Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Sebens View Post
Roger, thanks for the data.

I have been playing around with the setting in the Steam VR settings screen and I found that changing a few of the settings changes the way RFX and RFX 8 perform on my Vive Pro and my Samsung Odyssey.

Allow asynchronos reprojection : If set to on it causes jumping movement for the actual aircraft but the background is smooth and flows when you move your head. If set to off the aeroplane then becomes smooth and the background is sometimes jumping when you move your head.

allow interleaved reprojection : seems ok to leave on or off no change.

Enabled Advanced supersampling : seems ok to leave on or off no change.

enable always on reprojection seems ok to leave on or off no change.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:58 AM

If you leave the last 2 off you get s few more FPS.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:31 AM

I'm getting smooth results in RFX VR. I don't know the fps but it's smooth in both cockpit view and doing heli 3d in fixed position.

Oculus

i7 2600
16gb ram
MSI gtx1070 - Not overclocked

I also upped the RF8 resolution setting to 1.5 and it's working smoothly. Maybe some improvement over the stock 1.0

I did max it out to 5 just to see what would happen. Got something like 2 fps.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringfellow View Post
I'm getting smooth results in RFX VR. I don't know the fps but it's smooth in both cockpit view and doing heli 3d in fixed position.

Oculus

i7 2600
16gb ram
MSI gtx1070 - Not overclocked

I also upped the RF8 resolution setting to 1.5 and it's working smoothly. Maybe some improvement over the stock 1.0

I did max it out to 5 just to see what would happen. Got something like 2 fps.

Wow, even with a gtx1080ti (and also an Oculus Rift) I get a lot of image-doubling when flying VR with a 3D heli LOS in all fields except the low graphics demand Green Grass Flatlands. Personally I think that the RF8 heli physics are much better so I have since uninstalled RF-X and am just using RF8.

I agree that upping the RF8 Res (Super Sampling) helps you see things at a distance a bit better. Plus I find it tends to reduce shimmering and make things look a little sharper. I'm using 1.35 (using the RF8 console command "oc tab 1.35" and this works best for me right now. Anything higher does not seem to produce significantly better results with my Oculus Rift. The main thing with RF8 imho is that you need to use the right setting in order to maintain 90fps. that's the key!

Another thing that helps of course is to use the RF8 model editor and just increase the scale to say 150%. This makes most models a lot more LOS flyable. It screws up the cockpit scaling though, lol!

Last edited by TomC; 11-12-2018 at 02:48 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Wow, even with a gtx1080ti (and also an Oculus Rift) I get a lot of image-doubling when flying VR with a 3D heli LOS in all fields except the low graphics demand Green Grass Flatlands. Personally I think that the RF8 heli physics are much better so I have since uninstalled RF-X and am just using RF8.

I agree that upping the RF8 Res (Super Sampling) helps you see things at a distance a bit better. Plus I find it tends to reduce shimmering and make things look a little sharper. I'm using 1.35 (using the RF8 console command "oc tab 1.35" and this works best for me right now. Anything higher does not seem to produce significantly better results with my Oculus Rift.

Another thing that helps of course is to use the RF8 model editor and just increase the scale to say 150%. This makes most models a lot more LOS flyable. It screws up the cockpit scaling though, lol!

The problem with your setup is while the 1080ti is a great card in fact I have one too, the Rest of your system lets it down.

I have super smooth VR no double images with my Rift with a setting of 2 and it never drops frames below 90fps. I run a desktop 7700k at 5ghz and 16ghz of 3200Mhz DDR4 Ram. This makes a huge difference compared to the laptop specs of your system.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
The problem with your setup is while the 1080ti is a great card in fact I have one too, the Rest of your system lets it down.

I have super smooth VR no double images with my Rift with a setting of 2 and it never drops frames below 90fps. I run a desktop 7700k at 5ghz and 16ghz of 3200Mhz DDR4 Ram. This makes a huge difference compared to the laptop specs of your system.
I'm sure you are correct. No way my puny i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6Ghz in an Alienware laptop can compete with your 5Ghz desktop, lol!
Old 11-12-2018, 01:25 AM

Red face Same problem different program

Quote:
I'm sure you are correct. No way my puny i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6Ghz in an Alienware laptop can compete with your 5Ghz desktop, lol!
Yeah well I have the double image problem in RFX too (as well as RF8) as you know with both my Samsung and Vive pro (same thing in the Vive)

FPV is a dream, its just the third person RC style you get the double images and it doesn't matter even with a i7 8086K Oc'd to 5,2 and RTX 2080TI machine so I doubt it is a problem with the machine specs.

I am not convinced its caused by a lack of PC or GPU power as it only happens in this sim and not AccuRc2 or Next VR or Reflex XTR 2.

It has me flummoxed!

Last edited by Bellah1z; 11-13-2018 at 12:35 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:10 AM

Ya, VR FPV flying (from the cockpit, nose, or chase camera) is pretty easy-peasy. VR line of sight (LOS) is the big test and I doubt that anyone can currently do this stutter and double image free with RF-X anywhere except the Green Grass Flatlands field. Personally I do not have any LOS image doubling-up with RF8 as long as I maintain 90fps.

Aside; with the right setting I can actually get the RF early access Acro FS to fly LOS without any doubling-up. It's a pretty crappy way to fly the Cap since all it seems to want to do is tip stall on me all the time, lol! Actually pretty good FPV though and I think this sim still has a lot of potential.

Last edited by TomC; 11-12-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Ya, VR FPV flying (from the cockpit, nose, or chase camera) is pretty easy-peasy. VR line of sight (LOS) is the big test and I doubt that anyone can currently do this stutter and double image free with RF-X anywhere except the Green Grass Flatlands field. Personally I do not have any LOS image doubling-up with RF8 as long as I maintain 90fps.

Aside; with the right setting I can actually get the RF early access Acro FS to fly LOS without any doubling-up. It's a pretty crappy way to fly the Cap since all it seems to want to do is tip stall on me all the time, lol! Actually pretty good FPV though and I think this sim still has a lot of potential.
yep there is certainly a lot of potential with acro and RFX and I wish realflight would pay it the attention it needs. Do you know what version of Dx they use?
Old 11-13-2018, 12:44 AM

From Realflight rfx and acro fs specs both say Dx11

Last edited by TomC; 11-13-2018 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
From Realflight rfx and acro fs specs both say Dx11
That's correct but RF-8 still uses Dx9. It touches Dx11 for some minor VR stuff but the RF-8 Graphics Engine is based on Dx9.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: