Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 10-11-2018, 04:38 PM

Flaps and ailerons or just big ailerons. Dihedral either or is fine.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Flaps and ailerons or just big ailerons. Dihedral either or is fine.
I wasn't planning on flaps they said it landed very slow and easy and didn't need flaps. I plan to add a bit of dihedral maybe1.5 degrees, just enough to see it but not mess up the way it fly's. Their prototype was ailerons only with a touch of dihedral.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ws56929.jpg (46.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-11-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
That's great .. so I'm not so crazy as people say I am right ?
well.. You're a nut ball but we love you anyway
Old 10-11-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
I added the valve stem so the wheels are finished. In the end the valve stem and cap will be different colors.
Are you going for chrome valve stem caps and air filled tires, or green caps and nitrogen filled tires ? .you really are one for detail, great work Technoid.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj5547 View Post
Are you going for chrome valve stem caps and air filled tires, or green caps and nitrogen filled tires ? .you really are one for detail, great work Technoid.
I was planning on a dark(ish) valve stem with black cap like you see lots of the time. Like the generic black plastic caps for valve stems.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
You just can't wait to stick it to us
Ha.. You got me !
Old 10-12-2018, 03:09 PM

I went back and did some tweaking to the wings and hstab today I made the trailing edge square like the Monster Stick is. The wing and hstab I used to make them from was feathered out to a flat end. I also put on the DA Gas Twin engine. Here's render for you.

I need some help. Look at the picture of the prototype and tell me what the parts are on the front right side of the fuselage. Is the front part a Power Switch and and the back parts Gas Inlet and Outlet connections?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AMR Monster Stik 150 12.jpg (63.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Db86249.jpg (64.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 10-12-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
The front one is definitely a power switch. The back one is tough. It could be a fuel input and overflow out. If you can't see the fuel tank you need an overflow to know when it's full.
that or maybe charge port for ignition and radio batteries
Old 10-13-2018, 01:23 AM

Thanks guys I appreciate the input on that stuff. I may or may not add it later but was curious about it. I wanted to let you know I need to put modeling on the back burner for a few days or a week to get some stuff done around the house. I'll still check in to see what's going on from time to time but will probably be too worn out from other work to model any. But I'll be back at it soon.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Don't overdue it. You've already given us lots to enjoy. Maybe folks can take the time to go back and enjoy some of your past efforts they haven't flown in a while.
Thanks. It was rainy and cold here today so I didn't start on my project, which gave me some time to play so I worked on the Monster Stick.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:36 PM

I couldn't start on my project at home today because of the rain and cold so I got to work on the Monster Stick. I did the first pass of the mapping and used that to create a color scheme, so here's a picture for you. Hey, it looks like a Stick. That's the thing about RealFlight you loose the presence that gives you that huge feeling. But the large tires and wheels look pretty good. I haven't done a spec map this is just the basic TGA colors. I'll finish the CS when I can and update the physics with the correct sizes. Right now I'm using a physics file from my 96 inch stick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AMR Monster Stik 150 13.jpg (287.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-14-2018, 06:20 PM

I guess I don't understand manufactures. I sent an email to the fellow that did the build thread for their prototype and he fired an email back quickly and said to call him. We had a nice chat and he said he would talk to someone and have them contact me, but nothing yet. I sent one more email to him and ask if maybe there was a manual I could download that might help me, but no reply. I just don't understand why a manufacturer wouldn't give a scale 3 view to someone wanting to model their plane. To me that's free publicity. On well this model isn't as accurate as it could have been with a 3 view. I mean I used a PICTURE of a person holding the plane up as a template but that didn't give me any side or front view. Too bad I really thought I was going to get some help.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I'll "settle" for your own skill and intuition any day. I'm sure it will be great.
Thanks! Yeah it's starting to turn out pretty good I've been tweaking stuff to look like the pictures I seen and adding a couple of nice details. See my update next.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:04 PM

The weather threw a wet blanket on what I was going to do because most of it was outside. I worked on some other stuff but not what I wanted too. But that was good for modeling I guess because I've had quite a bit of time to model. But I'll admit some of it was really late nights (read an all nighter) and others were early in the morning while I'm having coffee. Anyway I've done a few things to the Monster and I think it's a bit more accurate now, but of course I can't know that for sure. But it does look more like the pictures I've downloaded. One thing I did was rework the VStab the one on the Monster it's more elongated than the one on the plane I got the parts from. I also made the HStab a bit larger and increased the length of the elevator, not a lot but more inline with the pictures I've downloaded. I also lowered the top of the fuselage at the firewall to get a little downward angle on it.

After all that I went back and added the parts the prototype had on the right side of the fuselage. I added a power switch in front and further back a plate with inlet and outlet quick connects for the fuel tank. And below the quick connects I added two charging ports for the receiver and ignition batteries. I also added caps on each of those parts so dirt can't get in. I have a couple of pictures of the new parts so you can see what I mean. I still need to add servos but I may do that after I do the first pass of mapping so I can get the plane flying sooner. It's easy to go back and add servos to the mapping later since they don't affect anything else.

One more thing I did that was lots of work. The engine side view was off, it was a bit too long, so I had to select all the parts and move the necessary areas back some to make it look better. I had also removed the choke and throttle plates from the carburetor to recover some triangles on the last plane it was on so I added them back since on this plane it's easy to rotate the view and see them. That's probably some detail that won't be seen much but little things like that look good when you rotate the plane around in the RF editor. So now it's time to remap everything I've changed and map the new parts I've added. But I do wish the weather would clear up I need to get that stuff done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AMR Monster Stik 150 15.jpg (107.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg AMR Monster Stik 150 16.jpg (65.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-15-2018, 08:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
sounds good what you have going on with the Monster Stick , hope you can get at your other home chores soon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: