Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #121  
Old 06-19-2019, 06:24 PM
Ron6234's Avatar
Ron6234 Ron6234 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 315
the cowl flaps look great, nice work Technoid!
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 06-19-2019, 06:48 PM
legoman's Avatar
legoman legoman is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SW, Florida
Posts: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Well a bit more tweaking while I'm at it. I went back and added cowl flaps.
Now all it needs is an air scoop for carburetor and oil cooler. don't be mad and don't shoot me.
__________________
Even pigs and bricks will fly with enough thrust.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 06-19-2019, 07:31 PM
uncle twist's Avatar
uncle twist uncle twist is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Now all it needs is an air scoop for carburetor and oil cooler. don't be mad and don't shoot me.
Those`s would be really nice additions as well... ....Tech., you might as well..before you get to the point that you say "yeah, I should have added those too" after you release it... Don`t shoot me either...
__________________
Why do today, what you can put off `till tomorrow
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 06-20-2019, 10:19 AM
technoid's Avatar
technoid technoid is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,935
Yeah I was already looking at the different styles to add one on the top but hadn't decided on what I wanted to do yet, does this work?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flying Boat 28.jpg (60.9 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 06-20-2019, 12:32 PM
BrokeDad's Avatar
BrokeDad BrokeDad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,850
My first impression was a little wider and less tall. But I don't know what is normal.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 06-20-2019, 01:08 PM
technoid's Avatar
technoid technoid is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
My first impression was a little wider and less tall. But I don't know what is normal.
The width is fixed by the segments around the cowl the height I don't know I just eyeballed it. So what does everyone else say about the height?
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 06-20-2019, 01:50 PM
legoman's Avatar
legoman legoman is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SW, Florida
Posts: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Yeah I was already looking at the different styles to add one on the top but hadn't decided on what I wanted to do yet, does this work?
looks good. maybe a little shorter and the same width but over all it looks good
__________________
Even pigs and bricks will fly with enough thrust.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 06-20-2019, 04:13 PM
uncle twist's Avatar
uncle twist uncle twist is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,170
I`ll have to agree with Legoman, just a little shorter. Probably about 1/5 or 1/6 of what it is now. I`m leaning towards 1/6 th.
__________________
Why do today, what you can put off `till tomorrow
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 06-21-2019, 01:56 AM
technoid's Avatar
technoid technoid is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,935
Okay give this a look and see what you think. I changed the view some so you can see the scale of the intake better. The height was reduced by 1/8th and I reworked the back to make it round down a little faster. Anyway see what you think.

Oh one more thing I changed but it's not in the picture. I changed the float struts so they don't look like the Catalina anymore, more like the Sprouse Goose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flying Boat 29.jpg (171.2 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 06-21-2019, 02:17 AM
uncle twist's Avatar
uncle twist uncle twist is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,170
HMMM, seeing it from that perspective, the shape/height looks good, but maybe just a little too big, I`d say reduce the whole size just a little. Mind you Tech. I know nothing about those scoops, SO, take my comment lightly, it`s based solely on the pic...... I don`t know what the float struts look like on the "SPRUCE GOOSE", so I`ll save my opinion on that for later...
__________________
Why do today, what you can put off `till tomorrow
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 06-21-2019, 03:02 AM
technoid's Avatar
technoid technoid is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle twist View Post
HMMM, seeing it from that perspective, the shape/height looks good, but maybe just a little too big, I`d say reduce the whole size just a little. Mind you Tech. I know nothing about those scoops, SO, take my comment lightly, it`s based solely on the pic...... I don`t know what the float struts look like on the "SPRUCE GOOSE", so I`ll save my opinion on that for later...
I'm not sure it's too big take a look at these intakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0129.jpg (155.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DC-3.jpg (100.4 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 06-21-2019, 08:17 AM
asj5547 asj5547 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Okay give this a look and see what you think. I changed the view some so you can see the scale of the intake better. The height was reduced by 1/8th and I reworked the back to make it round down a little faster. Anyway see what you think.

Oh one more thing I changed but it's not in the picture. I changed the float struts so they don't look like the Catalina anymore, more like the Sprouse Goose.
The intake scoop looks good to me.
There are so many different scoop sizes on real world aircraft, so whatever you choose they will look authentic, for example here are some pics of scoops on the Short Solent seaplane, (way overkill to what you have) I like your "artist impression" the best, excellent work as usual, Technoid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Short Solent 1.jpg (29.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: png Short Solent 4jpg.jpg.png (420.2 KB, 5 views)
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 06-21-2019, 02:20 PM
technoid's Avatar
technoid technoid is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,935
Okay here's what I'm going with I also added another intake to the bottom. Now I need to mirror this one to the other side and rework one of them to use for the inside engines. They do add a nice touch to the plane and was worth the effort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flying Boat 30.jpg (55.5 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 06-21-2019, 02:31 PM
uncle twist's Avatar
uncle twist uncle twist is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
I'm not sure it's too big take a look at these intakes.
Agreed,, you`ll notice I gave myself a couple of disclaimers in that post..., In regards to the above pic., Tech. it looks fantastic, so glad you decided to move ahead with it.........OH, and that Eastern Airlines paint job is looking mighty familiar...
__________________
Why do today, what you can put off `till tomorrow

Last edited by uncle twist; 06-21-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 06-21-2019, 05:58 PM
Ron6234's Avatar
Ron6234 Ron6234 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 315
The scoops look great Technoid, I would go with what you have they look fine to me!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:48 PM.