Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 01-19-2018, 09:14 PM
Administrator

VR in RF-X

I believe Jim and Jeremy have both mentioned that VR in RF-X does not perform well enough for general consumption at this time. The engine just isn't there yet. The only airport where we see a steady 90fps is at Green Grass Flatlands--and that is only with a GTX1080!

That level of performance has led us to leave VR disabled by default in RF-X.

Nevertheless, the feature does exist. It is unfinished, and the menu does not appear in the headset, but the basics work.

If you want to try it out for yourself, it's easy enough to do. Simply edit an RF-X Launcher shortcut and add " -vr" (with a leading space and no quotes) to the end of the Target line. Then start RF-X via the Launcher like normal, load your chosen aircraft and airport, and put on your headset.

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: png VR flag.png (36.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 01-19-2018, 10:15 PM

Ill try it soon as i get it down loaded. I have a 1080TI..
Old 01-21-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaMMeR991 View Post
Ill try it soon as i get it down loaded. I have a 1080TI..
Great, I have an I9 7900X Oc to 4.5 Gh and a GTX 1080TI and 1TB M2 memory, so once it downloads I am keen to test the VR!

I like to fly both with and without VR as VR can get very tiring ....

It's good to have a choice.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:54 AM

Ok I have run the VR version of RFX on my old computer which is a I6700K Oc to 4.6GHz, 32G Ram, GTX 1080TI extreme running at 1682Mhz and 11G GDR Ram.

Running a 1TB M2 SSD Samsung Pro.

My HTC vive is cordless running the TP cast.

This is an Alienware 2016 Aurora R6 computer with a Graphics card upgrade (this card is going to SLI in my new I 9 7900X but I thought I would test RFX in an 18m old computer.

I disagree with Jeremy in that it works and looks flawless and it is quite incredible.

I have flown multimillion doillar Airline flight sims and I can tell you this is every bit as good as it is so immersive.

I obviously can't post it as you need VR but it is breath taking and mind blowing.

I have decided to stop checking frame rates and just feel the sim out and I do not notice any lag and it was smooth as velvet on my eyes.

Jeremy you guys are understating how darn good this is in VR and its really a game changer and as much as I like RF8 this is just like going from black and white TV to HDTV, its that big of a game changer.

Obviously you need a great rig but the Alienware Aurora R6 with the next chip up with and I7 7700K second hand and with a new card is about 2000 to 2500 USD compared to the new I9 7900x which will was 5500 , so you don't need the latest and greatest to be totally immersed.

Did I mention I maxed out all the graphics sliders??

Thanks KE for sneaking in the VR version, it is flawless, it never crashed and was fast and smooth.

Cheers guys keep developing this software, it's bloody awesome.

Last edited by Bellah1z; 01-28-2018 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:03 PM

i have a 1080ti as well and vr looks amazing !!
Old 02-05-2018, 01:01 PM

don't know what's wrong with my settings but when i fly in VR everything looks like blurry except at a certain distance, it's not really usable like this.. any tips?
Old 02-05-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brecht View Post
don't know what's wrong with my settings but when i fly in VR everything looks like blurry except at a certain distance, it's not really usable like this.. any tips?
It sounds like you might have Depth of Field enabled. If so, I'd recommend disabling it.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaMMeR991 View Post
i have a 1080ti as well and vr looks amazing !!
Do you think there would be any advantage to running 2x 1080Ti in SLI for VR? I am working on building a new PC and was able to snag two 1080TIs at retail price. I haven't been able to find any official answer if RF-X supports SLI.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFavreInABox View Post
Do you think there would be any advantage to running 2x 1080Ti in SLI for VR? I am working on building a new PC and was able to snag two 1080TIs at retail price. I haven't been able to find any official answer if RF-X supports SLI.
2 1080TI wont gain you anything in VR, but it might help in RF-X, but one 1080TI works fine. thats I have and its working great. no need for two plus the cost of graphic cards are sky high right now. glad I bought mine when it was 750 bucks
Old 02-16-2018, 08:21 PM

Thanks Bammer, now I just need to decide between the HMD Odyssey and Rift (currently same price).
Old 03-21-2018, 09:32 AM

Hi Guys I have tested both the Odyssey and the Vive and its certainly an interesting comparison.

No doubt the Vive is rock solid magnificent in terms of zero noticeable latency and very accurate matching your head movements but the screen door effect is not bad by any means but noticeable but the picture is so smooth you soon forget it but it takes a lot to set up and there are base stations and wires everywhere!

The Samsung is super simple to set up and the picture quality is noticeably better with a higher resolution and the screen door effect not noticeable but... the accuracy of head movement is a lot less than the vive and fast head movements really cause a big lag so its important to slow down your head movements to make it smooth.

The biggest problem for me is while the background is really smooth the actual models seem to stutter and seem to jump between frames.

This is so bad it makes the Samsung unusable in my opinion with RFX.

Now the funny thing is that I also I have RF8 and I would say the higher resolution of the Samsung makes it better than the Vive as this stuttering of the model does not occur.

Maybe it's just the software is not yet optimised for the Samsung and RFX?

Its certainly not related to processor or Graphics chips as I don't get the problem with the Vive and I have also tried turning down the graphics options.

Any ideas KE?
Old 05-03-2018, 04:28 AM

Exclamation Jermey Any ideas Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellah1z View Post
Hi Guys I have tested both the Odyssey and the Vive and its certainly an interesting comparison.

No doubt the Vive is rock solid magnificent in terms of zero noticeable latency and very accurate matching your head movements but the screen door effect is not bad by any means but noticeable but the picture is so smooth you soon forget it but it takes a lot to set up and there are base stations and wires everywhere!

The Samsung is super simple to set up and the picture quality is noticeably better with a higher resolution and the screen door effect not noticeable but... the accuracy of head movement is a lot less than the vive and fast head movements really cause a big lag so its important to slow down your head movements to make it smooth.

The biggest problem for me is while the background is really smooth the actual models seem to stutter and seem to jump between frames.

This is so bad it makes the Samsung unusable in my opinion with RFX.

Now the funny thing is that I also I have RF8 and I would say the higher resolution of the Samsung makes it better than the Vive as this stuttering of the model does not occur.

Maybe it's just the software is not yet optimised for the Samsung and RFX?

Its certainly not related to processor or Graphics chips as I don't get the problem with the Vive and I have also tried turning down the graphics options.

Any ideas KE?

I still don't know why the model stutters in VR on my Samsung , its jumpy, the screen itself is fluid and perfect but the airplane stutters or what you might call jumpy back and forward just a small bit but its like 10 frames forward then back 2....

Its not PC performance related as my PC is not even running more than 30% use of the CPU which is an I7 8700K Oc to 5.2 GZ with a 1080TI and m2 drive.

It does it even on the grasslands and I have tried turning all the sliders down and it makes no difference.

It may be a bug in the way it uses the VR application.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:53 PM

It sounds like your Samsung headset is having a hard time holding adequate framerate. Because of the way that RF-X works, framerate drops will tend to make the vehicle's motion look jittery or cause a double image.

In general, the Samsung seems to run at a lower framerate than the Vive, whether in RF-X or RF8. This is partly because of the higher resolution. There's also an extra couple of layers of software in the mix for WMR headsets, since we're using SteamVR support to enable them. The simulator has to render the image, then send it to SteamVR, which sends it to the WMR for SteamVR software, which then finally sends it to the WMR system to render in the headset.

With the Vive, the sim communicated directly with SteamVR, which renders to the headset.

So the reduced performance and increased latency with the WMR headset both work against you. With enough horsepower, I expect it will be smooth, but I don't know exactly how much horsepower is enough.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:15 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Sebens View Post
It sounds like your Samsung headset is having a hard time holding adequate framerate. Because of the way that RF-X works, framerate drops will tend to make the vehicle's motion look jittery or cause a double image.

In general, the Samsung seems to run at a lower framerate than the Vive, whether in RF-X or RF8. This is partly because of the higher resolution. There's also an extra couple of layers of software in the mix for WMR headsets, since we're using SteamVR support to enable them. The simulator has to render the image, then send it to SteamVR, which sends it to the WMR for SteamVR software, which then finally sends it to the WMR system to render in the headset.

With the Vive, the sim communicated directly with SteamVR, which renders to the headset.

So the reduced performance and increased latency with the WMR headset both work against you. With enough horsepower, I expect it will be smooth, but I don't know exactly how much horsepower is enough.

Thanks for the reply and so am listening but I feel it’s not A matter of processing power.

Like I said the CPU is overclocked to 5.2 ghz and is not running at more than 50% in any one of its 6 cores or twelve threads.

I can move my head and the background is smooth as silk just the plane stutters .

If you fly in FPV there is no issue with anything in the visuals.

I think you are probably on the right track in that it is how the software deals with the windows headset but I feel given I have tested it at full sliders and no sliders it makes absolutely no difference in the stuttering, so my view it is not cpu or gpu bound.

It’s certainly worth finding the bug as it’s just an awesome experience and groundbreaking Rc VR and the setup of the Samsung v vive makes the Samsung the cheapest and best visual option.

Message me if I can test anything more for you.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:18 PM

Roger, thanks for the data.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: