Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:35 AM

The only problem with Media Streaming is then you have to use a specific folder to share everything. You can't share a whole drive or directory. I don't have media streaming turned on but I can share and stream whole drives/directories between Win 10 computers off my server. You just need to enter proper credentials as I like them needing an account to share. It's just certain other devices (mostly Android) that have a problem.

Using a pubic shared folder and VLC with smb protocol has worked on most Android based things but it's a PIA. There were none of these problems with Win 7.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:39 AM

I've been working on Stagger this morning tweaking lots of stuff. I split the center section sheeting on the wings so the right and left wings have their own sheeting. Before I had the sheeting going all the way across both wings but the top and bottom sheeting was attached one to the top wing and one to the bottom wing. But when the plane crashed and the wings broke off you could see a long sheet sticking out of each wing. So I made it like it should be separate sheeting for each wing. Which is more work and more mapping but worth it in how the plane looks when it crashes. I also made the cheeks just a little bit thicker too, they looked a bit too narrow to me. Here's a picture showing the engine and the cheek width. Oh. I've also cut a frame into the canopy so a bit more detail there too. I think I'm getting close to being ready for mapping I just have to test fly it for a while and see if I need to change anything.

QUESTION: I'm wondering if just the EP version of Stagger is enough? I thought I'd want a GP version too but I think for me the EP version is enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stagger 10.jpg (71.3 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by technoid; 08-30-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj5547 View Post
I brought a new tv a few days ago, our old 1080p finally quit.
So I wondered what the fps on 4K would be.
I've read a few reviews of the GTX 1080 running at 4k but the numbers in all of them were fairly low, here's a link to one I just looked up but others say the same thing. The GTX 1080 usually gets some fairly low frame rates at 4k so you might want to take a look and see if there's something going on with RF-X where it really isn't rendering what the Video Settings says it is. I saw the settings in the picture you posted but if you read the review I'll put a link to the numbers are pretty low 29 to 66.

I'm going to look through the RF-X console and see if it says somewhere what it's actually rendering because frame rates in the 130s for a 1080 running at 4k doesn't sound right. So take a look around and see if you can find anything and I'll let you know if I do.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...enchmarks-7001
Old 08-30-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj5547 View Post
I brought a new tv a few days ago, our old 1080p finally quit.
So I wondered what the fps on 4K would be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
I've read a few reviews of the GTX 1080 running at 4k but the numbers in all of them were fairly low, here's a link to one I just looked up but others say the same thing. The GTX 1080 usually gets some fairly low frame rates at 4k so you might want to take a look and see if there's something going on with RF-X where it really isn't rendering what the Video Settings says it is. I saw the settings in the picture you posted but if you read the review I'll put a link to the numbers are pretty low 29 to 66.

I'm going to look through the RF-X console and see if it says somewhere what it's actually rendering because frame rates in the 130s for a 1080 running at 4k doesn't sound right. So take a look around and see if you can find anything and I'll let you know if I do.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...enchmarks-7001
For some reason I though 4k 120 hz required multiple HDMI cables so maybe its not driving the tv at 4k
Old 08-30-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
QUESTION: I'm wondering if just the EP version of Stagger is enough? I thought I'd want a GP version too but I think for me the EP version is enough.
Whatever you want to go with is fine. It's easy enough to turn an electric into a gasser or nitro. I've done it with helis. You just don't have the matching visuals. Helis are a bit more complicated as you have the OWB and clutch to set up.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
Whatever you want to go with is fine. It's easy enough to turn an electric into a gasser or nitro. I've done it with helis. You just don't have the matching visuals. Helis are a bit more complicated as you have the OWB and clutch to set up.
Thanks!
Old 08-30-2018, 12:01 PM

asj5547

Try saving a few second of a FRAPS movie with the 'full size' setting in FRAPS selected and see what the resolution of the AVI is. FRAPS seems to be pretty good at saving whatever resolution directx is running at.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Is there any plans to release a version of the RF-X 1.5 beta that has all the shaders pre-compiled? That would sure speed up the startup process.
We would love to precompile the shaders for RF-X. We were able to do that for Acro FS where it was a big help. There are a couple hurdles, however.
  1. Unigine version. We took a stab at this previously with RF-X, but it doesn't work properly in the version of Unigine on which RF-X is currently built. (Acro uses a more recent version.)
  2. Number of graphics settings. The shaders must be precompiled for each possible combination of user-modifiable graphics settings in order to be effective. RF-X has a higher number of such settings, which makes for a significantly greater number of permutations. This is problematic in RF-X for reasons of both disk space and effort to generate them all.
That's not to say it'll never happen, but it does mean it's not as simple as saying, "We know that would help, so let's do it."

Quote:
And does a 6 Core Processor (7800K) speed up RF-X more than a 4 Core Processor? I'm considering upgrading to the 7800K or the 8086K. Thanks for any guidance you can offer in this.
As you know, GPU is the most significant factor by far--assuming your CPU is decent, at least. When it comes to CPU, we can't say for sure whether a couple extra cores would help, but most likely it would have very little impact or none at all. Most of the multithreading is turned off to improve execution smoothness. CPU clock speed is much more important. That said, we wouldn't go below 4 cores.

Thanks for your other thoughts and the kind words about the 1.5 beta. We agree it is a very nice improvement to the existing software!
Old 08-30-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Douglas View Post
We would love to precompile the shaders for RF-X. We were able to do that for Acro FS where it was a big help. There are a couple hurdles, however.
  1. Unigine version. We took a stab at this previously with RF-X, but it doesn't work properly in the version of Unigine on which RF-X is currently built. (Acro uses a more recent version.)
  2. Number of graphics settings. The shaders must be precompiled for each possible combination of user-modifiable graphics settings in order to be effective. RF-X has a higher number of such settings, which makes for a significantly greater number of permutations. This is problematic in RF-X for reasons of both disk space and effort to generate them all.
That's not to say it'll never happen, but it does mean it's not as simple as saying, "We know that would help, so let's do it."

As you know, GPU is the most significant factor by far--assuming your CPU is decent, at least. When it comes to CPU, we can't say for sure whether a couple extra cores would help, but most likely it would have very little impact or none at all. Most of the multithreading is turned off to improve execution smoothness. CPU clock speed is much more important. That said, we wouldn't go below 4 cores.

Thanks for your other thoughts and the kind words about the 1.5 beta. We agree it is a very nice improvement to the existing software!
RYAN:

OPPs.. I didn't think about having to pre-compile the shaders for every graphics combination, so yeah quite the project and lots of storage space. That's too bad I really love Wright Island and fly it a lot and the startup time is a killer. But I sure understand the problem thanks for the information.

As for the processor question I forgot to say what I have now which is a i7 6700K with 32 GIG of RAM running on a NVMe 512 GIG SSD. Presently I have a GTX 1070 but I'm in the process of deciding what to upgrade too, a 1080 or 1080 ti or the new RTX 2080 they're about to release. But thanks for the info about the processor cores probably not helping in RF-X. I actually thought that would be the answer because I remembered you guys talking about getting rid of that type of stuff to smooth out RF-X.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Bill Stuntz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Douglas View Post
What about saving the compiled shaders on the user's PC the first time RF-X is run with a particular set of graphics settings? 1st run after changing settings would be slow, but subsequent runs with the same settings should be much faster.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:53 PM

I'm still flying around and tweaking stuff on Stagger. Today I reworked the rib cage in the vertical stabilizer and tweaked the top down view of the fuselage a little. I also tweaked the canopy just a bit too. I also fixed a bad place on one of the bones in the left aileron rib cage and added two more screws on the landing gear that fastens them to the bottom of the fuselage. I just fly around and look at it real good to see if there's anything I need to tweak. There is one more thing I wanted to do but I'm not sure I will, this is suppose to be a simple plane so I probably should stop adding stuff to it and map it. Once I get it mapped I'll finish the first pass of the physics and release a beta. Right now the physics is in pretty bad shape and mostly from the old plane I borrowed the physics from. The plane fly's but not that great.

I read today that we might get some leaked benchmarks of the 2080 and 2080 ti later this weekend or early next week. I'm really looking forward to those. I'm not really interested in the ray-tracing part of the new NVIDIA cards because it will take at least the second generation before there's really enough power to use it that well in games but they keep saying they're 35 to 40 percent faster in standard games so that would be good for me.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:23 AM

Happy September technoid. As always I'm looking forward to testing out your new creation.

I found a good file managing program/app I like that works in Android with Win 10 and file sharing. It's called X-plore. Unlike some of the others it works with smb 1 and 2 without requiring you to pay. In the past I used ES File Explorer but it now it only let's you have smb network support for 7 days then you have to upgrade to plus.

I got an email from EVGA this morning. All the 1060,1070,1080 cards are on sale now of course.

Also on a happy note I finally found the serial number for my Heli Mega Pack and got that installed and working.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:16 PM

Well it seems everything I do these days ends up with a cockpit. I had no intention of putting one in this plane and purposely made the canopy all the way across the wing and squared it off at the top. That sort of went with the theme of this plane, a boxy flyer. But I thought i'd go ahead and add a simple cockpit to it because I end up flying all my planes in 3d fields and like to have the cockpit view. So I better have some decent low rates to fly it from the pilot seat. Anyeay here's what I added to it. You can see the extra length of the canopy makes a long cockpit so I added a storage area in back of the pilot seat with a storage box in it. That filled it out a little bit better. Any comments?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stagger 11.jpg (47.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-01-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
Happy September technoid. As always I'm looking forward to testing out your new creation.

I found a good file managing program/app I like that works in Android with Win 10 and file sharing. It's called X-plore. Unlike some of the others it works with smb 1 and 2 without requiring you to pay. In the past I used ES File Explorer but it now it only let's you have smb network support for 7 days then you have to upgrade to plus.

I got an email from EVGA this morning. All the 1060,1070,1080 cards are on sale now of course.

Also on a happy note I finally found the serial number for my Heli Mega Pack and got that installed and working.
Yeah from what I read they made too many of the 10 series card trying to keep up with the crypto craze before it crashed and have lots of them to sell off. I almost bought one of the MSI 1080 went it was on sale but decided to way and see how the 20 series do before I buy anything. They're saying the 2080 is 35 to 45 percent faster than the 1080 which put is in the 1080 ti range. So if that's the case I'll probably get one because they do have a couple of features that I might end up using, the DLSS anti-aliasing sounds like it might be a good thing. So I'm waiting for now to see how fast the new cards are in standard games.

It's good to hear you found your serial number, have a blast.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:07 PM

Stop making changes already .. I'm having beta withdrawal !! .. Just kidding .. You can never not tweak or try things because it's your fun thing to do.

P.S. We don't need a pilot in the seat .. hehe

I picked up a free box of laptops and netbooks this afternoon. So I'm seeing which ones I can load at least to Win 7 and then donate to charity again.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: