Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 06-08-2019, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj5547 View Post
The Flying Boat is looking really good Technoid, at 180 inch span it will be easy to see and fun to fly at Harbor Dock.
That's what I'm thinking too it will look good at Harbor Dock and at Alpine Lake too, that is the Alpine Lake in RF-X. And it will also look good in RF-8.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:22 AM

Before I scaled it up I wanted to round out the back of the engine housings first. I kept thinking I'd do that next but always found something else to do first. So tonight I rounded them out and here's a couple of pictures for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flying Boat 12.jpg (46.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Flying Boat 13.jpg (49.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-08-2019, 07:37 AM

Nacelles are perfect. !!!
Old 06-08-2019, 09:43 AM

Still curious on the name. FYI all the other one I joked about I deleted because it could have been taken in a bad way.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:28 AM

Looks real nice, great work Technoid!
Old 06-08-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
Still curious on the name. FYI all the other one I joked about I deleted because it could have been taken in a bad way.
I was thinking about BrokeDad Airways But seriously I have an idea or two but nothing worth repeating yet.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:49 PM

A short update. I thought I was ready to scale it up but then I realized I needed to finish the collision mesh and the schematic, so that's what I just finished. SO.. now I think I'm finally ready to scale it up but I'm tired now so that's next time I work on it. But I am curious what it will look like in both RF-8 and RF-X.

Oh.. I haven't cutout the glass for the canopy yet but I thought I'd do that after I scale it up and get it flying.

Not that it's exciting but here's the collision mesh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flying Boat 14.jpg (134.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-08-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
I was thinking about BrokeDad Airways But seriously I have an idea or two but nothing worth repeating yet.
You can write that on one and send it to me I've seen lots of cool stuff flying over all day from the Air Show... A-10's, C-130, Huey's, and of course the air force team with the blue eagle pattern on the bottom.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:15 PM

I decided to slow down and do a bit more work before I scale it up, and I may scale it to 200 inches instead of 180. I don't really trust 3d programs to accurately scale up and down so I decided to finish the plane before I scale it up. Doing it that way gives me a reference size to start from if I want to try different sizes.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
A short update. I thought I was ready to scale it up but then I realized I needed to finish the collision mesh and the schematic, so that's what I just finished. SO.. now I think I'm finally ready to scale it up but I'm tired now so that's next time I work on it. But I am curious what it will look like in both RF-8 and RF-X.

Oh.. I haven't cutout the glass for the canopy yet but I thought I'd do that after I scale it up and get it flying.

Not that it's exciting but here's the collision mesh.
Love that collision mesh, looks great, not as though I ever collide anything but useful to have.

Here is a video of a Sunderland in RF-X at Harbor Dock, just as a reference to scale size against your intended model size, this is a 108 inch span model from the G4 swaps by dhk79. Your Flying Boat should be close to double the size of the Sunderland in RF-X, which will be great (easier to see) and the Technoid Flying Boat with your flight physics (you always make the best flying models) will make your model absolutely outstanding. Awesome work Technoid.

https://youtu.be/lfyFV694WOM
Old 06-09-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj5547 View Post
Love that collision mesh, looks great, not as though I ever collide anything but useful to have.

Here is a video of a Sunderland in RF-X at Harbor Dock, just as a reference to scale size against your intended model size, this is a 108 inch span model from the G4 swaps by dhk79. Your Flying Boat should be close to double the size of the Sunderland in RF-X, which will be great (easier to see) and the Technoid Flying Boat with your flight physics (you always make the best flying models) will make your model absolutely outstanding. Awesome work Technoid.

https://youtu.be/lfyFV694WOM
Thanks for doing that. I grabbed the Sunderand and in RF-8 set the visual size to 200% and then scaled the physics to 200% so the plane physics matched the visual size. Then I went around and adjusted the plane weights to get a 47.8 lbs. plane which gave it 22.6 oz. wing loading. I had to offset the CG using 11.00 in the CG Adjustment Y setting which made the plane fly pretty well. I wish I could try this out in RF-X and see what it looks like but RF-X doesn't allow visual scaling. But it looks pretty big in RF-8 and I think it should look great in RF-X. So thanks for doing that it gave me something to play with to see what it looks like. And the physics I created should give me a good quick and dirty way to try my plane out if I want to.

legoman. Do you trust RealFlight to keep the physics file clean when adjusting things? By that I mean I used the Rescale Physics To function to scale the Sunderland Physics to 200% so the Physics Matched the Visual Size so do you trust RealFlight to keep the physics file in good order or do you think maybe they make a mess of it as the go through adjusting things. I'm asking because if I could use the physics file I just created as a starting point for my planes physics it would save me some time. So would you trust them and use the file or just start over to make sure it's not junked up?
Old 06-09-2019, 12:44 PM

I cutout the canopy today and added the frame so please take a look and let me know if it looks okay. I know there's usually more panes in the front glass but I always have a pilot seat view and I wanted a nice view for the pilot without seeing a bunch of frames across the front of the canopy. So let me know if this works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flying Boat 15.jpg (59.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-09-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks for doing that. I grabbed the Sunderand and in RF-8 set the visual size to 200% and then scaled the physics to 200% so the plane physics matched the visual size. Then I went around and adjusted the plane weights to get a 47.8 lbs. plane which gave it 22.6 oz. wing loading. I had to offset the CG using 11.00 in the CG Adjustment Y setting which made the plane fly pretty well. I wish I could try this out in RF-X and see what it looks like but RF-X doesn't allow visual scaling. But it looks pretty big in RF-8 and I think it should look great in RF-X. So thanks for doing that it gave me something to play with to see what it looks like. And the physics I created should give me a good quick and dirty way to try my plane out if I want to.

legoman. Do you trust RealFlight to keep the physics file clean when adjusting things? By that I mean I used the Rescale Physics To function to scale the Sunderland Physics to 200% so the Physics Matched the Visual Size so do you trust RealFlight to keep the physics file in good order or do you think maybe they make a mess of it as the go through adjusting things. I'm asking because if I could use the physics file I just created as a starting point for my planes physics it would save me some time. So would you trust them and use the file or just start over to make sure it's not junked up?
Yes I trust realflights scale factors 47 lb sounds a little light for an 18 ft wingspan
Old 06-09-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Yes I trust realflights scale factors 47 lb sounds a little light for an 18 ft wingspan
I just doubled the weight of all the parts twice and the second time it was 47 lbs. which was good enough to get it flying so I could look at it, but yeah a little light.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I just doubled the weight of all the parts twice and the second time it was 47 lbs. which was good enough to get it flying so I could look at it, but yeah a little light.
double it again. it should be in the 95-120 lb range at 18 ft

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: