Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight G3 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 08:22 PM

How to model using Google Sketchup

Do your thing on google sketchup, draw whatever you want, It doesn't take much work, just keep to a constant scaling size, then save the basic plane, minus any movable objects you want, then import the saved file into Media Machines Flux Studio, then export it as a 3ds, Import it into Realflight, and then you should be able to follow the rest of the instructions on the other tutorials...

happy now phrank?
Old 08-09-2008, 08:23 PM

Wow, that was easy.
Sorry I doubted you.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:24 PM

Not that anyone listens to me anyways
Old 08-09-2008, 08:27 PM

We listen.
Now you've got a good start.
Would you like to include screenshots of each step above please?
Old 08-10-2008, 04:57 AM

wow hold up i was "told" you couldnt make a model in sketch up. can i rwally?
Old 08-10-2008, 08:37 AM

You can "make a model" in any format you feel comfortable using, be it auto-cad, sketch-up or crayon. The real problem is assigning pivots, names and textures to the newly drawn model.
the physical "drawing" of the aircraft or "object" in some cases is the easy part of the process. the next step would be to cut out all the moving pieces. then you would name them correctly, so that the simulator recognizes them for what they are. now you need to place the pivot points, or rotational centers, in the correct location, so that when you throw the right stick over, the ailerons look like ailerons in motion, and not a bird flapping.
after all this is worked out, bring it into RF (.kex file) to verify it is all good, then "paint" your model, a real PITA depending on the method used to unwrap the skin, and the level of detail used.
So, if you can accomplish the "other stuff" besides "making a model" in sketch-up, then yes, by all means, please use this program.
Enjoy
crashed
Old 08-11-2008, 10:47 PM

will it work? Plz lets find out.

Hey MX314 and Vikingwarrior or other that use Sketchup,

It is not that we ( The current model makers ) are telling you that you can not use the programs, It is just that we have not seen it done before No one really know until it is done. I was told that Wings3D could not make a map usable in Real Flight but I figured out a way to use it and it works. (older version could not, but the Newer version can )

To import a Raw 3D model in to Real Flight G3 and G4 you need the Finished 3D Model, A Uv Map , the Hierarchy tree, and the Pivots points set up and all wrapped up in to.KEX file. After the KEX file is imported in to Real Flight and the flight physics are set, it can then be exported as a .G3X or RXF. There is only two was to get this KEX file.

1. Use the 3D Max Plug-in provided on this forum for Autodesk 3ds Max software
ver 5, Ver 6 , 7 , 8 , and now there's a plug-in for Ver 9 if I'm reading it right. In 3D Max you can Make the model, set the pivots points, make the Hierarchy Tree, Assign simple color textures ( stuff not printable by users ) and do the UV mapping ( the Map users can paint them self)

Some modelers are using other Cad software to make the model and then using 3Dmax for every thing else.

2 The other way to get a KEX file is to use the DOS Command line 3DS2KEX.exe program found on this forum. This will only convert a ########.3DS ( 8 letter File name maximum ) to the KEX file. This is the way that half of the modelers do there great work. They make the model and export it and import it in to many different program to get the end result . THE END RESULT MUST BE A ###### . 3DS FILE to use the converter.

Programs being use now are listed below. ( as far as I know )

Wings3D > Modeling > UV Mapping
Blender > Modeling > UV Mapping > Pivots > Hiehricry
Gmax > Modeling > Pivots > UV Mapping >Hiehracy
Deep Exploration > pivots > Heihracy + setting color and glossness
Media Machines Flux Studio > modeling ( not sure what else it does beside corverging formats)
ACD3 >UV Mapping
Unwrap3d > UV Mapping
LithUnwrap > UV mapping

This is not the complete list but this is all of the programs I know that has been used to make parts of Real Flight Models. If any Modeler use different program to make a model or part of one please let me know and I make a new list.

I have seen the forum the question about Sketch Up Rhino, Solid works, and Catia if they will work. I asked the people asking the question to make a simple " Model.3ds " to see if I can import it and get it working but no one has taken me up on my offer so we'll never know if they will work or not.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to wolfpack12
using blender is brain surgery to me i'll try to use this program

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: