Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 01-24-2018, 11:36 AM

RF-X Laucher also crashes with Version 1.5 when Windows Update KB4056894 is installed on Windows 7 Ult. 64bit.

when i uninstall the Januar Update KB4056894 all is good the the launcher works.
it is not possible to seek for updates with the update installed, the program crashes before it is able to open!

AMD FX-8370
GTX 1060 6GB
MSI 990FXA Motherboard
32gig DDR3 Ram
2x 500GB SSDs

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Knifescreenshot_0001.jpg (106.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by GaryX1001; 01-24-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:41 PM

windows updates

my system is running great now so i went into services and disabled windows updates...im using windows 10 so Im not sure how you do that in 7. I got so sick of windows updates screwing up my PC....auto installing generic drivers for my video etc. thats why i disabled it !
Old 01-24-2018, 12:54 PM

i install the updates manually, but People who have it on Auto Setting will not know what causes the RF-X Launcher to Crash. so if this KB is installed on win7 with AMD cpu they are not able to download any update for Realflight again!
Old 01-24-2018, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Thanks for that report, GaryX1001. This is not something we've been able to look into yet, but it sounds like you've found the culprit and a workaround for now. I filed a case about it.

I'll notify tech support so they are aware as well.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:39 PM

I was just flying Wright Island and each time I fly it I'm so impressed by the detail and life filled feeling it has I can truly say this is 'exactly' what I wanted to see and of course the trouble with that (trouble you say) is I want more, and more, and more. So I thought I'd throw something out here. Two ideas to get some feedback on. One I'd like to see a small town scene with all the details of a small town. You could have the town square with a few newer taller buildings mixed in around it with a typical small town square look with a movie theater, bank, hardware store, book store, appliance store, a café and just the typical buildings that outline a small town. And then as you go out from there you'd have the city streets and parks, a drive-in theater and Dairy Queen, a high school and football field then as you get out of town the typical country side that goes along with it. Of course there would be a bunch of flying fields scattered through it. The second idea is, to me this update has changed RF-X into something that can have Scenery Packs that would fuel revenue for KE and their publisher. But of course people have to be wiling to buy these Scenery Packs so that's where I'd like to see what people think here on the forum. To be honest I'd easily pay 20 - 30 dollars for a Scenery Pack with the quality of this update.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:59 PM

YES, I would be willing to purchase scenery packs, great idea.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:10 AM

Scenery/expansion packs for RF-X would be a great idea!
Old 01-25-2018, 07:41 PM

Deep water bug

I loaded the soveit Typhoon (modified). And fully submerged the body of the sub (componant type float) created little to no noticeable effect for steering with rudder. In other words the rudder would deflect the fuselage 20 degrees from direction of travel though the water but very little affect occured after the intial deflection. While traveling on the surface however, turning was correct as far as I could tell.

[Edit] it does the same thing in rf8

Last edited by legoman; 01-25-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:29 PM

Up and running!

Downloaded and installed RFX 1.50.004 the other day. Enabled the texture rendering. All I can say is I'm very impressed/happy with the update! (after 3-4 hours of stick time)

I'm running i7-4790K @ 4 GHx base clock, GeForce GTX-1070 SC 8GB, 16GB RAM, 256G SSD, Windows 10 with most current security updates.

Running RFX on 2560x1440 60Hz monitor, full screen, temporal, Texture High, Filtering Bilinear, Shader high, Ansiotrophy 2x, Bloom, Volumetric shadiows and Ambient Occlusion all on, Depth of field and motion blur both off.

I do get a bit of stutter every now and then but gets better the more it runs. I had some crashes {giving a Uengine fatal error), but I think that was mostly due to overclocking (slightly) with EVGA PrecisionX utility. It's hard to tell since I don't have on ton of stick time on this update, but it's more stable if I just turn the overclock off. I also have been running Google Chrome on a second monitor and streaming Dish Anywhere player on a third (after I got crashes figured out) and it seems to run OK (probably contributes to the stutter - on the 42 version, didn't really have any issues with crashes or stutters doing the same). I seem to have somewhat better frame rates on the older fields, consistently above 30 sometimes slightly less (whereas would dip to low 20's in 42 version). Well above that when the model is flown further out. I don't do a lot of FPV or chase plane view.

As far as the simulation goes, I like to reduce the sun azimuth to dawn/dusk. It looks fine, just different than the last version . . . maybe not as rich/deep colors. Not complaining, just noting the slight difference. The new fields look great! Really nice to be able to fly off of water, since that's an option form me in real life in the summer. Wish there were more float models (please).

Overall I think the simulation looks better and performs better. Can't put my finger on it but just my overall impression. I bought RF8 and fly it occasionally, mostly for the variety of models. It never has looked near good as RFX. RFX has always been my simulator of choice (once I got the hardware to run it well - wish I could go to a 1080, but maybe someday).

My only complaint is with the physics . . . for some reason, on most of the models I've tried so far (esp. Cub, Stearman, Corsair, Mustang) the landing gear seem really "springy" and unless you absolutely grease the landing, the model pops into the air way more than it used to on 42/RF8 or compared to what I've experienced in real life. Please look at this because it really is noticeable (at least to me).

I hope these comments help the developers and maybe some users. I know it's mostly anecdotal, but it's really encouraging to see the progress made on improving this simulation. Thanks for all your hard work. Looking forward to more improvements/features in the future. For training for the flying I like to do, this is my favorite, and it's encouraging to see it is still being updated and improved. Any questions, let me know.

Thanks,
dja2424
Old 01-26-2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dja2424 View Post
My only complaint is with the physics . . . for some reason, on most of the models I've tried so far (esp. Cub, Stearman, Corsair, Mustang) the landing gear seem really "springy" and unless you absolutely grease the landing, the model pops into the air way more than it used to on 42/RF8 or compared to what I've experienced in real life. Please look at this because it really is noticeable (at least to me).
dja2424
I noticed the "landing bounce" as well, the aircraft has to be slowed excessively to stick the landing. Should I complain ? (probably not) the simulator is just making me a better pilot, but for someone new to the hobby landing successfully can be a challenge, if the approach is bit "hot" over the fence, then good luck making it stick to the tarmac, you actually end up with an aircraft that resembles a rubber ball. My first few landings with 1.5 made me smile !!!
Old 01-27-2018, 03:52 PM

Is Video vsync set to 60 fps automatically when simulator is started ?
When I first installed RF-X 1.5 I think I remember fps showing more than 60 and with the occasional frame stutter, so I decided to run the "video_vsync 1" command to check for improvements.
Now if I run the "video vsync 0" command followed by the "video restart" cmd I get over 100 fps but only until I restart the sim, then it defaults back to 60 fps.
Also checked NVidia control panel settings vsync is set to "use the 3d application settings"
Old 01-27-2018, 05:55 PM

Great beta update

I just updated today. took about 45 min. NO PROBLEMS!

Aircraft feel more real, except quite bouncier when landing.

Scenery is much much better. Trees and other plants appear more natural. Not all looking exactly the same. Broader spectrum of color in plants!

Love the flowers! adds wonderful bits of color.

When approaching the the ground, the details are still delayed. The plants still appears to be growing as you approach the ground. (ground detail update on approach is still too slow). Will a more powerful GPU fix this?

This version of RF X is much better. What it should have been on release. Looking forward to the official release. Would defiantly purchase addition airfields and aircraft. Perhaps Occulus VR googles in the future.

Very long wait for this update, but worth it! Thank You KE.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:46 PM

Download and Install Failure

I tried download the update numerous times and it required multiple restarts. One it finished it will not start. My attempt s t re-download the file has failed.

Is the only recovery to do a uninstall of RF-X and reinstall and then attempt the update again?

Will KnifeEdge be mastering new DVD's?

I have Comcast and can download at 250MB on other sites. Downloading form the update server is excruciating slow.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:07 PM

Robert,

I'd recommend trying the steps for problem #2 outlined in this post.

That involves uninstalling, but not re-downloading the files.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:29 AM

Is there anyway to order a new DVD for the latest release. I have been trying all day to download the update and am getting repeated failures and retries. I know it is not my system since I have been downloading larger files without any issues.

I followed step #2 but after the install it indicated in needed to download the files again. The server on the other end is extremely slow as I am only averaging about 20k bytes /sec. I have a 250MB download speed on Comcast.

Where does RF-X store the downloaded files?

2/11/2018 7:40 PM

The RealFlight RF-X update is downloading and I have lost count on how many times I have had to click to continue. The bar graph has one bar left to go and it has been stuck for about 30 minutes downloading Yak54Cockpit_d.dds. The program has not time out and requested a retry and the only option that I have is to cancel.

What happens to the files that I have already downloaded if cancel is selected?

2/11/2018 10:17 pm

Well the download started again and completed. It started copying all of the files and then generated the "Out of Memory" error.

I will be calling KnifeEdge tomorrow for assistance.

Last edited by Robert Willis; 02-12-2018 at 12:19 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: