Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight G3 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2007, 04:18 AM

Exclamation Gmax and Deep-Exploaration - Export - Tutorial; Making aircraft for G3

There were several threads, asking how to generate an aircraft for the Realflight 3.5. RC Simulator. While there are a lot of people, which are using 3dsmax in combination with the .kex - plugin that really needs 3dsmax, I want to explain a method using gmax, Deep-Exploration, and a small tool called middleman together with the mdlcommander file. As example file we will probably using my 3dbatix-Pitts-S2C - Foamy to generate a typical plane for G3 and to stay in connection with the great KnifeEdge - Tutorials for 3dsmax.

The tutorial will be devided into different parts, so the designers can follow it step by step. I will try to keep it as simply as possible, so that everyone can follow my explanations. I will also try to focus on freeware available programs, so the software which is needed to build a plane, is as cheaply as it can be made at the moment, not using 3dsmax.

I will also adding a couple of images, that you can see what I'm making in the different programs. But this will take a little more time.

There will will a lot of editing in this thread by me, making explanations clear and simple if there are questions. To make it easier for the users of this forum to get directly and fast answers to their questions, I will open a second - discussion thread here, so that this main thread stays without comments and the users doesn't have to read through thousand of comments. SO, PLEASE DON'T POST COMMENTS HERE. Be welcome to ask me everything in the other thread. What I will firstly not explain is the whole modelling topic, how to build an aircraft in details using gmax. The export process is complicated enough. There are thousands of tutorials building 3 dimensional objects in gmax. Simply search using google or other threads in this forum.

Have fun!

Max

Content:

- Part 1: Software and Preparations.

- Part 2: Testing setup and configuration.
- Part 2.1: Testing setup and configuration: Generating a test .tga file for our object
- Part 2.2: Testing setup and configuration: Generating the x. - file; DE setup
- Part 2.3: Testing setup and configuration: DE export settings; Generating a .KEX file
- Part 3: Generating an aircraft for G3 (3.5): Working in gmax (Materials, Pivots and Hierarchy structure), Naming convention and hierarchy structure in Deep Exploration, Setup of a .3ds - file for the .kex - exporter, Working in the support file
- Part 3.1: Working with gmax, Materials, Pivots and Hierarchy structure in DE.
- Part 3.2: Naming convention and hierarchy structure in the .kex - file; Editing of the .sup - file of the .kex - exporter.

Last edited by maxkop; 01-06-2007 at 03:57 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: