Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight G3 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-28-2005, 02:31 PM

more very high res photofields

Hi,

If you are looking for some more very high res photofields try this website and download the ones created for Reflex XTR (they seem much better quality than the ones for aerofly)

http://www.rc-sim.de/dl_engine_eng/

I think you have to register first but its free

some examples ...

http://img334.imageshack.us/img334/4...eengrab4lo.jpg
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/2732/sg22ee.jpg

regards,

Tony

Last edited by nemo_uk; 08-28-2005 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:54 PM

Quick question mate: once you download a photofield, do you install it into the "Airports" folder in G3?
Old 08-28-2005, 04:03 PM

Hi,

There is an option to import a raw panoramic image ...

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2779/import1iv.jpg

regards,

Tony
Old 08-28-2005, 05:30 PM

you can also import the scenery direct from the reflex XTR demo

http://www.reflex-sim.dyndns.org/ref...t.php?cPath=23

the different scenes are contained in the following folder ...

C:\Program Files\REFLEX Demo\Umwelt\Wlp\

note: the jpegs are 8160 x 3060 pixels so they take a while to import.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:55 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks mate!!
Old 08-28-2005, 09:35 PM

Okay, I downloaded two fields from Reflex. They look nice, but are not quite up to snuf are they.

For one, you can't crash into anything. Trees, fences, buildings, just fly right through them. And if I use Autozoom the pixels in the pic get very large and blurry.

Still, it is fun to try new things.

Thanks again!
Old 08-28-2005, 11:52 PM

It's all about collision mapping...

G3 photo scenes use excellent collision mapping in their two photo environments. It must be a bear to memory-map all the objects in a photo for collision points.

I was pleasantly pleased with all the collision points, ability to fly behind objects, and the icing on the cake; the landing gear break-away, both singly or doubly. Even landing hard without breaking the gear will kill the engine, presumably from a prop-hit, or just smacking the ground too hard. It really makes you land with much more precision.

The imported photo scenes don't seem to have any collision points besides the obvious deck. You may fly in a parking lot and never hit anything...good for the ego, but not very realistic. ;-}

Charles
Old 08-29-2005, 02:25 AM

Quote:
For one, you can't crash into anything. Trees, fences, buildings, just fly right through them.
You can use the airport editor to place actual 3D objects in the scene. If there is a trash can in your imported photofield, open up the airport editor and put a 3D trash can there. It will help to use the pilot preview window to get the object placement just right.

You can then change the Render to Depth Buffer flag to Yes and the 3D trash can will become invisible, but you can still collide with it. It will also pull the photograph in, making it possible to fly behind the trash can.

Open up one of the shipped photofield airports in the airport editor. You will see that there are just a bunch of red collidable trees and things. They are used to generate the collision information.

Travis
Old 08-29-2005, 08:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Breakstuff5050
I got this one scene for reflex on g3 and the scenery was like waaayyy overscaled for the size it should be, anyone know whats wrong?
Old 08-29-2005, 09:13 PM

I'm can't tell what you're decscribing. What's oversized? The files it creates? The objects in the photo? The terrain?
Old 08-29-2005, 09:57 PM

ummmm, its hard for me to explain, ill upload the raw photo i used for yall to look at. Well, the pic exceeds the upload limit, if yall want to look at it for yourselves e-mail me at breakstuff5050@yahoo.com
Old 08-30-2005, 01:37 AM

Lightbulb

The best results I got with the XTR sceneries, are with those that are taken from distance, making RFG3 become more realistic (logical plane size compared to the surrounding environement).
So the higher is the resolution of the scenery image, and the farther the objects look in that image, the better it shows in G3.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Aaron Oki Moore Send a message via MSN to Aaron Oki Moore Send a message via Yahoo to Aaron Oki Moore
I'm not a 100% sure if this is your problem, but the photofield MAY be rotated off axis. For example, if the ground in the photofield doesn't line up with the ground plane that the vehicle lies on, it'll look like the vehice is getting really big or really small compared to the ground.

There is an option in the airport editor to rotate the photofield. If you set the "render height terrain" to yes... you can use that as a guide to line up the ground in the photofield. Make sure u use the pilot preview window to see how things line up.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:01 PM

I think that could be the problem, because i noticed it was really bad one way, but not as bad the other way, ill see if i can get it to work better, thanks for the suggestion!
Old 09-03-2005, 09:32 AM

Odd pano "image scale"

Breakstuff5050,

Re your post concerning scale... a problem I have noted with Reflex and AFPD custom RC field pano images, is that the horizon must be at the center of the pano frame, otherwise the plane may appear to be tiny sometimes compared to grass or leaves on the field for example.

Think of the pano frame as being say 8000 x 4000 pixels but your actual pano photo image may be displayed higher or lower within in this frame... basically the lower your photo is displayed the larger the plane will be relative to the background in the sim... the sweet spot in terms of proper scale display size would be to position the pano photo horizon at exactly one half of the height of the pano frame, or 4000 pixels high in the present example. Note that the G3 pano frame size is actually larger than this example.

In any event try this and see if it helps the scale issue you were experiencing...

Bucko

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: