Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G2
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 10-31-2002, 10:18 AM

Nobody's posted a wishlist for a while...

Nobody's posted a wishlist for a while, so here's mine. Not that I'm complaining - trouble is, G2 just leaves you thirsty for more, and I've had a couple of new ideas since I lasted posted one...
  • Probably as a separate (purchasable) program, a tool for importing new 3D airframes into RFG2. OK, I know this is a lot harder to deliver than to ask for, so perhaps these "imported" airframes could be simpler than those distributed on the add-on CDs. For example, nontransparent canopies, no undercarriage, fixed control surfaces - but at least we'd get closer to seeing our own models represented.
  • Similarly, a tool for creating custom airports and importing your own photo scenery (backgrounds), objects (pictures of your own friends and their dogs etc), so that we really can make our own model flying fields available in RFG2. Something where you could use a mouse to draw your own ground contours and position objects (runways etc) on a "map" view of the site would be great. I just find the current UI too clunky to really put the effort in.
  • Fix-up the multiplayer search feature so that you can just choose a session to join rather than having to search amongst the ports hosted at that session. (ok, this is pretty minor).
  • Can you generate a "blank" trim scheme template from an aircraft? It can sometimes be a bit difficult to get the two halves of the trim scheme to line up so that there is no visible join along the top of the fuselage - this might be easier if a template could be generated for the airframe, with a grid-ruled background which lined up positions along the two sides... Or something like that.
OK, so it turns out to be a small list of big things rather than a big list of small things, but I'm sure everyone else can add to it.

Can anyone from KE confirm whether its worthwhile posting lists like this? I don't expect immediate delivery of anything I ask for, but it would be good to know if an "official" features request procedure exists. Otherwise, posting stuff like this just gets it off my chest for a while, but possibly just stirs everyone up?
Old 11-03-2002, 03:49 AM

I would Add.

A Stand Alone Server (Dedicated Server). This is the most crucial part in order to make RF a true Network community game. A Linux server would be great but at least make and Windows Dedicated Server.

And... Float Flying.

I 2nd the import tools. It would also be cool to have optional Auto-download of other people's planes... but that isn't very important.

-Omita

Bla bla bla.
Old 11-03-2002, 02:59 PM

I would like to see an add on of parkfliers and indoor at a golf dome.....Tom
Old 11-04-2002, 11:03 AM
Administrator

gmacfarlane, lists like this are fine with us! We like seeing what new features people are interested in. We would just ask people to keep in mind that just because an idea is posted here does not necessarily mean we'll end up implementing it. Having said that, fire away, and have fun with it!
Old 11-04-2002, 12:01 PM

OK, Thanks Ryan

Many thanks for your response, Ryan; regarding your comment ...just because an idea is posted here does not necessarily mean we'll end up implementing it..., I completely understand.

- Graeme
Old 12-30-2002, 03:56 PM

some good ideas!....

I like the idea about being able to add pictures of family and friends instead of the generic people offered....Imagine the "cool factor" of showing the G2 sim to a buddy, then having him see "himself" on the screen!...cool!...
Old 12-31-2002, 09:53 AM

Wish List

One of my little niggles at the moment, is having this auto reset of the plane after a crash. It would be nice to have, say a toggle key feature incorporated, to switch this on or off.
The other thing would be, to be able to start your engine at will, as well as turn it off.
Regards Keith (Mallorca, Spain)
Old 01-13-2003, 01:14 PM

yeah...

1) dedicated server (limit of 20 people instead of 8?) take a look at fs2002 server program 'fshost' for a good example.

2) rolling resistance and simulated grass(with optional lengths)

3) make it easier to terraform elevation and stuff....my r/c field has a hill...in the middle of the runway. On takeoff runs you must first fight slightly uphill, then downhill.

4) make the viewpoint changes easier.

5) when I select 'view ground' so taht I can keep an orientation as to where my plane is...quit resetting the dang thing if I change planes or fields. If I want to keep track of my location once...I always want to keep track of my location. Pressing the down arrow all the time is not sufficient for me.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:16 PM

My wish list...

1) Simulated drag for grass fields.

My clubs field is surrounded by 6" long grass. When landing too fast, it really slows down the plane before hitting the rough that is beyond the long grass. It would be nice to give the grass runway low drag, and give the surrounding long grass high drag, and the rough is considered a crash. A paved runway would have no drag.

2) Break apart crashes

I would like to see the airplane break apart when they crash. When you crash hard nose first, the wing would break away and break in the middle and the fuse would crumple. Maybe wing tips would tear off when in a mid air collision. How about giving us the ability to try to land a plane with a missing wing tip? Maybe have landing gears break away on a hard landing. How about landing gears break away on take-off and a nice belly landing would not be considered a crash.

3) Asymetric airplanes

Give us the ability to make one wing heavier than the other. Make the control throws more in one direction and less in the other.

4) Extended failure modes

Landing gear fails to extend. Wing folds up when pulling too high G move. Flutter. Vertical fin tears off (I've seen this happen). Battery failure. Switch failure.

I can go on and on. Can you tell I like to practice worst case conditions?

Juice
Old 02-25-2003, 08:39 PM

I'll jump in:

1. No annoying pauses when someone changes airplanes in multiplayer.

2. Better modelling of parkflyer electric planes.

3. Only host can change settings in the muliplayer airport (like turn off trees for everyone etc.)

4. Damage reports on a crash (broken prop, totalled, anything in between)

Carl
Old 02-26-2003, 05:44 AM

I'd like to add to Graeme's post, there's a lot of good 3D proggies out there (some are even free like Gmax), which can be used to create 3D models WITH all the extras like moving control surfaces, clear canopies etc.
The "only" thing needed here is a change of architecture which lets the user import those models, and instructions on how to do it or the layout of a "addon" airframe and how to add physical characteristics like CG, torque, wing airfoil influence etc.
In other words, a template for "addon" planes. Of course an integrated tool from KE would be better!
Another quirk of RF which I have already noticed is the shadow of the plane: it's calculated as a sum of shadows of plane parts instead of "or" function. In real life, unless there's a translucent surface, the shadow should be of equal darkness - it doesn't matter if 1 or 20 parts block the light, the shadow is of the same darkness.

Real life? Never heard of it!
Is it worth the download?
Old 02-26-2003, 07:31 PM

Wish List

Mine is simple, G3 with every thing. LeeU
Old 02-28-2003, 12:41 PM

Would like to be able to fly combat
Old 03-02-2003, 04:08 AM

Combat might be cool... but how do you make sure you don't shoot the RC Pilots?

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! MY EYE!!!!

-Omita

Bla bla bla.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:01 AM

Wish List

1. Landing Guidance
The main difference between real model flying and G2 is the limitation of view. 'Look at Ground' is one step helping getting an orientation about the planes whereabouts regarding the pilot and the airfield, but is cumbersome to use. I'd like to see some kind of 'Landing Guides' - optionally lines or arrows that would direct the path to the airfield once the pilots decides to land.

2. Easier airplane used channel view. Whenever i try a new plane if have to go to the select plane windows and read the text explaining about the RC functions the plane implements. I find it hard to remember which switch on my TX is which switch in G2. The only way to find these out is to go to the calibration screen and look at the switches. G2 'knows' which channels are used by the plane and should easily be able to display a windows showing used Channels and their current value allowing me to try the channels and see which one responds to which switch/stick/fuction

3. Mapping G2 functions to the RC. Like changing a view with an unused channel, at a certain threshold. The current keyboard shorcuts should suffice.

4. Instead of putting up the reminder 'switch of the tx' after closing G2, don't let me exit until the tx is off (optionally) with a BIG warning window.

5. Auto record of the last x minutes of flight. That would allow anylysis of any flight and especially after a crash/mistake. After a flight i could choose to save the recording. Resetting would erase it and start a new one.

Thank you Knife Edge for a wonderful simulator.
Michael Kaz

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: