Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 09-19-2018, 04:17 PM

Newbie what plane to start with

As a total newbie interested in rc planes what planes would you recommend to start with. In other words what is the best way to get started.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 09-19-2018, 07:25 PM

Ummm...look down about 4 postings for answers to almost the same question.....
Old 09-20-2018, 06:32 AM

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33421
Old 09-21-2018, 04:00 AM

I am the one that started that post the others are suggesting you look at. After some playing around I can make a few suggestions for you. If you don't want to mess with importing any planes or messing around with with the aircraft edit menu I found a couple that come stock with RF8 that are not too bad.

Take a look at the ElectriStar or the Sig Seniorita. Both are fairly easy to fly and what I can guess would be close to a basic trainer plane. My only suggestion might be to use the aircraft editor to make the plane look larger. It is in the first tab of the editor. It won't effect the physics of the aircraft, just makes it graphically larger. Only reason I suggest it is because it makes the plane easier to see while you are flying it, especially if it gets too far away from you.

Try it with the physics set to realistic, if you have problems set it to beginner and work your way up to "realistic" as you get better and more comfortable flying it.

The PT 40 and Ripmax WOT 4 were not bad either. I didn't care for the Flyzone Sensei and nexstar ep myself. They seemed a bit nose heavy or something and don't fly level even at full throttle.

the Piper Cub wasn't too bad either.

Just my opinions anyway. keep in mind I have never flown a real RC plane yet. Those are just the stock RF8 planes I find fairly easy to fly and land.

If you want to import some planes there are several that are pretty nice. However for me I had to go into the editor and fix some issues they had to make them work correctly. That might just be an issue with my set up though.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
Does anyone else here find it odd that a newbie is telling others how to fly before he has ever lifted off the ground in the real thing?
No, not really. Nice the hear all RF users views imho.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:33 PM

I assume you are talking about me? I am not "telling" anyone how to fly and nothing I said has anything to do with real aircraft be it RC or other. Someone referred him to a post rather than answering his question. That post happened to be started by me. So I gave him my opinion based on the advice I got here and other places. Some of it from you by the way.

It is a simulator, if it doesn't work for him he isn't out anything. He just hits the re set button.

I personally see nothing wrong with two people of around the same experience level in a game, or simulator discussing things they have tried or learned. I always thought the mutual exchange of ideas was a good thing myself. When you were learning to be a pilot you never had conversations with the other students about how your training was going?

You did notice that I said it was just my opinion and I admitted my skill level. I didn't claim to have decades of experience or be speaking the word of god as I know it in the land of RC flying. Simply my opinions based on 50 or so hours playing around with the sim trying to figure out the same thing. I also considered it a continuation of sorts to the thread he was referred to. As in, that is what I discovered for myself after asking the same question.

If anything I said was wrong you could have just corrected me.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:18 PM

Sounds like someone needs a hug.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:52 PM

Yay, name calling. That didn't take long lol. Well other than the gasmonkey comment. I am not sure if that was aimed at me though, or if you just have some issues with someone that worked at an airport when you were getting your supposed pilots license. I am guessing you probably have a lot of issues with a lot of people. You just seem like that kind of a guy.

I am the troll, really? You didn't even bother adding any useful info to the thread. You just popped in to stir up crap and comment on how little experience I have. Which I admitted before you pointed it out by the way. If the dude doesn't want to consider my opinion that is fine, it is his choice. However it is a simulator though and it isn't going to cost him any money by crashing a real plane. Like I said, if I gave him bad info or you didn't agree with my opinion just correct me and give him the correct advice. I have read some of your posts, you are certainly not opposed to the idea of correcting others.

And on the subject of your posts and trolling, holy crap dude! Do you go out of your way to be difficult or does it just come natural? You said in an above post "I seek experience and expertise". No you don't. You don't seek any information at all here, I am sure of it. I think you seek validation that you are special and important. You need to read the definition of troll and re read some of your posts.

And a perv? Where the heck did that come from? What have I said on this forum that is perverted, please enlighten me. Unless you mean because I said someone needed a hug?
Old 09-26-2018, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle twist View Post
Knock it off 12-0, As forum members, we`re suppose to be attracting members to the forums/RF, not drive them away. Paulmohr If he reply's again, just ignore him, he`ll go away, he always does. trust me..

So do you think 12-O is Detrimental to this forum? Sorry, just kidding, and pretty self evident imho.

However none of us, including myself, are without sin.

I remember your terse reply to me when I questioned that you said that the word Detrimental could be used as a positive or as a negative. It was a silly unimportant argument and I'm sorry I did not just let it slide (= my sin).

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...6&postcount=67

Which then lead onto this;

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...4&postcount=75

As experienced users, myself included, I think that we can all get a little too terse and pedantic at times. We all need to lighten up a little and respect others points of view imho.

Some of us are experienced Sim, RC and aircraft flyers. Some, just one or two of these. It should not make any difference. We are just trying to have some fun.

Last edited by TomC; 09-26-2018 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle twist View Post
TomC, I try too respect everyone`s point of view, sometimes we all have too express them at times, and sometimes we have too agree to disagree, I`m fine with that. 12-0 has been a member a long time, as have I, he`s made a lot of positive comments and negative ones as well, IMHO more negative`s, as my memory goes. If I have anything negative too say, I try to do it in a nice way, without insulting that particular person, such as 12-0 in this case, for him too call Paulmohr a perv and a troll is completely out of line and uncalled for. I`m not sure if you`re trying to apologize to me or not, IF you are, I accept it.....(=my sin) you say,.. I get that, if that`s a confession of sorts, then you are forgiven ...

We are good mate. Cheers.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:08 PM

I told you we needed hugs lol. Did I just start a group therapy session? Or maybe an intervention?

I may have been a bit harsh in my response as well. I will admit that some of the posts I have read from 12-0 are pleasant, helpful and contribute some good information. And with almost 4,000 posts I certainly didn't read them all.

We all have bad days, or maybe have difficult lives. Believe me I understand that. I care for my mother who has dementia. My life can get very stressful. Sometimes we get triggered and act out in a way we normally wouldn't. It happens in every forum I have been to. The important thing is that we move on from it and learn to let the little petty stupid things go.

Jeff, I hope we didn't scare you away lol. There truly is a lot of good information on this site.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:19 PM

Well like it or not, if I have an opinion that I think might help someone I am going to give it. In this case I thought my opinion was relevant to his question since he was referred to the thread I started.

And of course it is possible for a beginner to know how one airplane flies compared to another, especially in a simulator. It isn't rocket science. You spend hours flying different planes back to back and comparing them to each other. All I did was give him opinions based on some aircraft that come stock with the game, not ones he has to download and import and possibly fix in the editor because a servo or surface might be mapped wrong. Some guys don't want to mess with that.

I also had faith that if I steered him wrong in some way someone here would correct the issue. So far I haven't seen anyone on here jumping in and saying "Oh my god that is horrible advice, don't do that!". So I guess I sort of did ok for a newbie.

And I don't give a crap what you think of me or if you like me either. So I guess that feeling is mutual. I will tell you what I am not going to do though is run away crying because grandpa was mean to me or doesn't like me.

Oh, and by the way, I didn't offer to give you a hug. I just said it sounded like someone needed one. If that triggered you somehow then that is your issue dude, not mine lol.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I really don't care what you think of me. I believe in no BS technical advice. I did not ask for a "snowflake hug" and find that to be passive aggressive trolling behavior. Try telling me you are more holy than I am. Maybe you get it, possibly you don't.

I try to stay away from the beginner questions and let others answer them. Then you have a beginner answering beginner questions. How is it even possible for a beginner to know how good or bad an airplane flies. Further, making adjustments to someone's design? It just does not compute.

Experienced people should tell grasshopper to slow down and listen. You cannot listen with your mouth engaged.

Good example; this morning, radio programming issue came up at the field. The whole group was throwing out this idea and that idea. No solution worked. I waited, listened and then walked over and fixed it with a simple flip of a switch. I waited and waited for the group to come to the solution. They never did.

I know my crap and don't put up with BS. There is a lot of it here.
You really need a hug mate. Probably from a 600 lb grizzly bear, lol!
Old 09-26-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
You should not talk about your wife that way.
Wow, witty and offensive. You really have it all. We are soooo lucky that you grace us all with your presence, lol!
Old 09-26-2018, 10:08 PM

TomC, Paulmohr, 12-0 I recommend we delete all of our comments after post #5 (of coarse 12-0, YOU`ll have to delete #5 and the rest as well if you want to join in), Anyway,that will leave only 12-0`s comments left, thus, making him looking like a ranting fool, If you agree, just leave a post saying "done" of coarse, I`ll leave this one up until 12-0 joins the deletions if he so desires, I`m going too delete all of my previous comments right now,

Last edited by uncle twist; 09-26-2018 at 10:35 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: