap them. BUT.. that's what I'm about to do so I can get it fixed and map the plane.

So if you will let me know which one of the engines you prefer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stagger 07.jpg (82.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Stagger 08.jpg (129.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Engines.jpg (113.0 KB, 71 views)
Old 08-26-2018, 02:15 PM

A few more comments about the new NVIDIA graphics cards I'm following. I'll sure be glad when they release the review cards but going by what's out right now, which is the slides released by NVIDIA they seem to be right at 50% faster than the previous card. Which means the 2080 will be a bit faster than the 1080 ti which was about 30% faster than the 1080. So looking at the current pricing, which is a real bargain on the 10 series cards, it looks like you'll break fairly even going with a 2080. It's about 100 dollars more than the current pricing of the 1080 ti but if the slides hold up true is about 20% faster than the 1080 ti. So I really want to see some real numbers on the 2080. To me NVIDIA should have released the review cards at the same time they announced the RTX cards. I know the final drivers aren't finished but the changes will probably be fairly small.

So I suppose if the 2080 is 50% faster, that being 20% faster than the 1080 ti, then it will be worth the money. But if you want to use it for ray tracing it's too slow. Because the 2080 ti is said to be getting 40s to 60s at 1080p. So to me ray tracing just isn't there yet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: