Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G4
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 08:17 AM

No antialiasing/anisotropy in Win7/64bit with GTX285

Since v3.0 I complained about not having an internal application setup for antialiasing and anisotropy. The answer was always that this was not needed since the drivers would support an external setting.

While this always a crappy solution for a couple of reasons, it now fails on me completely after I updated to Windows 7 (64bit). Whatever I select in the Nvidia application setting for RealFlight.exe has no influence at all.

Any chance that KE finally implements these basic options? It's not like rocket science and IMHO it's a must have for any serious 3D application anyway.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:18 PM

Did you try flipping into FULL SCREEN mode?

Most of the Anti-Aliasing settings do not work in Windowed mode, as this would require anti-aliasing the desktop as well, which is handled by Windows separately.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:32 PM

Sure. It's not like I try this the first time if I made that impression. Like I said, I'm doing this since I bought the copy of RF3 several years ago. It always was a pain in the rear, but now it fails completely.

Anyway, I never understood why the guys at KE refuse so vigorously to simply implement such a basic feature over so many years. And while it was only a nuisance all these years, now finally this attitude of "let other people do our work" takes its toll.

Hell, yeah, we have water and soon can cut streamers and all and yet this sim is missing the most basic 3d configuration features.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:22 PM

If you are not getting anti-aliasing even with the Nvidia driver overrides turned on, in full screen mode, then the problem is not with the sim itself, rather it is a problem with the drivers.

The Ansiotrophy and anti-aliasing settings should be enabled in full screen mode if the drivers are capable of them, no matter what the program does.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose
If you are not getting anti-aliasing even with the Nvidia driver overrides turned on, in full screen mode, then the problem is not with the sim itself, rather it is a problem with the drivers.
The driver override is always a hack. Most of the times it works, but since it's a hack, it's in no way guaranteed to work and may have side effects or fail completely.
Obviously it doesn't work in Windows 7 64bit with G4.5. Maybe because G4.5 is a 32bit application and the driver is a 64bit driver.
Anyway there would be no need to rely on a driver override if G4.5 would offer some basic 3D configuration features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose
The Ansiotrophy and anti-aliasing settings should be enabled in full screen mode if the drivers are capable of them, no matter what the program does.
Nope. There are several games that can't be forced to apply anisotropy/antialiasing by the driver override. And even more were the override results in severe problems.

And though I hate to repeat myself: yes, the override hack always worked for me in the last years with XP/32bit, but no, it doesn't work any more in Win7/64bit. And if G4.5 had anisotropy/aliasing settings which are neither hard to implement nor an unimportant feature, we wouldn't have to rely on driver hacks.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:53 PM

AA Not working in Win7

I had same problem running G4.5 and Nvidia is aware of forced AA not working in Win7 because they mention it in the known issues of the lastest driver update; but they aren't admitting that its their problem. Good news however; I purchased the upgrade to G5 and forced AA works perfectly!
Old 11-14-2009, 10:09 PM

Interesting.

At the least that means Nvidia will be forced to address the problem as more users encounter it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: