Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 01-10-2019, 10:01 AM

Adjusting Spektrum Flight Controller Parameters?

I just picked up RF8 HH and a Spektrum WS1000 to use with my DX9 transmtiter. Overall, I'm pleased with the quality of the software, and I love the wireless setup as opposed to the cord I've been using with Phoenix.

As far as I can tell so far, RF8 seems to do a great job with modeling the SAFE feature set for planes (self-level, bank angle limits, and even the throttle-to-elevator mix). The virtual Spektrum Flight Controller is clearly based on the current capabilities of a Spektrum AR636 receiver with SAFE features, which I've spent a lot of time analyzing.

However, I have to say that I'm disappointed in how unrealistically the Spektrum Flight Controller is programmed for the Apprentice S model. The Apprentice S seems to be using settings taken from the Mini Apprentice, (which uses an AR636 receiver on the real thing). Since it's an older model (but a great one!), the Apprentice S had a proprietary receiver with different behavior. Most notably, the Apprentice S does not have the AIL-to-RUD mix that the Mini has in Beginner Mode, and the settings for the SAFE THR>ELE mix are quite different as well. I'd also tweak the low rate setting on the rudder in Beginner Mode. While 50% is actually realistic for that setting, the real plane has a little more rudder authority in real life than it does on the sim.

I have started experimenting with the "Parameter Set A" - "Parameter Set F" settings in the flight controller, and none of them really reflect how the Apprentice S would be set up.

Is there any way for the end users to edit or add to the Parameter Sets for the Spektrum Flight Controller? I know this problem could be fixed by changing the parameters. It's definitely not the physics engine or anything like that - I don't have any complaints about the sim in general. From what I know about SAFE settings on an AR636, I'm confident that this is a simple fix. I like to tweak the flight controller settings on the real AR636's, so while it would be great to get the Apprentice S straightened out, I'd also like to see this be a feature that we could edit in general.

The only other plane in the sim with SAFE that I have for comparison is a Timber, and that one works a lot more like the real thing.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:48 PM
Administrator

It is not possible to edit those SAFE parameters at this time. You're not missing anything.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We collaborated with Horizon on the final setup of that aircraft. We will bring it up with them and potentially make a change in a future update if needed.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:32 PM

If it helps, you can point them to this entry in my blog over at RCGroups that's all about the settings you'd create within the Spektrum Flight Controller. Specifically, post #5 describes the differences between a Mini Apprentice and an Apprentice S.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...elect-Receiver
Old 08-21-2019, 10:16 AM

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm wondering if this issue has been fixed yet.

I'm disappointed that there has been no update so far to correct this in RF8. This is a big deal to me, as many of my real airplanes have Apprentice S receivers in them. With the sim modeling that receiver incorrectly, the sim doesn't do me a heck of a lot of good for practicing flying.

Is it fixed in RF9? I don't like the idea of having to spend more money to get this fixed, but that's an issue I can take up elsewhere if need be.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: