Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 06-09-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
double it again. it should be in the 95-120 lb range at 18 ft
Thanks. I'm curious where did you get the weight range from?

I don't care about that temporary physics I created for the Sunderland but once I rescale my plane to 200 inches I'll adjust the weights for it. But like I said I'm curious where you got the weight range from. I've done some Google searches on large RC planes and for some reason I haven't found much.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Thanks. I'm curious where did you get the weight range from?

I don't care about that temporary physics I created for the Sunderland but once I rescale my plane to 200 inches I'll adjust the weights for it. But like I said I'm curious where you got the weight range from. I've done some Google searches on large RC planes and for some reason I haven't found much.
browsing this site http://www.rcwarbirds.com/Aircraft/Aircraft.html looking through the big aircraft and youtube videos of the monster plane will have enough detail on weights and sizes, the European and middle eastern builds are usually the biggest. Plus I have a internal guide, from doing it so much and the stuff listed above, for scaling planes so I can kind of just ball park it
Old 06-09-2019, 03:09 PM

I've been thinking a bit about what engine to use in the 200 inch wingspan version. If I say the 9 cylinder radials are painted plastic inserts I could use any engine I want behind it. Looking at the new Saito Gas 4 Stroke FG-40 it's 50 ounces total weight so I have 12.5 lbs. of engines. One of the suggested props is 20x10 and with the plane scaled up to 200 inches will fit just fine. Saito specs say 8,000 rpm. So legoman what do you think is that enough power to fly it okay?

EDIT: I just did a test in RealFlight and a 20x10 prop at 8,000 rpm was giving 27 lbs. of thrust so four of them should be good for the Flying Boat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flying Boat 16.jpg (45.5 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by technoid; 06-09-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
browsing this site http://www.rcwarbirds.com/Aircraft/Aircraft.html looking through the big aircraft and youtube videos of the monster plane will have enough detail on weights and sizes, the European and middle eastern builds are usually the biggest. Plus I have a internal guide, from doing it so much and the stuff listed above, for scaling planes so I can kind of just ball park it
Okay.. thanks !
Old 06-09-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I've been thinking a bit about what engine to use in the 200 inch wingspan version. If I say the 9 cylinder radials are painted plastic inserts I could use any engine I want behind it. Looking at the new Saito Gas 4 Stroke FG-40 it's 50 ounces total weight so I have 12.5 lbs. of engines. One of the suggested props is 20x10 and with the plane scaled up to 200 inches will fit just fine. Saito specs say 8,000 rpm. So legoman what do you think is that enough power to fly it okay?

EDIT: I just did a test in RealFlight and a 20x10 prop at 8,000 rpm was giving 27 lbs. of thrust so four of them should be good for the Flying Boat.
the cylinder head may poke out of the cowl it is very close by Eye ball. And as far as the power it really depends on the wing's airfoil and angle of attack. It may be fine with some aggressive flaps if zero camber and zero aoa, but if there is too much drag you may need more lift to fly slower
Old 06-09-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
the cylinder head may poke out of the cowl it is very close by Eye ball. And as far as the power it really depends on the wing's airfoil and angle of attack. It may be fine with some aggressive flaps if zero camber and zero aoa, but if there is too much drag you may need more lift to fly slower
Okay thanks that's about what I thought I just need to try it after I get it going and see what happens. And I'll look at the spacing too.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:59 AM

Okay guys help me out which canopy do you like best? I made the first picture so the front panes would be wider so when flying in the pilot seat the view would be better. I made the second picture so it looked more like the planes I've seen. So help me out and vote for which one you like best?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flying Boat 15.jpg (59.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Flying Boat 17.jpg (66.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 06-10-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Okay guys help me out which canopy do you like best? I made the first picture so the front panes would be wider so when flying in the pilot seat the view would be better. I made the second picture so it looked more like the planes I've seen. So help me out and vote for which one you like best?
this one

Old 06-10-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Picture one is best for inside view, picture two looks better from the outside, that means I am sitting on the fence happy to jump either way. (am I helpful or what) ???
Old 06-10-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
typically you would have pilot on the left copilot on the right and a flight engineer you manages the engine power and cooling adjustments during flight he rides back behind the pilot and copilot. But during long periods of constant power he will come to the front with the pilot and copilot and look through the center windshield and monitor the engine through the duplicate gauges in the cockpit.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:04 AM

The second picture!
Old 06-10-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
typically you would have pilot on the left copilot on the right and a flight engineer you manages the engine power and cooling adjustments during flight he rides back behind the pilot and copilot. But during long periods of constant power he will come to the front with the pilot and copilot and look through the center windshield and monitor the engine through the duplicate gauges in the cockpit.
Okay cool thanks for the info that makes the choice a little easier. Look at my next post and help me with one last choice. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2019, 11:09 AM

Okay I'm going with the canopy with three panes of glass but I wasn't sure if the frame was a tiny bit wide so I made one more test to see which ones best. The first picture is the one from the last test and the second picture has the frame width reduced by .01 which isn't much but you can see it. SO.. the first picture has a frame width of .150 and the second picture has a frame width of .140. So tell me which one is the best the wider frame or the thinner frame. Thanks guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flying Boat 17.jpg (66.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Flying Boat 19.jpg (58.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-10-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Okay I'm going with the canopy with three panes of glass but I wasn't sure if the frame was a tiny bit wide so I made one more test to see which ones best. The first picture is the one from the last test and the second picture has the frame width reduced by .01 which isn't much but you can see it. SO.. the first picture has a frame width of .150 and the second picture has a frame width of .140. So tell me which one is the best the wider frame or the thinner frame. Thanks guys.
Wider
Old 06-10-2019, 01:16 PM

Guess I'm late to the opinion party. Just don't forget my cup holder.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: