Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 08-28-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Well I finally did it I just finished upgrading to Windows 10 Pro. I haven't tried running RF-8 or RF-X yet but I will soon, right now I've got some errands to run. So one step out of the stone age for me I guess.
Let us know how that goes. The thing I hate is on some of my older computers the seemingly constant updates can take anywhere from 5 minutes to over an hour to complete. Nothing like wanting to use it and sitting there waiting because you thought a restart would be a good idea.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:03 PM

I upgraded my existing Windows 7 Pro x64 to Windows 10 Pro x64 so it's not an completely new install. I went back and uninstalled the audio and video drivers and then downloaded and installed the latest Windows 10 drivers for them and everything seems to be working now, at first I didn't have any audio. I had to reinstall RF-8 of course but it just started the install and immediately came back and said it was finished. Really the only thing it needed to up was add the information to the windows registry I guess. Anyway RF-8 is fine but I'm going to need to install RF-X again too. I need to find that area where Ryan talked about how to reinstall RF-X without having to download the 1.5 update again before I try to reinstall RF-X though. So if you know where it is let me know. I'm heading in two watch a movie with the wife right now I'll check back later after the movie is over and see if anyone posted on this.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I upgraded my existing Windows 7 Pro x64 to Windows 10 Pro x64 so it's not an completely new install. I went back and uninstalled the audio and video drivers and then downloaded and installed the latest Windows 10 drivers for them and everything seems to be working now, at first I didn't have any audio. I had to reinstall RF-8 of course but it just started the install and immediately came back and said it was finished. Really the only thing it needed to up was add the information to the windows registry I guess. Anyway RF-8 is fine but I'm going to need to install RF-X again too. I need to find that area where Ryan talked about how to reinstall RF-X without having to download the 1.5 update again before I try to reinstall RF-X though. So if you know where it is let me know. I'm heading in two watch a movie with the wife right now I'll check back later after the movie is over and see if anyone posted on this.
This might be what you are thinking of:

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...97&postcount=4
Old 08-29-2018, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
This might be what you are thinking of:

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...97&postcount=4
Thanks. Yes that's the one I was thinking of. I was just about to reinstall RF-X when I just tried it to be sure it wouldn't work after doing the Windows 10 upgrade but it started up and worked fine. But I still wanted to know where that was because I may end up formatting the drive I install Windows on and doing a complete install instead of using the upgrade I just did. So that will come in handy for sure, thanks again for finding that for me.

I will say I prefer the Windows 7 interface over Windows 10. To me Windows 10 looks way to mobile for a home computer. I like an interface that looks more like a computer than a cell phone. But Windows 7 is so old I just had to move to Windows 10. But, ugh.. I liked Windows 7 much better.

I was hoping RF-X would be faster after installing Windows 10 but I just did a FRAPS benchmark and it's exactly the same as before. But the difference between asj5547's system and mine just doesn't jive for a simple 1070 vs 1080 numbers. I mean his numbers are more than double of mine. Me AVG 64 Him AVG 134. When you read reviews of the 1070 vs the 1080 you see something like 20 fps difference not double. So I don't know what's going on with my system. Maybe his 8700k is really helping with the extra cores, but again reading reviews doesn't show that much difference. Maybe my systems just a dud. I sure wish I knew what the difference is between them.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:58 AM

So I thought what would CPU overclock do for fps.
The first benchmark is CPU not overclocked and GPU at lowest clock speed (1733mhz)

Second is CPU not overclocked but GPU OC'd to 1798 MHz

Third is CPU overclocked to 4.6 ghz but the GPU at lowest 1733 MHz

Forth is CPU OC'd to 4.6 ghz and the GPU OC'd to 1798mhz.
Attached Files
File Type: txt FRAPSLOG.TXT (412 Bytes, 3 views)
Old 08-29-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj5547 View Post
So I thought what would CPU overclock do for fps.
The first benchmark is CPU not overclocked and GPU at lowest clock speed (1733mhz)

Second is CPU not overclocked but GPU OC'd to 1798 MHz

Third is CPU overclocked to 4.6 ghz but the GPU at lowest 1733 MHz

Forth is CPU OC'd to 4.6 ghz and the GPU OC'd to 1798mhz.
Well the last one clearly shows overclocking works.

Got a question. I host some movies on my computer and we watch them with a Blu-ray player in my wife's bedroom, but ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 I can't get a share folder to show up on the Blu-ray player. The computer name shows up but the folder doesn't show up under it. I've done all the normal things I do to share and did a Google search and did them but no luck so far.. Any Ideas?
Old 08-29-2018, 10:14 AM

Are you sure it's shared without a password or login ? Win 10 has this nasty habit of always wanting to know who you are with a MS account. I had the same thing and gave up as it would always say the folder is empty even if it could see the computer and folder.

I've had the same issues with Win 10 on some android devices and eventually gave up and used VLC and smb to see and play the shared content.
Another option is actually using the Shared Media folder which is a PIA.

All the TV's I just put an old PC on running Windows 10. That also solved the sharing issues.

So if you figure something out please let me know !!

P.S. The tv with Amazon FireStick sees things fine for some reason.

Last edited by BrokeDad; 08-29-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:30 PM
Administrator

technoid, if you end up actually formatting and reinstalling Windows, that post above hints at what you need to do but won't get you all the way there.

Before the format, back up your <Installdir>\OnlineCache directory. It'll be pretty big.

After you've reinstalled RF-X, simply put that OnlineCache directory back in the same spot in the new installation before doing any online updates of any kind. Then do the normal steps to get the 1.5 beta. You'll still have to enter the public beta code and do an online update, but it won't have to download anything and will be relatively quick.

Good luck!
Old 08-29-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Douglas View Post
technoid, if you end up actually formatting and reinstalling Windows, that post above hints at what you need to do but won't get you all the way there.

Before the format, back up your <Installdir>\OnlineCache directory. It'll be pretty big.

After you've reinstalled RF-X, simply put that OnlineCache directory back in the same spot in the new installation before doing any online updates of any kind. Then do the normal steps to get the 1.5 beta. You'll still have to enter the public beta code and do an online update, but it won't have to download anything and will be relatively quick.

Good luck!
RYAN: Thanks I really appreciate you dropping in and helping out. That info will save a lot of time and trouble. I have a question for you. Is there any plans to release a version of the RF-X 1.5 beta that has all the shaders pre-compiled? That would sure speed up the startup process. And I would be happy to pay for an upgrade DVD to get it as I'm sure others would too. The RF-X 1.5 beta is you guys BEST work and it sure would be great to get another area add-on too, again I'd be happy to pay for the add-on. Oh. And does a 6 Core Processor (7800K) speed up RF-X more than a 4 Core Processor? I'm considering upgrading to the 7800K or the 8086K. Thanks for any guidance you can offer in this.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:00 PM

I brought a new tv a few days ago, our old 1080p finally quit.
So I wondered what the fps on 4K would be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RF-X 4k TV.jpg (238.6 KB, 10 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt FRAPSLOG.TXT (304 Bytes, 7 views)
Old 08-29-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Got a question. I host some movies on my computer and we watch them with a Blu-ray player in my wife's bedroom, but ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 I can't get a share folder to show up on the Blu-ray player. The computer name shows up but the folder doesn't show up under it. I've done all the normal things I do to share and did a Google search and did them but no luck so far.. Any Ideas?
Have you tried this
Attached Images
File Type: png media share.PNG (30.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-30-2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Have you tried this
Thanks. No I haven't tried that yet I'll try it tomorrow and let you know if it works, right now I'm done for the day. But I do have a short update for my next post.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:29 AM

I worked on Stagger quite a bit today. I added one more rib to the wing on the inside next to the plane. I had a pretty wide area there but I moved it in towards the fuselage a fair amount so I could have one more rib showing. I also added a rib between the two ribs on the inside next to the fuselage like you see sometimes where they have support for the wing servos. I also added a rib cage in the vertical stabilizer before only the rudder had a rib cage the vertical stabilizer was solid balsa. But most planes I looked at that show the bones have bones in the stabilizer and rudder. So I added a little more detail. I don't know if I've said this before but I also added the wheels from the P-38L on Stagger so the wheels look nice now, before they were the solid wheels I always used. I have two different versions of wheels now, the ones I made for the P-38L that doesn't have the deep dish and rim detail and the ones I made for Lazy Eight Mk III with the extra detail on them. But Stagger is a really simple plane so I used the wheels with less detail on it, they look nearly the same and if you don't look close you can't tell the difference between them. Oh. I also went back and aligned the plane on the Grid it got off when I resized the plane to a 100 inch wingspan. So now it's ready to start working on the physics and adjust the part sizes to match the plane. I'm always backwards in that area because I want to fly the plane while I build it so I generally have decent physics before I map the plane. So things are moving along on Stagger. But a bit slower since I'm working on other stuff too.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:32 AM

Can't wait to go "Staggering", I know this model is going to fly great. The details you are adding sounds good, yes the tail fin did look odd being solid balsa but now will match the rest of the model, this is the way I remember making models at an early age, ribs and spars covered with silk and doped to tighten the silk, then flip the prop on the PAW 29 Diesel and get airborne.

Last edited by asj5547; 08-30-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Can't wait to go "Staggering", I know this model is going to fly great. The details you are adding sounds good, yes the tail fin did look odd being solid balsa but now will match the rest of the model, this is the way I remember making models at an early age, ribs and spars covered with silk and doped to tighten the silk, then flip the prop on the PAW 29 Diesel and get airborne.
Yep I've used silk and silkspan I think they called it, a paper instead of silk. And the smell of dope always filled the house. Boy those were the days.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: