Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G4
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:02 AM

How real is it

hi all,

First, I'd like to thank all those that contributed to the CDT TRex 500.

I'm a total noob to RC flying. Just went to hobby town and grabbed x9303 and Trex 500 along with battery, charger and gyro and most importatnly the G4.5.

updated the g4.5 to the latest and added the CDT TRex 500.

Just trying to hover this thing is a drag, I can't keep it still in one place, as soon as it takes off it's all over the place. Is this what I should expect when I fly the real thing? Trying to set the trim isn't doing any good either.

I'm also learning the prospective from further away, it's almost like I can't see what orientation the heli is and have to guess.

thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 05:54 AM

WOW... that was an expensive trip to the hobby shop. You jumped in at a high level, some might say too high. I would suggest slowing down and stay ENTIRELY on the software simulator for a couple of months. You need to find a mentor to guide you and a local flying club. You should have someone build your heli for you. You have too much to learn to fly and build at the same time.

Usually the progression is to fly the planes first to build your coordination and reflexes for the control system. As a first level of expectation, you need to be able to hoover helis rock solid in all four upright orientations. Yes it is possible to hoover the sim and the reason you cannot control the heli is because you have no control at all. If I were you, I would look first at the training videos for the helis included with the sim. I would even look at buying some of the least expensive two bladed contra rotating helis. They are beginner birds... Flying is a non trivial skill that takes time to learn and practice... It is not difficult but practice practice practice is required. Plan on crashing some equipment and include it in your budget... it does not have to be a $1000 bird.

At this point you can either listen, slow down and learn or get anxious, crash, get discouraged and quit. Flying is an enjoyable past time where you can meet some people and enjoy the experience or be a flash in the pan. Next year, at this time you may be where you want to be.... I know because last year, I was you... just not as expensive. I continue to fly the sim every day, and get outside whenever practical and the wind permits. I earned my "All Season" patch from AMA and I am enjoying the flying more than ever.

Last edited by wjkssmd; 03-11-2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:26 AM

I agree with WJ.

It would be a good idea to take your time and fly your simulator. Definitely consider buying a 3 or 4 channel helicopter. Something you can fly inside your residence with relative ease.

I have been flying scale models for about 20 years and I'm still learning all of the time. The flying skills take time.

You are off to a great start by reading these posts and asking questions! Knowledge is power and the experience of others will be invaluable to you.

The key for me is to practice, have fun and enjoy the company of your fellow flyers.

Congratulations! See you on the fields!

-PD
Old 03-11-2009, 11:02 AM

I mostly agree. Stay on the sim. If you can't fly the sim, then you can't fly the real thing.

I don't agree in buying a CX type heli (counter rotating). I think those are a waste of time as they generally hover themselves. They can teach you orientation, but so can the sim. They can't teach much else than that.

If you want to start small on a "real" heli, I'd try something like this: http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...ax/hmxe07.html Right now, with all the Tower Hobby offers, its only $125. It will cost you $20 to $30 on every crash. You'll grow out of it quickly, so its a bit of a waste of $125, but it will give you a good taste of what its like to crash in real life. Crashing is more disappointing that you might think from using the sim. I was always more disappointed in that I was done flying for the day than in the money I needed to spend on parts.

The Axe also comes with a pretty good training video.

I didn't think the heli training videos on RealFlight (at least on G4) were very good. It's basically someone saying "Ok, the first you do is take off", then he flies around for a while, and the video ends. (KE: If you check out Axe CP training video, I think they had a better approach. I learned more from that than the intro videos in G4.)

Of course G4 is a MUST for practicing. There's a big difference in knowing what you need to do and being able to do it .

Last edited by Spareparts; 03-11-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:12 PM

I don't disagree with spare parts... yes the counter rotating head helis are way too simple. My first heli was something like a honey bee... in the $100 range and no real power, but it was enough to hook me. There are many other small helis in the $250 price range that will not break the bank.

Most of all, stick with the sim if you want to fly helis... any time with the sticks on any aircraft seems to help you get your head around this idea of flying from a fixed position. Keep the helis in close to you... they are tremendously difficult to fly the farther away you get.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:33 PM

The question is "How real is it". Not which helicopter do you recommend. Please do not turn this in to a RC helicopter discussion.

Thanks Chris McVey
Old 03-11-2009, 01:46 PM

10inja it's accurate.

e.g. it's real enough, if anything G4.5 may be a bit more forgiving than the real world...

So yeah Helis are not easy to fly.

Which is why everyone jumped into the discussion about what you SHOULD be flying instead of what you purchased.... making that germain to the conversation.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:06 PM

thanks to all for the great advice as per your advice, I plan on taking two months to build the plane, learn to program the x9303 and use the simulator.
by then I should know how close I am to flying the real thing, and I would probably take the advice of getting a cheaper heli first.

thanks a bunch.. this should be fun as in San Diego, CA the weather is nice year long.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10inja
this should be fun as in San Diego, CA the weather is nice year long.
You don't have to rub it in!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 05:18 PM

Chris is right... how real is it??...

It is a pretty good approximation of the helis.... good enough that it will take you far into the hobby and allow you to learn some pretty good moves.

The feel of my "real" heli is a bit different, but not enough to prevent good flight. It is possible to adjust both the real heli and the sim to approximate one another. Guys have different preferences about how hot they want to make the controls and how soft the stick center is, but generally RF has it right. Any heli choice is worth spending time... the 90 size helis are easier to fly, and the helis get a more difficult as the size decreases, but boy can they move out. Don't get fixated on the 500 being a perfect representation. It is great, but you can expect differences.

One training aid is to fly from point to point on the ground... kind of a baseball diamond movement. Learn to fly the diamond in all orientations. If you just jump into forward flight, figure eights and stall turns you will have to return to landing and basic movements at some point.

Be sure to turn on some sim wind in a couple of weeks. I know you are in SD, but I am sure they have some wind there too.

Last edited by wjkssmd; 03-11-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10inja
I would probably take the advice of getting a cheaper heli first.
I would not go with this advice. Buying a cheap helicopter is just a waste of money. You have one hell of a helicopter already, why not use it? The 500 is very large and extremely stable. There is no reason at all to buy a little helicopter than flies nothing like your big one. Just go to your local flying club, get some help setting it up, and make sure it isn't very responsive with low rates the first time you fly it. If you spend a couple months on G4.5, you should have no problem at all in flying your real thing. Most importantly though, don't rush things. Take your time, make sure you do things right the first time.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelatio
I would not go with this advice. ... Just go to your local flying club, get some help setting it up, and make sure it isn't very responsive with low rates the first time you fly it. ...
thanks, my plan is that the manager that helped me at Hobby Town was going to review my build and make any adjustments and test fly it first, then I'll take it to the club and have someon mentor me.

it depends how I good I get with the G4.5 and how confident, I might want to trash a much cheaper heli first, but your point taken as far as stability.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:37 PM

10inja - Welcome aboard.

I did pretty much like you last summer (but with a bit cheaper heli to start with)

2 Months on the sim then fly baby fly.

As a noob and without advices, I learn on the sim using my thumbs only.
Then I was told pinching was better for most people.

As a perfectionist, I switched to pinching. It took me a while to get used to it.
Now I wouldn’t go back to thumb flying.

So my 2c for you… Start pinching right away.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:22 PM

I totally agree with Zelatio, you did not pick the wrong heli. Fly on the sim religiously, and it will save you so much money on trips to the hobby shop.

You bought a really good heli to start with and most importantly you bought the right simulator.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thpppttt
I totally agree with Zelatio, you did not pick the wrong heli. Fly on the sim religiously, and it will save you so much money on trips to the hobby shop.

You bought a really good heli to start with and most importantly you bought the right simulator.
I'm still not sure about the heli choice. I think its better to by RealFlight first, train for a couple months, and then go shopping for the real thing. In other words, $1250 worth of R/C stuff would certainly be the wrong choice if you decided you didn't like R/C before you even got to fly it, or if you try to fly the real thing before you're ready.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: